2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 03:43 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Hey @Mcdooogs Thanks for the info. I wanted to ask if you are using a lift.

I've got some 18" alloys coming soon(ish) and looking at the same tire. 265/70R18 MT Grabbers. With the added 0.6" diameter and 0.3" height increase I'll just barely fit in my garage so a lift is not something I'm interested in.

I know you mentioned in your TopofTheWorld trail post that you have lift and sliders but wasn't sure if you'd run this setup without the lift for a bit.

Any info on rub without the lift on these tires. How close was it to rubbing.? The alloys I'm getting are 30+ offset so will be closer than OEM at full lock.
I have no lift actually. i own 1.5 inch rods but have never actually installed them. The 265/70/18 tires havent rubbed as far I can tell, and they’ve been flexed on some pretty technical trails

Old 06-04-2022, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
I have no lift actually. i own 1.5 inch rods but have never actually installed them. The 265/70/18 tires havent rubbed as far I can tell, and they’ve been flexed on some pretty technical trails
@Mcdooogs

Thanks very much for the info. Sounds like they should work just fine on the Tuffants. They seem to be the same sizing as the BFG KO2s but I think a MT would come in handy. Still in two minds.

Love how your Defender looks with the sliders and steelies. Most excellent.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:29 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eitan
Did you end up going this route Roy? I've heard really good things about the AT3W's from Jeep people as well, but not so much in the Defender context. Would love some feedback if you got any. I'm in Chicago and people are reporting they are better than KO2's in snow, which is a big thing for me.
Unfortunately ,I haven't. My defender has been experiencing a loss of power ( about 25%) after about 30 min. of driving so it is at the dealership (see separated thread). I can't do anything until they find out what is wrong with it because I don't want them telling me it is the oversized tires.
I have been leaning towards the Nitto Recons Grapplers, but I know they are not as good in snow compared to the Falkens. [/QUOTE]

Old 06-07-2022, 03:22 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone new to the forum.

so I’m having an issue right now.

I have a 2022 D90 S with 20 in wheels from factory.

I bought 18 steels from a 22 d110 base, went to install the wheels and they did not fit in the front of it, caliper issue. Has anyone had that issue before? If so what’s going on I thought that p300 should work with 18 wheels.

if anyone can help me I will be greatly thankful.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@humbertor - Welcome to the forum. Regrets for the challenges. It's fairly common that P400's try to go to 18" wheels and fail. The weren't designed for it. The front tires have a dampener that gets in the way and the rear has larger calipers that they don't fit on. If you want 18's on it, you will need to either replace the calipers or grind the existing calipers. If you want to replace them, start here: Link. Lucky8 sells calipers that should fit. The other way is to grind the brakes down. The risk is on you re: both of these options as they invalidate any warranties in there and anything that happens as a result is on you (aka, damage, carnage, injuries, etc.). Many folks have just gone the grind route. Here's a link to the thread. You'll find as many proponents of one path as the other. Up to you re: which works best. Good luck!

Also, depending on the wheels, you may want spacers as well. The wheel/tire set up doesn't always fit. Pro-tip: Used the "Advanced" search. Much better than just Search if you want to read all the threads re: spacers.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:30 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@humbertor - Welcome to the forum. Regrets for the challenges. It's fairly common that P400's try to go to 18" wheels and fail. The weren't designed for it. The front tires have a dampener that gets in the way and the rear has larger calipers that they don't fit on. If you want 18's on it, you will need to either replace the calipers or grind the existing calipers. If you want to replace them, start here: Link. Lucky8 sells calipers that should fit. The other way is to grind the brakes down. The risk is on you re: both of these options as they invalidate any warranties in there and anything that happens as a result is on you (aka, damage, carnage, injuries, etc.). Many folks have just gone the grind route. Here's a link to the thread. You'll find as many proponents of one path as the other. Up to you re: which works best. Good luck!

Also, depending on the wheels, you may want spacers as well. The wheel/tire set up doesn't always fit. Pro-tip: Used the "Advanced" search. Much better than just Search if you want to read all the threads re: spacers.
but I though the defender 90s with the p300 engine had the small brakes or am I wrong?

Old 06-07-2022, 04:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Missed that. If you have a P300, different story.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:33 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Missed that. If you have a P300, different story.
If I have a Defender S it only comes with the p300 engine right? Which brings the small calipers

Old 06-07-2022, 04:39 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I believe since you have the 20" rims, JLR installs a small round chunk of aluminum to help scrape the mud off the inside of the rim. It is easily removed and the 18" rims will fit. If you could post a picture of the offending piece, someone here can help you out, but the mud scraper is my guess.

The following users liked this post:
gurka01 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 04:47 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

See post 127 of this thread.

Quick Reply: No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)