2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021 | 08:12 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by heidiswiss
I regret buying a 2020 Defender 110. My windshield cracks at about 50 MPH so I can not take it on the freeway. I am seeking a legal remedy as the dealer, as nice as they are, have no solution.
Can you be specific with your issue please: are you saying that the windshield has a crack in it and you cannot take it on the freeway, or are saying it is noisy at 50 mph because of the A-pillar issue?
What kind of legal remedy are you seeking?
I am asking because my 110 has been in 3 times for the A pillar noise and it is still there. While waiting for the 4th trip to the dealer to address the A pillar noise, I noticed a crack in my windshield the other day while parked in my garage. There are no visible impacts on the windshield to have caused this crack, and it looks like a stress crack that started at the bottom of the passenger side A pillar. I am curious to see if LR will cover the stress crack under warranty.

Old 02-23-2021 | 08:17 AM
6th Gear

there is a crackling noise at 50 mph on the passenger side that makes driving very distracting and annoying. I had the car two weeks in Oct 2020 and had to leave it with the dealer for 10 days then they said pick it up because we cant get the part until Nov, then it was December now they don't even offer a date for the part. I am exploring a legal solution now. My recommendation is to avoid wasting was money on a Defender.

Old 02-23-2021 | 08:46 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by heidiswiss
there is a crackling noise at 50 mph on the passenger side that makes driving very distracting and annoying. I had the car two weeks in Oct 2020 and had to leave it with the dealer for 10 days then they said pick it up because we cant get the part until Nov, then it was December now they don't even offer a date for the part. I am exploring a legal solution now. My recommendation is to avoid wasting was money on a Defender.
I feel your pain. The noise at 50mph from the passenger side is a known issue. I would try another dealer if that is an option for you. The dealers are stuck in the middle between their customers and LR. The fix (you can do a search on this forum) for the A pillar noise is not that complicated even though it still has not fixed mine. The Defender is an amazing vehicle and LR will eventually fix this. In the meantime, turn up the radio volume and enjoy the 110.

Old 02-23-2021 | 01:34 PM
Overlanding
Default Interesting development

My drivers side A Pillar trim popped off (except for the bottom bolt) which left it flapping in the wind. When I looked under the trim, I saw all of the squares of felt.

Took it to the dealership where I bought it two weeks ago. The service guy said that the felt used was not the type indicated by the TSB and likely caused the problem. He thinks it as too thick, allowed air to get underneath at highway speeds and caused the trim pop off and flap. I pointed out that they prepped the vehicle for sale two weeks ago and clearly they did the felt.

He shrugged. No confidence that this is resolved. For now, everything is reattached and no noise.

Old 03-12-2021 | 10:53 AM
Drifting

Mine got fixed this week 8 months after picking up the vehicle. It was a long process- After the quick no fix with the tape I had to convince the dealer my factory protective film was indeed factory, they ordered the correct parts which took a few months, then the third party vendor the dealer used for paint and wrap of the new parts was confused so I had to swing by his shop so he could look at car. But it's done and now there's no rattle at all at speed.

Hopefully if everyone's persistent and educates their dealers they will manage to address things.

Now, about the buggy software...

The following users liked this post:
wcc18999 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021 | 12:19 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Gator42
Mine got fixed this week 8 months after picking up the vehicle. It was a long process- After the quick no fix with the tape I had to convince the dealer my factory protective film was indeed factory, they ordered the correct parts which took a few months, then the third party vendor the dealer used for paint and wrap of the new parts was confused so I had to swing by his shop so he could look at car. But it's done and now there's no rattle at all at speed.

Hopefully if everyone's persistent and educates their dealers they will manage to address things.

Now, about the buggy software...
Glad to hear they got it fixed this time. Just curious, what did they do other than the felt tape for the A pillar and which correct part did they order? The protective film is an option on the paint to the best of my knowledge unless I am mistaken. Mine had its fourth attempt to fix the A pillar noise and it is now the worse than it has ever been. I have LRNA involved now and asked them to fix it or replace the vehicle. I am still hopeful it can be fixed as I really like the Defender.

Old 03-12-2021 | 02:25 PM
Drifting

I was told the felt tape repair was a quick fix until LR developed a permanent solution. That permanent solution: replacement of the outer, body colored A-pillar panels with new, redesigned panels.

My repair order shows two 'finishers': LR 142542 and LR142525 and 'film': LR138331 and LR138332 (the factory wrap on my vehicle). The dealer sent the parts to the body shop to paint them my truck's body color green and apply the film.

Once they were returned to the dealer swapping them out for the old panels took less than an hour. Under warranty, no cost...

The following users liked this post:
wcc18999 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-12-2021 | 03:22 PM
Mudding

I have sent three separate emails to LRNA on their support site regarding this and one other issue. I have yet to get a response from any of them. What a difference than say BMW who actually responds. Has anyone heard from them via email inquiry? Worst aftermarket support of any brand I have been involved with.

Old 03-12-2021 | 03:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Hence why they are losing 100,000 sales annually per their CEO.

Old 03-12-2021 | 08:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Gator42
I was told the felt tape repair was a quick fix until LR developed a permanent solution. That permanent solution: replacement of the outer, body colored A-pillar panels with new, redesigned panels.

My repair order shows two 'finishers': LR 142542 and LR142525 and 'film': LR138331 and LR138332 (the factory wrap on my vehicle). The dealer sent the parts to the body shop to paint them my truck's body color green and apply the film.

Once they were returned to the dealer swapping them out for the old panels took less than an hour. Under warranty, no cost...
What exactly was the problem you were having and reported to the dealer that ultimately led to this fix?

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed