Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020 | 01:39 PM
|
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Corgi_Express
There are at least three more reports of the trim coming loose on the users' group on Facebook. One user said that, in the US the bulletin is N472NAS1 - Service Action: Windshield Molding Tapping Noise
Wow, the FB group seems to have it going on. Makes sense with the nature of the noise that it would get worse and come off. I have just hit the 800 mile mark so going to assume that by 1500 miles it will fly off. @Corgi_Express What FB group is it... the public one or the private one named "All New Defenders Group?" Not crazy about sharing my personal name but for this issue willing to share my real name. I just reached out to JLR corporate because not happy about this situation. Was fine with until finding out this poses a serious safety hazard.

@mgreenawald Thank you for sharing that picture. Was always interested what it looked like under the covers. What color is your Defender? Guessing either black or gondwana. I have yet to see a black one in person, but was my first choice. Bought what was on the dealer lot being Gondwana stone.

Last edited by njdefendernj; 08-10-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2020 | 02:21 PM
Three Wheeling

I picked up my Defender at the dealer on Friday, so I have less than 200 miles on it, but mine is making that noise on the passenger side at highway speeds. I'll report back as I put more miles on it.

The following users liked this post:
njdefendernj (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 02:43 PM
Three Wheeling

I mostly saw these reports on the private group on Facebook. The public group seems to have more problems with trolls.

Old 08-10-2020 | 03:02 PM
4wd Low

nj - I have a black with black package. Interestingly, there I have seen one nearly identical around town. I had to drive about 500 miles to get mine out of market; got lucky as someone cancelled an order.

Update on the A-Pillar - took it into LR dealer today, they are ordering parts and replacing. They didn't mention a service bulletin but I will bring it up when the parts come in. My LR dealership is not friendly; (I have/had 5 LRs - 3 currently - in the family not one purchased from them, probably why they don't like me). I would think they would like my service revenue but oh well. I am not sure I will get much out of them when I bring up the service bulletin. I would post pictures of the other 2 parts that are on top but they kept the pieces - not sure if they are sending into LR.

Old 08-10-2020 | 05:25 PM
Mudding

I have 4,561 miles on, and so far nothing has gone flying off. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. On my A-Pillar, I was driving 80+ mph for large portions of the drive, and I would say the sound was there only about 5% of the time. It's really hit or miss in my situation.

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Originally Posted by njdefendernj
Wow, the FB group seems to have it going on. Makes sense with the nature of the noise that it would get worse and come off. I have just hit the 800 mile mark so going to assume that by 1500 miles it will fly off. @Corgi_Express What FB group is it... the public one or the private one named "All New Defenders Group?" Not crazy about sharing my personal name but for this issue willing to share my real name. I just reached out to JLR corporate because not happy about this situation. Was fine with until finding out this poses a serious safety hazard.

@mgreenawald Thank you for sharing that picture. Was always interested what it looked like under the covers. What color is your Defender? Guessing either black or gondwana. I have yet to see a black one in person, but was my first choice. Bought what was on the dealer lot being Gondwana stone.

Old 08-12-2020 | 08:46 AM
Drifting

I have it, too. I apparently I didn't drive fast enough during the pre-sale test drive for ti to happen but it did it on the interstate driving home. It's the passenger side rattle around the A-pillar any time there's wind buffeting the windshield. For a time I thought it might be the windshield flexing from the adhesive- I had a similar noise on another vehicle until it finally 'popped' then stopped. I had recently had the windshield replaced and the installer said it was a common noise caused by the glass flex until the adhesive fully sets. I was hoping that was the cause on the Defender and it would go away on its own over time...

I did try flexing and adjusting that A-pillar cover and the rubber strip that touches the glass to try and locate but no success...

Tucker Woods (08-12-2020)
Old 08-25-2020 | 12:04 PM
3rd Gear

My dealer found it, after I pushed them a little. They detached the pillar A cover (nut on the bottom - engine compartment open), slide the cover off, put in filler/padding up and down the pillar, slide the cover back on (it should be very tight, hard to slide on) and tighten back the nut. Fixed it like a charm. No noise, even at 85mph

DefenderSmitty (12-20-2020)
Old 08-25-2020 | 12:43 PM
Overlanding

This is the best news I have heard all day.

Old 08-26-2020 | 09:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Johndebus
My dealer found it, after I pushed them a little. They detached the pillar A cover (nut on the bottom - engine compartment open), slide the cover off, put in filler/padding up and down the pillar, slide the cover back on (it should be very tight, hard to slide on) and tighten back the nut. Fixed it like a charm. No noise, even at 85mph
Do you have any info on they used for filler/padding? I'd like to try this myself.

Old 08-26-2020 | 11:58 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by njdefendernj
@Corgi_Express This is what I was referring to.

That looks like crap.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed