2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a very faint and intermittent crackling noise as well when I hear it which is rare if I firmly press on dash in front driver it stops - I think For now I am not touching anything to see how this sorts out. Any talking or radio and I would never hear it. I wonder of my car was exposed to very hot weather if it would change. Time will tell on this one as I watch forum and see what JLR does.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:41 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I spoke to soon about my A-pillar sound being cured. So I picked the vehicle up after the repair on Thursday when it was raining in NJ/NY. The sound was not there in the rain. Maybe water that gets into the crevices helps reduce vibration. However yesterday when it was dry/not raining, I noticed the tapping/crackling A-pillar sound is definitely gone at high speeds--I drove 30-40 miles on I-80/I-280 and it was totally gone. However, it has been replaced by a new vibration sound coming from the A-pillar that is noticeable btwn 40-55 mph. I want to spend more time driving the vehicle to analyze it a bit better (ie, are cross winds a factor, are there certain driving conditions that alleviate/exacerbate the noise), then this way I can give the dealer more details. It's not the end of the world--it handles/drives fine, but it is a bit disappointing. I'll bring it back to the dealership at some point.
----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

The following users liked this post:
DefenderSmitty (12-20-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 09:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My July build is in service now for the A Pillar repair. I asked the dealer on delivery to address / check this prior to pick up but as soon as I drove out, there it was. What side are you getting the noise on. My driver side is fine but noise comes from passenger A Pillar. I do worry felt tape is not going to be the long term solution on this...

Old 11-14-2020, 09:50 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Hoosbest,

My driver side is also fine; noise only comes from the passenger A-pillar. I must confess that I am a bit disappointed that the fix didn't fix it. Apparently, they did drive it to see if fixed, but I think that when it's raining, the water does something (maybe gets in crevices) to prevent the vibration sound.

Originally Posted by Hoosbest
My July build is in service now for the A Pillar repair. I asked the dealer on delivery to address / check this prior to pick up but as soon as I drove out, there it was. What side are you getting the noise on. My driver side is fine but noise comes from passenger A Pillar. I do worry felt tape is not going to be the long term solution on this...

Old 11-14-2020, 11:24 AM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

After my dealer did the A-pillar recall repair I still had some crackling noise when I drove over 80 mph. When I took it to the dealer they said the noise was actually from the snorkel (wind hitting it at higher speeds), so they added additional cushioning to it. They did this over 1000 miles ago and do date it seems to be fixed ... no issues yet.

The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (11-14-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After bailing on the 90 for my own frustrations. I drove quite far to get a 110 that met my needs/desires. Since had test drove the 110 prior I did not test drive on highway because I had a 2.5 hr trip back home and wanted to be quick....As soon as hit 60ish the dreaded noise.....My local dealer will be a$$ho*&es since did not get through them.

Thank you for all the great info!

Old 11-18-2020, 07:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 626 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by DefendThis
My local dealer will be a$$ho*&es since did not get through them.
The local dealer shouldn't be since they get to bill LR for the warranty repair and make money off it.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Got my Defender X last Tuesday before Thanksgiving. No noise up to 90mph on the way home and then back to the dealer to pick up mud flaps. Got the noise today at 250 miles on the odometer. I noticed that my passenger side wiper blade would flutter above 80 and hit my windshield. I ran the wiper and the flutter stopped. The wind noise is still there.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
Got my Defender X last Tuesday before Thanksgiving. No noise up to 90mph on the way home and then back to the dealer to pick up mud flaps. Got the noise today at 250 miles on the odometer. I noticed that my passenger side wiper blade would flutter above 80 and hit my windshield. I ran the wiper and the flutter stopped. The wind noise is still there.
There is an option to tuck the wipers inside. There is a winter mode where the wiper is out.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:25 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

new windshield bold cover - one side - left - paint required

I have the factory wrap. Anyone experienced how their dealer handles that repair?

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed