Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2020 Defender Lift Kit by Johnson Rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 05:02 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheeeee
I had read that the self leveling air suspension does not self level anymore after the installation of LLAMS but maybe I had miss read that thread. So you are not rubbing with those tires in stock height? Good to know if so…
No changes on how the suspensions behave or level periodically after installing a LLAMS module. My guess is that you may have misread the reference to a competing aftermarket EAS control module on another thread (the X- Lifter, not yet available for the new Defender, but popular with LR3/4/ RRS owners) which has a nifty feature that allows the vehicle to automatically level when parked on uneven terrain. That can be useful when camping in a RTT, for example. The LLAMS doesn't do that.

The following users liked this post:
Iceman153 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
No changes on how the suspensions behave or level periodically after installing a LLAMS module. My guess is that you may have misread the reference to a competing aftermarket EAS control module on another thread (the X- Lifter, not yet available for the new Defender, but popular with LR3/4/ RRS owners) which has a nifty feature that allows the vehicle to automatically level when parked on uneven terrain. That can be useful when camping in a RTT, for example. The LLAMS doesn't do that.
Yeah I think that is exactly it. As far as the defender's electronics are concerned there is absolutely zero difference between a lift rod and the Llams module. They both simply modify the height sensor position. That does sound like a nifty feature on X-Lifter for people that do a lot of camping in/on their cars

Old 10-26-2021, 05:30 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question, does this lift kit actually raise the maximum height or is it just setting the air suspension 1.5" higher for all heights under the maximum extension?

Old 10-26-2021, 06:05 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

The only way to permanently increase maximum height, ground clearance, etc. is with a subframe lift, which is available for the new Defender, but costs several thousands to buy and install. These rods only trick the air suspensions into raising the vehicle a set number of inches above the pre-set settings (access, normal, off-road heights) at all times, but you won't gain any extra height or ground clearance beyond the factory capabilities.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I've got the 1.5" lift rods and some General Grabber ATX tires in 275-60-20 on our Defender and took it to Land Rover to get it aligned. They did note that they couldn't get it perfectly to spec since we were at the limit of one of the adjustments. Now a few months later I am noticing some pretty heavy wear on the outside edge of the tread of the front tires. Has anyone else who has the same lift and size of tires had issues getting it aligned to spec and/or seeing excess wear like this? I knew there would be uneven wear but was not expecting something this bad. I could have sworn others were able to get aligned properly after the lift was installed.

Front Tires

Rear Tires
​​​​​​​

Old 11-18-2021, 06:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I have Mickey Thompson Baja Boss LT275/60R20, 33” got alignment after 1 1/2” Johnson rods installed no tire wear issues. Dealer aligned to factory specs with no problem. Drives well at highway speeds. I have 2” subframe lift coming up, can’t wait

Old 11-18-2021, 07:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DefXBill
I have Mickey Thompson Baja Boss LT275/60R20, 33” got alignment after 1 1/2” Johnson rods installed no tire wear issues. Dealer aligned to factory specs with no problem. Drives well at highway speeds. I have 2” subframe lift coming up, can’t wait
Thanks for that info. Guess it's time to get it back to LR and see if they can get the alignment right. I can't believe how worn they are after a few months.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:06 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are those on 20" wheels? Also, what front bumper guard and winch combo are you running?

Old 12-07-2021, 12:38 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts

This has been a very popular choice for the 22 inch wheels
285-45-22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

285-45-22 NRG 1.5 inch Johnson Rod lift

Old 12-14-2021, 01:48 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Clean Defender 110 build.

Check out what one of our customers sent us. This customer is using our 1.5 inch lift kit with 275/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. The customer said he gets no tire rub. What do you think about the build? If you are using any of our lift kits and want your vehicle featured on our Instagram page/forum send us pictures and information of the build to our Instagram account(johnsonrods) or email us at johnsonrodsllc@gmail.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Johnson Rods:
DefenderSISU (11-15-2023), Gamer_Esq (12-21-2021), mopadzi (12-16-2021)

Quick Reply: New 2020 Defender Lift Kit by Johnson Rods