2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 08:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Just saw in one of the Defender Facebook groups, someone had this Feynlab ceramic coating applied. This looks like it could be a good way to prevent the chips.

https://www.feynlab.com/product/feyn...mic-version-2/

Old 05-25-2021, 09:36 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahparke
Just saw in one of the Defender Facebook groups, someone had this Feynlab ceramic coating applied. This looks like it could be a good way to prevent the chips.

https://www.feynlab.com/product/feyn...mic-version-2/
Interesting is this different than film product I've heard some people do? Does this Feynlab product need to be professionally installed and, if so, wonder what the cost is. I asked my JLR about having the film product done and the issue becomes having it customized to just cover the lower door boards and wheel arch versus say the premolded front grill.....the cost I was quoted was below having the fixed side step done but not by much....so I just figured add the fixed side step because I have kids. I'm going with the factory side step because I was cautious of the after market ones this early on and I'm not confident I'd be able to install them myself.

I'm very curious though on how any of these protective coatings look after applied. Are they noticeable to the eye?

Old 05-25-2021, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by cdiceman
Interesting is this different than film product I've heard some people do? Does this Feynlab product need to be professionally installed and, if so, wonder what the cost is. I asked my JLR about having the film product done and the issue becomes having it customized to just cover the lower door boards and wheel arch versus say the premolded front grill.....the cost I was quoted was below having the fixed side step done but not by much....so I just figured add the fixed side step because I have kids. I'm going with the factory side step because I was cautious of the after market ones this early on and I'm not confident I'd be able to install them myself.

I'm very curious though on how any of these protective coatings look after applied. Are they noticeable to the eye?
I believe this is different than film, this is a spray on professionally applied product. The guy on FB said it took 4 days and cost $1200 for the installation. It sounds like the protection lasts for 4-5 years.

I too am curious how it looks once applied. It seems like it just makes the truck look a little glossier if anything.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Is this confined to any one color or all colors? Does it appear on white and other colors as well as the Santorini Black? Is it mostly on the gloss black trim on the X or X Dynamic? Seems it's more prevalent and I wonder if the entire trim as well as the body is painted at the same time vs the dark gray cladding being added later. It wouldn't seem likely to paint that way but ???

Old 05-25-2021, 10:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Is this confined to any one color or all colors? Does it appear on white and other colors as well as the Santorini Black? Is it mostly on the gloss black trim on the X or X Dynamic? Seems it's more prevalent and I wonder if the entire trim as well as the body is painted at the same time vs the dark gray cladding being added later. It wouldn't seem likely to paint that way but ???
It looks like it is applied to the entire exterior of the truck other than the glass.

From the Feynlab site:APPROVED SURFACES FOR APPLICATION ONLY: – DO NOT apply to unapproved surfaces
  • Clear-coated painted surfaces (see warranty terms and conditions for approved manufacturers & vehicle types)
  • Black textured plastics (test if unsure)
  • Headlights & Tail-lights
  • Black piano trim
  • Clear-coated painted wheel rims & calipers

Old 05-25-2021, 10:33 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
If you look at my earlier photos you can see that the chip pattern of the gloss black X panels is identical to the Santorini Black on my door. I honestly think its the same paint and thats why its consistent. I would love to know if someone else only saw the chip patterns on the gloss black portion of their DX or X panels and DID NOT see the pattern go on their doors because they went with white, blue, grey, silver, etc.

The following users liked this post:
Ahparke (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:20 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Update from my trip to the dealer this morning...my service advisor says they are going to take a look at the paint and see what they can do to correct the chipping so far. He also said there 'isn't much they can do about' the plastic trim.

Going to let them buff out/touch up the paint, and taking the truck to my vinyl installer next week for custom paint protection film.

As far as the ceramic coating materials go, most shops will (or should) tell you that they can't prevent rock chips. They are a very hard surface for sure, but their primary purpose is to aid with shedding mud/dirt/etc from the vehicle...not to protect from rock chips. Here's a quote/article (no affiliation with the site, just one of the first google results on the topic I found) specifically referencing the Feynlab product mentioned above, and stating that the best way to prevent rock chips is by using a film based product.
'Although ceramic coatings are bullet-hard, they are not bullet-proof. Rocks and pebbles blasted at your car from passing vehicles will damage the ceramic coating, and could affect the paint underneath. It’s definitely better to have a ceramic coating in this scenario than not, but you shouldn’t expect the ceramic coating to deflect significant impact.
To truly insure against rock chips, you would want to check out Paint Protection Films. These films are much thicker than a ceramic coating and are pliable to absorb and deflect impact.'
-
https://cjsautobling.com/ceramic-coa...nd-rock-chips/

The following 2 users liked this post by pvangura:
Ahparke (05-25-2021), Juancl (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahparke
I believe this is different than film, this is a spray on professionally applied product. The guy on FB said it took 4 days and cost $1200 for the installation. It sounds like the protection lasts for 4-5 years.

I too am curious how it looks once applied. It seems like it just makes the truck look a little glossier if anything.
As I understand it, ceramic coating will not protect from chips. The coating creates a layer that makes the surface more slippery, so actual dirt, dust, grime, etc, will slip off the paint, but it wont' avoid chips from pebbles, stones hitting the car's surface. Coatings also help make washing the car easier for those of us that like to hand wash it. I had my wife's D5 coated 4 years ago and the paint looks as good as new (actually better as dealers do a terrible job in terms of detailing the cars before delivery) and as if the car was fully detailed after every wash. Coatings can also help with surface scratches (as it creates and additional layer, scratches that are not deep, effectively scratch the coating, but don't get to the paint (don't ask me how I know that). Bottom line if what you are looking for is protection from chips, then film is the way to go (BTW many people do both a ceramic coating and then film on the more vulnerable parts, as each offers a different type of protection).

The following 2 users liked this post by Juancl:
GFranklin (06-10-2021), pvangura (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up For Shure Design Flaw

Last edited by Farm Boy; 05-26-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:46 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Paint defects

Last edited by rammsteiner; 05-26-2021 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Farm Boy (05-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping