2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and filter change video

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 11:33 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

As long as it meets or exceeds STJLR.51.5122 or STJLR.03.5006 (or both) standards, the oil is approved by Land Rover for use in our engines - both P300 and P400 versions. It doesn't have to be Castrol, that's the brand they recommend, not mandate. Keep the receipt.

The following users liked this post:
Muppetry (10-06-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 05:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The brand doesn't matter. The specs are what's important.

Originally Posted by Muppetry
That oil apparently meets the specifications and seems like a very attractive option, but is there any definitive information on whether using something other than the Castrol could negatively affect warranty coverage?

The following users liked this post:
Muppetry (10-07-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:30 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I didn't see a reply to this question, so I'm asking again. I purchased an evacuation system, but clearly the tubes aren't long enough. Is the length and diameter of the suction tube which goes into the dipstick port known?
Have about 10000 miles on a P400 and feel it's time for an oil change.
Thanks

Old 10-28-2021, 09:28 AM
Winching

The thin dipstick hose supplied with my OEM Tools evacuation pump is 41" long and appears to suck up every drop of oil when fully inserted in the dipstick tube, so I am going to guess that a 41" (or longer) hose that fits in the dipstick tube should work.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:00 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
The Mityvac I used for my old LR4 was a bit too small to extract all of the oil from the Defender (I believe the capacity was 8 liters or so), I had to "upgrade" to a larger pump with a 9.5-liter capacity so I could vacuum all the oil in one shot, and with the warm oil naturally growing in volume, even that capacity is barely sufficient, as you can see in the video. Are you sure it's not just the pump shutting off prematurely because it's almost full (it does have an overflow control valve, IIRC), rather than because all your oil is extracted?

Also, how do you know for sure that the vacuum pipe is at the bottom of the sump? It could be too long (and could possibly curl back up when it touches bottom), or too short, and in either case you could leave a couple of quarts of oil in there.
Thanks,

Old 11-02-2021, 07:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 631 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
The thin dipstick hose supplied with my OEM Tools evacuation pump is 41" long and appears to suck up every drop of oil when fully inserted in the dipstick tube, so I am going to guess that a 41" (or longer) hose that fits in the dipstick tube should work.
Same here, the 9.5L OEM tools pump was filled to the top. I have a question regarding that OEM tools pump...did yours come with a cap to close the opening where the large tube attaches to it? I have a threaded cap with just a big hole in the middle of it.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Same here, the 9.5L OEM tools pump was filled to the top. I have a question regarding that OEM tools pump...did yours come with a cap to close the opening where the large tube attaches to it? I have a threaded cap with just a big hole in the middle of it.
No cap / lid was supplied with mine, either. I guess the large tube is supposed to remain attached to the pump with that threaded collar at all times, except when emptying the body of the pump from used oil, which can get messy if you aren't careful. I liked the way the Mityvac pump would empty a lot better.

Old 11-02-2021, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 631 Likes on 378 Posts

Thanks Umberto! I agree, seems odd there is no way to completely close the OEM Tools pump canister once it is filled to the top with oil. I guess it's not meant to be used as a used oil storage container so I emptied the oil into a Home Depot bucket that has a lid.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:51 PM
Winching
Received 607 Likes on 287 Posts

Question for anyone, but hopefully umbertob is watching, as he originally posted this sticky thread and seems familiar with changing the oil. I am planning on purchasing a MityVac, but being old school, I was thinking of doing the first change at around 1000 miles and doing it the old fashioned way via the drain plug. My thought process behind this, though with newer manufacturing techniques and tolerances it’s probably not an issue, is to make sure any particulates or metal castoffs are removed via the movement of the oil due to gravity. I have a mental picture of the long tube inserted through the dipstick tube only sitting in one location, missing anything clinging to any corners or the bottom of the oil pan out of reach of the inserted tube. Might be overkill, but after that initial change, then using the oil vac for any future oil changes. Anyone with an opinion on this method?

Old 12-04-2021, 06:23 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Question for anyone, but hopefully umbertob is watching, as he originally posted this sticky thread and seems familiar with changing the oil. I am planning on purchasing a MityVac, but being old school, I was thinking of doing the first change at around 1000 miles and doing it the old fashioned way via the drain plug. My thought process behind this, though with newer manufacturing techniques and tolerances it’s probably not an issue, is to make sure any particulates or metal castoffs are removed via the movement of the oil due to gravity. I have a mental picture of the long tube inserted through the dipstick tube only sitting in one location, missing anything clinging to any corners or the bottom of the oil pan out of reach of the inserted tube. Might be overkill, but after that initial change, then using the oil vac for any future oil changes. Anyone with an opinion on this method?
All that stuff should be collected by the filter. And apparently pumping the oil actually gets more out than gravity draining. Beyond that - accessing the drain plug looks like a real pain since it involves removing the entire guard plate.

Quick Reply: Oil and filter change video