2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyfob door lock alarm/horn sound... is that really it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 260 Likes on 138 Posts

For those not aware, there are two different locking programs and the response of the car dictates what program you are in.

Double lock which is indicated by horn beep, also activates the downloading of software. DOUBLE LOCKING
WARNINGNever double lock the vehicle with people, children, or pets inside. In the event of an emergency, occupants would be unable to operate the doors and the emergency services would be unable to release any occupants quickly.

Double locking secures the vehicle and prevents the doors from being unlocked or opened from inside or outside the vehicle.

Double locking provides extra security if the vehicle is left unattended. The vehicle cannot be opened by breaking a window and operating the doors from inside. Additionally, double locking arms the full alarm system.

Press the lock button on the smart key twice within 3 seconds to double lock the vehicle and arm the full alarm system. The hazard warning lights flash twice to confirm. If enabled, a double lock tone sounds.
NOTESIn the double locked state, an open glass area may cause the alarm to sound, due to the movement of air. Make sure that all glass areas are fully closed before double locking the vehicle.

Once the full alarm system is armed, the alarm system activates if:
  • The tailgate/taildoor/boot, a door, or the bonnet is opened.
  • Movement is detected within the vehicle's interior, including air currents.
  • The vehicle is raised or tilted, if a tilt sensor is fitted.

SINGLE LOCKING
    WARNINGBefore exiting the vehicle, always select Park (P) switch off the ignition, apply the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) and remove any smart keys. Missing these steps may lead to serious injury or death.

CAUTIONNo modifications or additions should be made to the security system. Such changes could cause the system to malfunction.

Before attempting to lock the vehicle, always make sure of the following:
  • The ignition is switched off.
  • All of the doors, the windows, the bonnet, and the taildoor are closed correctly.
  • Briefly press the lock button on the smart key to lock the vehicle and arm the perimetric alarm. The hazard warning lights flash to confirm.

Single locking secures the vehicle and prevents the doors from being opened from the outside. The doors may still be unlocked and opened from inside the vehicle.
    NOTESThe single locking setting should be used in circumstances when pets remain in the vehicle, or if a window must be left open.

Once armed, the alarm activates if:
  • The bonnet, taildoor, or a door is opened.
  • The engine START/STOP button is pressed without a valid smart key present.
  • The vehicle's battery is disconnected.
  • An attempt is made to disconnect the battery back-up sounder.
  • Always secure the vehicle when left unattended. Where possible, always secure the vehicle to the maximum available level of security.

NOTESIn some markets, the full alarm system, including the alarm sensors, is armed when the vehicle is single locked. The alarm sensors can be enabled and disabled, for one alarm cycle only, via the Vehicle menu in the touchscreen. See SYSTEM SETTINGS.
    NOTES

The following users liked this post:
AustralianIdoma (08-30-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting comments here... I didn't think about the tie-in to old-school Defenders but I like that idea. I wasn't thinking that it would be nice to have something louder, but the pathetic half-honk reminds me of Herbie's horn (movie The Love Bug) when he's abandoned and tries to drive off the bridge.

Anyway, not really a complaint at all... I love the vehicle and am glad I have the opportunity to enjoy all it's features and quirks.

RedAustinIX

Old 08-27-2021, 02:16 PM
Winching
Received 558 Likes on 252 Posts

Pretty sure that double locking (aka "superlocking"), as explained above, is disabled here in North America - surely for liability reasons. You should always be able to open the front doors from the inside of the vehicle, even after "double locking". Also, AFAIK the alarm system installed in NAS vehicles is perimetric only. I don't think a volumetric alarm system is an option here - unlike other countries.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 110 Posts

Before exiting the vehicle, always select Park (P) switch off the ignition, apply the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) and..”

but at ownerinfo.Land Rover.com it states the following:

“The EPB automatically applies when Park (P) is selected.”

and

When stationary, with the EPB applied and the transmission engaged in a forward or reverse gear, press the accelerator pedal to gradually release the EPB. The vehicle can now be driven away smoothly.”

so it seems that you would need to use the actual EPB “button/level” if you need to apply the EPB while the car is not in “P” or if you need to release the “EPB” while in “P”?

Last edited by sacharama; 08-27-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 193 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
Interesting comments here... I didn't think about the tie-in to old-school Defenders but I like that idea. I wasn't thinking that it would be nice to have something louder, but the pathetic half-honk reminds me of Herbie's horn (movie The Love Bug) when he's abandoned and tries to drive off the bridge.

Anyway, not really a complaint at all... I love the vehicle and am glad I have the opportunity to enjoy all it's features and quirks.

RedAustinIX
My P-car (modern) has the love bug alarm horn as well.

Cracks me up every time I lock the car. I also believe it was a nod to the old.

But who knows…

Old 08-27-2021, 08:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,242 Likes on 741 Posts

"...if tilt sensor is fitted...". Never heard of it. Is that a generic Land Rover thing I've missed out on in the last 30 years? Or is it an option on some models of the Defender and not others? Honestly haven't spotted that tidbit before.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
"...if tilt sensor is fitted...". Never heard of it. Is that a generic Land Rover thing I've missed out on in the last 30 years? Or is it an option on some models of the Defender and not others? Honestly haven't spotted that tidbit before.
it would go off if anyone attempts to jack the car to remove a wheel.

Only in double lock though.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 04-05-2023 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,242 Likes on 741 Posts

That's exactly what I thought!! I'll double lock it all the time if I have a tilt sensor. Just trying to figure out if I have that or not.

_Allegedly (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 05:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
That's exactly what I thought!! I'll double lock it all the time if I have a tilt sensor. Just trying to figure out if I have that or not.
Probably?

https://parts.landroverpalmbeach.com/p/Land-Rover_2021_Defender-110/Siren-Alarm-HORN-ANTI-THE-Anti---Theft/62878941/LR067841.html

Old 08-28-2021, 07:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 619 Likes on 370 Posts

I sure hope we don't have a tilt sensor. Don't want the alarm constantly going off when my Defender is on a car ferry to Nantucket or Long Island. Seems to be a common issue with Mercedes vehicles on a rough ferry ride.

GrouseK9 (08-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Keyfob door lock alarm/horn sound... is that really it?