Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Decided to start a separate thread on this. Visited my retailer to pick up plates, but did not receive an update on the issue.

Questions: Does it consistently start around 57mph and faster speeds? Is everyone else's just on the passenger side or are there examples of on the driver side or both? Anyone have the service bulletin number?

Reason for the questions is when I purchased the vehicle, have a signed "We Owe" from the retailer. Want to make sure this gets fixed correctly versus quickly. I saw the drill marks on @Corgi_Express vehicle and concerned.

​​​​@Johndebus @Corgi_Express @Tucker Woods

Last edited by njdefendernj; 08-08-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you have confused me with somebody else - there are no drill marks on my Defender.

The current fix, with a service bulletin, is to put a little bit of felt under the A pillar to try to dampen the noise. My dealer did that. I still have the noise. I have read on the New Defender Owner's Group on Facebook that there is going to be an actual replacement part to fix it properly, but no word on when that will be available. For now, I am just going to wait and see.

The following users liked this post:
njdefendernj (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:41 AM
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgi_Express
I think you have confused me with somebody else - there are no drill marks on my Defender.

The current fix, with a service bulletin, is to put a little bit of felt under the A pillar to try to dampen the noise. My dealer did that. I still have the noise. I have read on the New Defender Owner's Group on Facebook that there is going to be an actual replacement part to fix it properly, but no word on when that will be available. For now, I am just going to wait and see.
Hi. Do you have a link to this service bulletin?
thx

Old 08-09-2020, 01:01 PM
Overlanding

@Corgi_Express This is what I was referring to.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:28 PM
Three Wheeling

That is not my car, and it has nothing to do with the A pillar flapping. Those are mounting holes for the exterior storage box that goes near the back of the car - I saw it on another group, and shared the picture when somebody here asked about how that box is mounted.

It has nothing to do with the A pillar noise.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:41 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the same flapping noise. It almost sounds like there is a dump truck travelling ahead of you (at high speeds) that is carrying sand and a small amount sand is bouncing off your windshield. Makes a subtle crackling sound. Seems most noticeable above 60 or 70 mph or so. I only hear it on the passenger side. But the crackling sound is inconsistent; sometimes the noise is there at high speeds and sometimes it is not. Not sure if it depends on road smoothness or what. I would be curious to see the bulletin if someone had it.

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Originally Posted by njdefendernj
Decided to start a separate thread on this. Visited my retailer to pick up plates, but did not receive an update on the issue.

Questions: Does it consistently start around 57mph and faster speeds? Is everyone else's just on the passenger side or are there examples of on the driver side or both? Anyone have the service bulletin number?

Reason for the questions is when I purchased the vehicle, have a signed "We Owe" from the retailer. Want to make sure this gets fixed correctly versus quickly. I saw the drill marks on @Corgi_Express vehicle and concerned.

​​​​@Johndebus @Corgi_Express @Tucker Woods

Old 08-09-2020, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Look at bulletin #3 on the link provided below. This link does reference the problem but I could not find an attachment or anything to go along with it. But this is the problem you are describing that other members (myself included) are having. I googled this a little and it seems like it occurs in other brands of vehicles also from time to time.

But check out item #3: https://www.carproblemzoo.com/tsb/la...efender110.php

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Old 08-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Overlanding

@Corgi_Express Ok, thank you for the clarification. Glad it is not your car. Understood that it has nothing directly to do with the A Pillar issue at hand, but it does speak to the differences of a factory approach versus a retailer fix. My concern with the retrofit fix done by a dealer is it potentially could create more issues or permanently damaging something.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue but it actually got worse. I was hearing the same sounds above and then on a trip I took this week, while driving on the interstate at ~80mph the whole A Pillar cover came off. I lost the small piece down low and the two remains pieces were held on by the screw at the bottom. I was able to pull over and remove the two remaining pieces as I was afraid they would eventually come off while driving. Good news, the car is still sealed up as no water got in while driving in the rain but it did make for a loud ride home (1500 miles+).

See picture below:

Last edited by mgreenawald; 08-09-2020 at 08:47 PM.
njdefendernj (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:41 PM
Three Wheeling

There are at least three more reports of the trim coming loose on the users' group on Facebook. One user said that, in the US the bulletin is N472NAS1 - Service Action: Windshield Molding Tapping Noise

The following 2 users liked this post by Corgi_Express:
DefenderSmitty (12-26-2020), njdefendernj (08-10-2020)

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed