2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing tow hooks after mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Installing tow hooks after mud flaps?

Hi: I have a 2022 SE and I'd like to add rear tow hooks. I ordered my Defender with the classic mudflaps and wheel arch protection. I wanted the tow hooks from the factory, too, but I couldn't get them without ordering the Bright Package (which I did not want).

I've seen the PowerfulUK video about installing the tow hooks, but his Defender didn't have the mudflaps or wheel arch protection. Do the mudflaps complicate the tow hook installation? Any tips? Thanks!

Old 10-16-2021, 07:27 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tow hooks/ mudflaps

Originally Posted by pllr
Hi: I have a 2022 SE and I'd like to add rear tow hooks. I ordered my Defender with the classic mudflaps and wheel arch protection. I wanted the tow hooks from the factory, too, but I couldn't get them without ordering the Bright Package (which I did not want).

I've seen the PowerfulUK video about installing the tow hooks, but his Defender didn't have the mudflaps or wheel arch protection. Do the mudflaps complicate the tow hook installation? Any tips? Thanks!
I have the other mudflaps, but I think it will be the same. I took them off to get the bumper off. Can't swear it was required, but that's what I did. The worst part was those stupid wheel well liners- they don't fit right and are a bear to get the holes for the clips to line up again. I ended up trimming them so they would line up. I was able to get away without disconnecting the electrical connectors on the left side by lowering the bumper onto a big cardboard box. Note that my washer hose to the rear camera was very short- it was impossible to get the clip back on, as there is a small insert that PowerfulUK doesn't mention that must be lined up just right to get the clip on. In their video theirs didn't fall out. Mine did. I ended up just removing the quick disconnect- the nipple is the same. If I ever have the bumper off again I will make the hose to the camera longer so you can reach it. Maybe if you try and reattach it before the bumper is reinstalled it is easier, but I had already done it. I also used the Land Rover trim surrounds. I am happy with how it looks.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:36 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

in the same predicament. but the tow hooks recently from Poweful UK and have the classic mudflaps. i question the install and looking further it looks you do need to remove the flaps to take the bumper off

Old 10-18-2021, 08:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No you dont need to take the mudflaps off to take the rear bumper off. They are all one piece, and will be removed together. In fact, I installed the tow hooks and rear mudflaps at the same time. And I installed the mudflaps while the bumper was off the car.
Another piece to note- if you are installing the wheel arch protection, I would do it at the same time because you have pop off the rear of the wheel arches to get access to things.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@searle - Which mudflaps do you have? I'm pretty sure I had to remove my Classics to get the rear bumper off. There were a couple small bolts in the trim that wouldn't allow me to remove it. Maybe I missed some others that would have allowed the two to separate.

The following users liked this post:
pllr (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 09:17 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

the mud flaps screw into the back of the fender liners which have to be removed to remove the bumper

so think they have to be removed

GrouseK9 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 08:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@searle - Which mudflaps do you have? I'm pretty sure I had to remove my Classics to get the rear bumper off. There were a couple small bolts in the trim that wouldn't allow me to remove it. Maybe I missed some others that would have allowed the two to separate.
I have the standard (smaller) mudflaps. I definitely installed them on the bumper while it was off the car- but now that you mention it, I may have had to make some adjustments once I was fitting the bumper back on. I can’t remember the specifics- it was awhile ago. But it might not be as easy as I remember.

GrouseK9 (10-20-2021)