2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grenadier Experience and measurements to L663

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 260 Likes on 138 Posts

With the design of the Grenadier, once you get above 900mm, I think it quickly becomes a boat. Give it a beat and you will have breather tubes for the diffs. Currently, they are saying the breather is one way on the diff and is well above the 800mm wading depth.

I may wait for the pick-up to arrive before placing my order.

Old 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts
Old 02-09-2023, 05:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,159 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
I think for 90%+ of the market the terms RAI and snorkel are used interchangeably.

I'm guessing the distinction you are making is whether fitting of a true snorkel would raise the wading depth to the height of the intake at the top of that snorkel. But surely this would require complete electrical system sealing and parallel breather hoses for all other vents in the vehicle? I haven't researched what that would take on a new gen defender, but in the past I've fitted breather hoses to differential housings and transfer cases on solid axle Toyotas. Hard to see how an OEM would support a "true" snorkel and all the add-ons for >1m wading (never mind the liability of encouraging people to wade >900mm of water just by buying a factory package - in most cases that will result in a vehicle washing down stream and occupants swimming)
Maybe so. But 60% of folks are wrong 90% of the time.

Al snorkels are raised air intakes but not all raised air intakes are snorkels.

In Australia, deep crossings in many places are the norm and most rigs are equipped with a snorkel. Sealed. It's pretty much standard kit.

It's not that you might want to wade deeper but a snorkel is a good safety buffer when you're close to or are at the maximum. Same is true for the Defender. An errant hole, a bow wave that you don't time just right. Lots of things like that will result in a bad day when having a snorkel would have been needed.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
It's not that you might want to wade deeper but a snorkel is a good safety buffer when you're close to or are at the maximum. Same is true for the Defender. An errant hole, a bow wave that you don't time just right. Lots of things like that will result in a bad day when having a snorkel would have been needed.
Tell it to these people

Last edited by _Allegedly; 02-09-2023 at 06:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
curb-optional (06-01-2023), GavinC (02-09-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 12:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,159 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Tell it to these people

https://youtu.be/Y1HHFXFN788
I'll just go aftermarket again I guess.

The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench

If you need more, get a Bronco Everglades.

TheManMac (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Tell it to these people

https://youtu.be/Y1HHFXFN788

ls that Rufford Ford in the U.K.? lt's quite amusing watching the idiots destroy their vehicles, hard to imagine the mentality of these drivers.

curb-optional (06-01-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:25 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by lightning
ls that Rufford Ford in the U.K.? lt's quite amusing watching the idiots destroy their vehicles, hard to imagine the mentality of these drivers.
Yep, there are dozens of videos of it on the YouTubes. It got closed because it blew up hard on TikTok and became a circus.

The best is the Bimmer driver trying to push his rear bumper cover ack on like it's Legos. 😭

Old 02-10-2023, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts

The engine sounds from a lot of those vehicles that made it through the flood gave me flashbacks.

In my late twenties (or maybe early thirties) I took a lifted 4runner through a flood that eventually came up to the level of the hood. It died in the water and I had the pleasure of pushing it out in almost chest deep icy water. When it started it sounded exactly like those vehicles - a rattly, diesel sound which I now know means at least one cylinder hydrolocked and bent the piston. I was able to see exactly which one when it was ejected through the side of the block about 20 miles later.

Lots of new engines will be required for those vehicles and, like me, the drivers will be calculated whether the LOLs of driving at full speed (or even slowly) through 3+ feet of water is worth the $4000 or more that a replacement engine is going to cost them.

And even though I have the RAI on my new defender, if it comes to driving through water I'll be watching that wade depth screen like a hawk and backing off before I get close to max

lightning (03-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:30 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
The engine sounds from a lot of those vehicles that made it through the flood gave me flashbacks.

In my late twenties (or maybe early thirties) I took a lifted 4runner through a flood that eventually came up to the level of the hood. It died in the water and I had the pleasure of pushing it out in almost chest deep icy water. When it started it sounded exactly like those vehicles - a rattly, diesel sound which I now know means at least one cylinder hydrolocked and bent the piston. I was able to see exactly which one when it was ejected through the side of the block about 20 miles later.

Lots of new engines will be required for those vehicles and, like me, the drivers will be calculated whether the LOLs of driving at full speed (or even slowly) through 3+ feet of water is worth the $4000 or more that a replacement engine is going to cost them.
I had warranty engine replacement on an XF. Granted, it was a new Jaguar 8 done at a dealership but the final invoice was $42k. Many of those cars are probably totalled.

ficklma1 (02-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Grenadier Experience and measurements to L663