2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 164 Posts

Cracked windshields seem to be a thing. I am on the lneos Grenadier forum and quite a few owners are reporting the windshield cracked at the lower centre for no apparent reason (no indication of rock hit)

Old 01-07-2024, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 422 Likes on 197 Posts

Mine is just replaced with an aftermarket Saint Gobain windshield, let's see how these hold up.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:43 PM
Huc
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by lightning
Cracked windshields seem to be a thing. I am on the lneos Grenadier forum and quite a few owners are reporting the windshield cracked at the lower centre for no apparent reason (no indication of rock hit)
My first windshield cracked from the bottom in the lower slightly right of center - no rock hit. This was essentially a pressure crack from install and there were numerous folks discussing that very issue somewhere in the forum.

My second windshield has NOT had any pressure crack from install. Just dings/chips from rock strikes as expected for any vehicle (my Toyota FJ windshields were even more vertical than Defenders and were effectively rock and sand blasting magnets). That would casually appear to lend credence to the theory of what many others experienced here for poor installation or whatever it actually is/was w.r.t. to Defender cracked windscreens. It may well be the same issue for the Grenadier.

I often wondered if there was perhaps a bit more flex in the aluminum unibody Defender that made the windscreen cracking an issue. However, as noted in various discussions here and in various technical videos, and discussions elsewhere on line and in person, this unibody frame appears more rigid or equal to body on frame (Grenadier and my FJ, etc) rigidity. As such I'd lean to the Grenadier cracks likely similar to the Defenders - i.e. installation issue. That's all pure speculation on my part.

Given I have zero deductible full OEM or equal (I always spec OEM for various reasons on luxury vehicles) replacement glass coverage insurance through State Farm for +/- US$35 per year and no limit on all vehicles past and present - I'm not concerned. I treat the windscreen like tires; a wear/expendable items I'd need to replace as needed like tires.

Old 04-27-2024, 05:11 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023.5 Defender cracked windshield

hi...add me to the spontaneous cracked windshield in Defender club...
I have 2023.5 Defender 110 X dynamic. It has only 10K miles on it. Haven't yet got it off road yet (i use my reliable 2013 LR2 for that!)...Yesterday, noted a large crack on passenger side. No rock or tree branch or even bad weather ..just cracked...
I'd appreciate the forum's advice :
1. I set up a Safelite appointment..they did good job on my son's Audi but will they be ok for the Defender 110 and its windshield specs?
2. Is this something the dealer should address as vehicle is just owned 8 months.
3. I'm in Massachusetts...my insurance seemed to cover previous windshield issues but again should I ask dealer to take care of it instead?
4. Anyone know if JLR has begun recall or some such since this appears to be a prevalent issue?
5. If not dealer repair/replace, any recommendation for service by other than Safelite?
Very much appreciate all the info on this forum and any help with this annoying issue..
nick in massachusetts