Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Permanently disabling auto start/stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 01:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
...I find the Defender's stop/start system to be the least obtrusive of the many ones I've experienced in other cars in the past. ...
Interesting. I've found Defender's stop/start to be the slowest I've ever come across.

The following users liked this post:
dshark1 (08-01-2023)
Old 01-14-2021, 02:00 PM
Winching
Received 245 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jayd33
Interesting. I've found Defender's stop/start to be the slowest I've ever come across.
which engine do you have?

Old 01-15-2021, 12:07 AM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Land Rover discontinued the 2nd battery. So that doesn’t apply. It’s a capacitor starting in 2016/7 and there is a wire to unplug in the capacitor. We just don’t know where the capacitor is on the new Defender.

Originally Posted by PaulLR
If the off button is easily accessible, I'm sure it will become automatic for me to turn it off. The Honda engineers put a big auto-stop off button just below the shift buttons on our Honda Passport. Myself, wife and kids all go through the same exact steps at start-up...step on the brake, press the start button, press the auto-stop off button then select reverse or forward. Never even think about turning it off anymore.

If the Defender shares the same auto-stop system with the D5, there is a second battery for the auto-stop somewhere. Once that battery fails you just don't bother replacing it and auto-stop is gone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark1107:
ficklma1 (02-02-2023), PaulLR (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 612 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1107
Land Rover discontinued the 2nd battery. So that doesn’t apply. It’s a capacitor starting in 2016/7 and there is a wire to unplug in the capacitor. We just don’t know where the capacitor is on the new Defender.
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling the mild hybrid technology may have eliminated the second battery.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes that would be great information for every Defender owner!!!!!! Anyone have a contact at LR..?

Old 01-16-2021, 09:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
I absolutely despise the system. It’s an asenine system that only exists to satisfy the politicians who kowtow to leftist environmentalists extremists.
It's hard because it's insisting that your engine stops and maybe the A/C smells a bit musty in exchange for a little less carbon in the air and a little less fuel consumed. Tangible vs. intangible or at least inconsequential in the immediate future. But, love it or hate it, it doesn't matter because it's happening. Like hair loss and sagging muscles and dancing poorly. Since corporations are international, in order for good ole 'Merican ones (or, I guess, a storied British one with a factory in Slovakia) to do well overseas, they have to abide by the regulations of those markets. Yeah, laws, amiright? As Europe and Asia and California reduced carbon emission standards, manufacturers wishing to compete in those hugely profitable markets had keep up with the technology (it's not just start/stop) or risk going extinct like Saturn or Oldsmobile or a principled Republican. Indeed, Ford, VW, Honda, and recently GM are so keen to build more efficient IC vehicles and to transition to electric that they didn't support Trump's roll-back of emissions standards. So they had the option, and didn't take it. That's a free market right there. But, again, it doesn't matter. Pitch a fit. Blame the leftists. Figure out a work-around. More power to you, man. In 50 years, our grandkids will be riding in electric autonomous vehicles and we'll be worm-food.

Nate

The following 5 users liked this post by todkavonic:
Husky44 (01-28-2023), NJDefender (02-02-2023), vaulter1 (01-31-2023), WMN (07-18-2021), WTFChuck (11-15-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by todkavonic
It's hard because it's insisting that your engine stops and maybe the A/C smells a bit musty in exchange for a little less carbon in the air and a little less fuel consumed. Tangible vs. intangible or at least inconsequential in the immediate future. But, love it or hate it, it doesn't matter because it's happening. Like hair loss and sagging muscles and dancing poorly. Since corporations are international, in order for good ole 'Merican ones (or, I guess, a storied British one with a factory in Slovakia) to do well overseas, they have to abide by the regulations of those markets. Yeah, laws, amiright? As Europe and Asia and California reduced carbon emission standards, manufacturers wishing to compete in those hugely profitable markets had keep up with the technology (it's not just start/stop) or risk going extinct like Saturn or Oldsmobile or a principled Republican. Indeed, Ford, VW, Honda, and recently GM are so keen to build more efficient IC vehicles and to transition to electric that they didn't support Trump's roll-back of emissions standards. So they had the option, and didn't take it. That's a free market right there. But, again, it doesn't matter. Pitch a fit. Blame the leftists. Figure out a work-around. More power to you, man. In 50 years, our grandkids will be riding in electric autonomous vehicles and we'll be worm-food.

Nate
no one cares about 50 years from now. If I keep this defender 2 years that will be a record for me.

Last edited by SmokinV10; 01-16-2021 at 11:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SmokinV10:
Eitan (05-08-2021), Mark1107 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 12:28 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

i typically don't mind auto start/stop. i do always disable it in my 720s on start up. but it's easy as the state is remembered as part of "active mode", which i always enable for suspension and powertrain settings anyway. but, we've had it in multiple vehicles. on the 110 i do find it's slower to wake up compared to our past jeeps (cherokees & wranglers).

yesterday at a stop light the engine shutoff as it normally would do. the bad part, it didn't fire back up. i had to scramble to cycle the car fully while a long line of cars behind me at the light honked and must have thought i was an idiot. so, i now have less faith in the system on the 110. never had that experience in any other vehicle with auto start/stop.

Last edited by rutiger; 01-17-2021 at 12:30 PM.
A Faceless Man (05-07-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 558 Likes on 252 Posts

It did that to me at the very beginning (3/4 months ago when I had less than 2k miles on the car) a few times, stalled at a stoploght - luckily little or no traffic behind me. . Eventually it "fixed" itself, somehow. It hasn't failed once since, it quickly fires up and goes, no hesitation. Can't complain. Perhaps there is a learning or self calibration period that the system goes through?

bobbyz95 (11-27-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

If you put the transmission in neutral when you come to a stop light, does the engine keep running? All the newer rentals that I've used in the last several years have kept running, am very leery of these "improvements" that potentially cause more wear and tear...

Quick Reply: Permanently disabling auto start/stop