Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pivi 4.0.0 update is incoming

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rutiger
Mine updated yesterday. What I noticed today is that on I-5 in a poor cell zone the apple map on the dash went blank. Don't think the native nav ever did that. The apple map also doesn't seem as smooth as the native map from what I can recall. It's almost like apple maps is constantly building out so while moving it kind of has a surging effect or like it slows down then leaps forward. Does it constantly and it's kind of annoying to look at.

I think I'd honestly just prefer the native nav as I see zero advantage to having apple maps on the dash. But I also rarely use nav for anything at all and when I do the audio cues are fine for me.
Not seeing any buffering or glitches on mine. Loving the maps in the dashboard. For me, the main advantage is better routes and ETAs. The Pivi nav sometimes was pretty off on giving me route options to avoid traffic. It would just stuck with a route I used in the past no matter how bad traffic was, so when I followed I was just stuck in traffic for hours. I feel that once Waze works in the IDD too (just a matter of time before Google updates the app to allow it) the routing options will be even better. To me, Waze is still unbeatable for that.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Re: Night view in the dash view.

Same here.

My other minor complaint is how zoomed out the view is.

Overall super happy that I can see Google Maps in the dash now. But if there is a feature request log somewhere, I'd pop this on it.

The following users liked this post:
XplusYplusZ (08-10-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 08:13 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
As an aside, you probably know this already but if you like SiriusXM programming it sounds massively better when streamed through their app with the quality set to high.
I dropped XM on my 2 vehicles and just use the app. Far better channel selection on the app plus all the archived content from shows I listen to available anytime.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:15 PM
Mudding

I wonder if using apple maps on the IDD causes higher phone battery drain. I pretty much never run out of battery on my 14 pro max. Last weekend did about 2-3 hours of driving. By early evening phone was at 10%. Can't even remember a time that's happened on my phone.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I use iphone and google maps, this update doesn't help me much.
Google maps are superior to built-in HERE navigation or apple in populated areas.
Not perfect but better, I drive a lot and from country roads to cities,
Iphone hardware is also more stable and reliable albeit with all the software limitations.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave
I had the same issue. I downloaded, but would not update due to battery charge levels. Go for a 15 minute drive and then come back and manually start the update through the Software Updates page in settings.
same boat. 3.3.3 was downloaded a day ago, says it'll need a 1 hr 20 min install time. started the install last night but woke up this morning and it didn't complete because of low battery. weird because I had driven about 20 minutes yesterday before attempting the install.

guess I'll drive around for 30+ minutes today and see if it helps.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:01 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick4
My other minor complaint is how zoomed out the view is.
heh, that's my complaint with the built-in HERE nav, not being able to zoom out in the driver instrument cluster.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:13 PM
Mudding

I might be missing how to configure it, but something I noticed today is that unless following an input route the general Apple Map on the IDD is always orientated north. Whereas Apple Maps on the Pivi screen and the phone itself can be orientated for your direction of travel. The native Pivi map on IDD does direction based orientation.

It also appears while you can change the map back to Pivi that resets each time you start the car which is a total bummer.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:12 AM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I should not read this forum, I was perfectly happy with my Defender but now I am frustrated I don't have the 3.3.3 upgrade let alone v4

Old 08-10-2023, 08:26 AM
Mudding

Don't get FOMO for 4.0. The only change I see is Apple Maps on the IDD and it's buggy and makes my phone run harder/hotter. I'd downgrade back to 3.2 if I could.

Quick Reply: New Pivi 4.0.0 update is incoming