Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Permanently disabling auto start/stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 08:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
It did that to me at the very beginning (3/4 months ago when I had less than 2k miles on the car) a few times, stalled at a stoploght - luckily little or no traffic behind me. . Eventually it "fixed" itself, somehow. It hasn't failed once since, it quickly fires up and goes, no hesitation. Can't complain. Perhaps there is a learning or self calibration period that the system goes through?
I am at 550miles on my 2021 and the auto on/off has not engaged on the car even once. Yesterday the dealer confirmed that it’s not working and they have no explanation. No warning lights, no codes. Just the A with-cross-line comes on showing it’s inhibited. I wonder if mine is in a calibrating period? Car is otherwise great! I know, some on the forum are probably envious 😂.

They want to keep it for 48hrs for a “deep dive diagnostic”. I don’t care much for auto on/off so will let it be for now. Unless someone on the forum foresees a potential disaster by letting it be that I may be overlooking? They have no explanation how it got through quality check at LR or the dealer PDI in this condition.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by TCole
I am at 550miles on my 2021 and the auto on/off has not engaged on the car even once. Yesterday the dealer confirmed that it’s not working and they have no explanation. No warning lights, no codes. Just the A with-cross-line comes on showing it’s inhibited. I wonder if mine is in a calibrating period? Car is otherwise great! I know, some on the forum are probably envious 😂.

They want to keep it for 48hrs for a “deep dive diagnostic”. I don’t care much for auto on/off so will let it be for now. Unless someone on the forum foresees a potential disaster by letting it be that I may be overlooking? They have no explanation how it got through quality check at LR or the dealer PDI in this condition.
I certainly do not see a disaster in this situation. But, I do wonder if your non-functioning, auto-off might be signaling that your "turbo auto spin" (my name for it) may not be in good shape?

When the car gets up to temperature and arrives back home, and you shut down, you should hear a quiet, steady, air noise under the hood -- the turbos are spinning -- powered by what I think must be a small tank of compressed air tank located underneath(?) the turbo charger. That sub-system should kick-in when the auto-stop turns on (whenever the engine stops), I think.

I have a P300 and the noise after coming home and shutting down comes from the middle, front to back, right-side (looking from within the vehicle) of the engine bay. It lasts about a minute, post engine shut-down.

That is the only significant, non-electric concern I see, presently. Electrically, I see the most likely electrical reason might be a chronic low voltage battery situation -- but that would trigger a warning, I think? Finally, the software gremlins (of which I know little) are something one must consider these days.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I certainly do not see a disaster in this situation. But, I do wonder if your non-functioning, auto-off might be signaling that your "turbo auto spin" (my name for it) may not be in good shape?

When the car gets up to temperature and arrives back home, and you shut down, you should hear a quiet, steady, air noise under the hood -- the turbos are spinning -- powered by what I think must be a small tank of compressed air tank located underneath(?) the turbo charger. That sub-system should kick-in when the auto-stop turns on (whenever the engine stops), I think.

I have a P300 and the noise after coming home and shutting down comes from the middle, front to back, right-side (looking from within the vehicle) of the engine bay. It lasts about a minute, post engine shut-down.

That is the only significant, non-electric concern I see, presently. Electrically, I see the most likely electrical reason might be a chronic low voltage battery situation -- but that would trigger a warning, I think? Finally, the software gremlins (of which I know little) are something one must consider these days.
thanks for the insight. I’m going to try the computer reset tomorrow and see if that helps.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by enb54
If you put the transmission in neutral when you come to a stop light, does the engine keep running? All the newer rentals that I've used in the last several years have kept running, am very leery of these "improvements" that potentially cause more wear and tear...
enb54:

I thought your question intriguing. The answer on my 2020 P300 powered Defender 110 S surprised me.

If the auto stop is engaged and you place the vehicle in neutral as you approach a stop, the engine WILL shut-off -- just as it does in drive. But, in neutral at the stop, the vehicle will NOT turn the engine back-on when you lift off the brake and want / try to go.

For the restarting to work, you must move the gear shift to Drive, at which point the engine immediately restarts.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
enb54:

I thought your question intriguing. The answer on my 2020 P300 powered Defender 110 S surprised me.

If the auto stop is engaged and you place the vehicle in neutral as you approach a stop, the engine WILL shut-off -- just as it does in drive. But, in neutral at the stop, the vehicle will NOT turn the engine back-on when you lift off the brake and want / try to go.

For the restarting to work, you must move the gear shift to Drive, at which point the engine immediately restarts.
TrioLRowner: Well that is very interesting, last vehicle I rented was in 2019 and was a Chevy Traverse, engine kept running when it was shifted into neutral at a stop. When the pandemic blows through and we're all vaccinated, I'll try it again (travelling and renting), I'm wondering how you keep it idling in the winter, or maybe you have to put it in "Park?"

Old 02-23-2021, 11:44 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCole

I have the same problem with my 2021 P400. In the first two weeks and driving it nearly 1000miles it has yet to function with the auto stop. The dealer has had it for the last week and have said they escalated it to LR Engineering and have yet to receive a response. I’m wondering though if the mild hybrid system is functioning properly as well. It doesn’t seem to have the same kind of initial acceleration pick up as the loaner P400 does. Have you heard anything from your dealer? I’m contemplating wanting to escalate it further if they cannot resolve it.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
I absolutely despise the system. It’s an asenine system that only exists to satisfy the politicians who kowtow to leftist environmentalists extremists.
Or, you know, the environment? Jesus people, it's not a bad idea to improve MPGs by even a fraction.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Landy, I agree with you, however, sometimes this system can be the cause of accidents. And that gives some people a sense of insecurity about the response of the vehicle in some situations......I am one of them

The following users liked this post:
Aedhasdad (02-09-2023)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:05 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

How can it cause accidents? By not being immediately responsive at a stop light? I've never owned a vehicle before with this function, so geniunely curious.

And...I have never had the auto stop system work properly, and would love to find a way of making it function. In my truck it immediately defaults to auto start/stop disabled. I dont know if that's some issue with break-in, or the use of AC?

I see mention of restarting the entire system. How is that done?

Old 02-24-2021, 09:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes this type of system will restart when the gas is pressed as normal and then suddenly turn-off, there by causing the driver to be unsure of the system.....in a complete traffic jam I can certainly see the positive features for both the environment and MPG. But a stop sign or red light? Not worth the trouble and not needed.....there should be an complete and permanent turn-off option available.

Quick Reply: Permanently disabling auto start/stop