Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 10:23 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
do you also have glossy painted body colored lower like the "X" and "X-Dynamic" or the black matte plastic lower?

Also, do you guys who have the paint chips have mud flags on your car?
No. UPDATE: My JLR is taking in my car to examine my spots. I'm hopeful they get me back to "whole" and then a preventive attach is planned. Does yours have the flaps? My thought is the side step up rails prevent it from future spots.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Mine is scheduled to be delivered in July. Let's see what JLR have to say and do about this. I considered the mud flaps when I built mine but decided against it as the installation is quite involved with removal of bumper and such. Maybe aftermarket simple attached mud flaps are available by now.

Originally Posted by cdiceman
No. UPDATE: My JLR is taking in my car to examine my spots. I'm hopeful they get me back to "whole" and then a preventive attach is planned. Does yours have the flaps? My thought is the side step up rails prevent it from future spots.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:34 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
Mine is scheduled to be delivered in July. Let's see what JLR have to say and do about this. I considered the mud flaps when I built mine but decided against it as the installation is quite involved with removal of bumper and such. Maybe aftermarket simple attached mud flaps are available by now.
No removal of bumper is required to install mudflaps.

The following users liked this post:
Iceman153 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
No removal of bumper is required to install mudflaps.
You are correct. It's the removal of the wheel well lining, removal of the nut that holds the heat shield, lifting the heat shield, cutting the template, drilling the bumper, installing the mud flaps, reinstalling the rest. The genuine LR instructions also states the removal of the wheels. So to me personally, that's too laborious for mud flaps. Hence I am going to see if there is any aftermarket plug and play alternative.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

When I installed my F&R Classic mud flaps, I didn't have to remove any tires. Only had to loosen the heat shield and move the liner a bit to get the nut on the bolt. Drilling was the hardest part of installation.
I haven't seen any that mount any differently, there isn't much to mount them on.
I saw early on that the paint chipping may be a problem.

Ace7711 (09-14-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 01:57 AM
Srt
8th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely need mudflaps,should have been fitted as standard imho,fitted mine first week of ownership and they keep the vehicle a lot cleaner .

Rov3rGal (06-15-2022)
Old 05-18-2021, 06:05 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like mudflaps aren't the best solution, if you plan to actually go off road? I've seen many a mudflap ripped off and laying trailside...

Xpel makes full paint protection kits, and my local installer for them (who happens to be a good friend) said that he can also order the material by the roll to make panels for any section of the vehicle that we want. The Xpel kits are somewhat pricy, and most of them cover a lot more of the vehicle than I'm looking to, so we will probably make up some custom 'gravel patches' to mount to the flares on the rear doors. These should at least save the paint from chipping, but the plastic will still likely get eaten up.

I'm taking mine to the dealer next week for an unrelated issue. Going to ask them if they will at least touch up the more severe chips for me, and then take it out to have it measured for some paint protection film. Will update once we have a solution.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

UPDATE EVERYONE: So JLR is going to credit me a considerable amount towards my repair considering how early into my lease I'm experiencing this. I was at the dealership today and looked at a new Defender with both types of mud flaps (bigger classics and sleeker regular) and I can say that the coverage looks very hopeful that they will help prevent the amount of damage mine received. Also, I looked at the fixed step ups and they absolutely look as though they would prevent any of the splatter given how far out they come. That said, I believe I was quoted $1900 including labor to have them put on.

I've lost track of the responses, has anyone replied saying they are seeing these markings THAT HAVE MUDFLAPS ON?

The following 2 users liked this post by cdiceman:
Ahparke (05-21-2021), johnsonmc2000 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 01:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Good to hear you are getting paid for it. Not a big fan of the look with mudflaps, so if I were to do something would go the protective film route.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cdiceman
UPDATE EVERYONE: So JLR is going to credit me a considerable amount towards my repair considering how early into my lease I'm experiencing this. I was at the dealership today and looked at a new Defender with both types of mud flaps (bigger classics and sleeker regular) and I can say that the coverage looks very hopeful that they will help prevent the amount of damage mine received. Also, I looked at the fixed step ups and they absolutely look as though they would prevent any of the splatter given how far out they come. That said, I believe I was quoted $1900 including labor to have them put on.

I've lost track of the responses, has anyone replied saying they are seeing these markings THAT HAVE MUDFLAPS ON?
I agree - It's great to hear they're helping out with this.

I contacted the dealer i placed my order with and they said this type of thing would definitely be covered under warranty, which was good to hear. I'd be interested to hear if the mudflaps resolve this or not because i agree with juancl that i would prefer to go without them.

Quick Reply: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping