2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pivi 4.0.0 update is incoming

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

well i tried locking the doors and leaving it for a few days and all it did was go into deep sleep and not update, so still on 3.3.2. weird.

The following users liked this post:
MattF (08-12-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 12:07 PM
Drifting
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, the 4.0 FOMO is overrated.

For me: Google Maps > Apple Maps > Pivi Maps, so having Apple Maps in the IDD is ok, but I still find myself using Google Maps most of the time. For longer trips or complicated trips I might switch to Apple Maps to have a more integrated IDD view. I know there are a lot more improvements packed into 4.0, but my layman's view is it feels pretty much the same. It doesn't feel worthy of a 4.0 jump, more like 3.5

rutiger (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave
Yeah, the 4.0 FOMO is overrated.

For me: Google Maps > Apple Maps > Pivi Maps, so having Apple Maps in the IDD is ok, but I still find myself using Google Maps most of the time. For longer trips or complicated trips I might switch to Apple Maps to have a more integrated IDD view. I know there are a lot more improvements packed into 4.0, but my layman's view is it feels pretty much the same. It doesn't feel worthy of a 4.0 jump, more like 3.5
It's not just apple maps that will go to the center screen - if they implemented it per the standard. Whichever mapping software you use (Google, Apple, Waze) on your phone will broadcast to their, at least it does on the newer update on my Polestar 2 which added the feature as well.

Old 08-10-2023, 12:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

A couple nitpicks with using Apple Maps in the IDD is that it’s always got north up (unless actively navigating somewhere). On the infotainment, you can choose north up or the direction you’re going is up, but it doesn’t reflect to the IDD.
Second is it doesn’t show any nav directions on the HUD with CarPlay maps (haven’t tried Android Auto but I’m assuming the same)

Old 08-10-2023, 12:28 PM
Drifting
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekkie
It's not just apple maps that will go to the center screen
In 4.0, when I am using CarPlay, only Apple Maps shows in my IDD. When I use Google maps via CarPlay on the center screen, still only Apple Maps shows on the IDD.

Old 08-10-2023, 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave
In 4.0, when I am using CarPlay, only Apple Maps shows in my IDD. When I use Google maps via CarPlay on the center screen, still only Apple Maps shows on the IDD.
From the explanation you get in Pivi detailing what the 4.0 update is, my understanding is that the nav apps developers will have to update their apps so that in an Apple phone you are able to project Google maps or Waze in the IDD and from an Android phone you project Apple maps? (not sure if possible, since I use an Iphone) to the IDD.

Not sure if it is configuration, but for me the Apple maps are not always pointing North. Even without active navigation, they still move along with the car direction for me.
I am not seeing any bugs after upgrading to 4.0 and am really enjoying having the full Apple map ahead of me.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:05 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

I pulled my car out of the garage and sat in it for a 30-45 minute conference call letting it run.

when my call was over I checked my update and 4.0 was finally available!

it’s kind of wasteful to burn that fuel waiting but it worked for me.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:50 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by eelpout
heh, that's my complaint with the built-in HERE nav, not being able to zoom out in the driver instrument cluster.
Haha!

In my wife's Audi you can manually zoom in and out with the IDD. I love it. But, her system (she has a 2021 Audi A3) can't do in-dash 3rd party apps. So, win some lose some.

eelpout (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 05:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyn
A couple nitpicks with using Apple Maps in the IDD is that it’s always got north up (unless actively navigating somewhere). On the infotainment, you can choose north up or the direction you’re going is up, but it doesn’t reflect to the IDD.
Originally Posted by mrego
Not sure if it is configuration, but for me the Apple maps are not always pointing North. Even without active navigation, they still move along with the car direction for me.
Originally Posted by rutiger
I might be missing how to configure it, but something I noticed today is that unless following an input route the general Apple Map on the IDD is always orientated north. Whereas Apple Maps on the Pivi screen and the phone itself can be orientated for your direction of travel. The native Pivi map on IDD does direction based orientation.
My map in the driver's screen orientates to the direction of travel even when not following a route, try the highlighted choice on the picture below.

Old 08-12-2023, 01:40 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mrego
I feel that once Waze works in the IDD too (just a matter of time before Google updates the app to allow it) the routing options will be even better. To me, Waze is still unbeatable for that.
I'd have to check with my Google contacts (I live in Silicon Valley) but I'm pretty sure since the Waze acquisition, crowd data is fully shared between Maps and Waze users now. Though yes, they may use it differently.

heh, and i'm still on 3.3.3.

Quick Reply: New Pivi 4.0.0 update is incoming