2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recover Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 10:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear bumper clearly shows knockouts in the bumper cover for the exposed recovery points:

Old 10-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 718 Likes on 604 Posts

Thats the bumper cover, I am talking about the actual bumper that seems to be missing from images. One with no cover would make help explain things a little better.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Thats the bumper cover, I am talking about the actual bumper that seems to be missing from images. One with no cover would make help explain things a little better.
Understood. I wish someone at Land Rover Corporate was available to answer these questions.

Another oddity is that the configuration shows winch accessories that can be ordered from the factory but A winch is not shown as an option? What the heck is that about!

Last edited by hsarch; 10-27-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts
Old 10-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Drifting

This image shows the bumper cover removed. There are no rear recovery points under it but there appears to be a single large bolt hole behind the rear bumper knock out that could accept a perhaps separately supplied eye bolt with the tool kit. This would suggest that if stuck and can't access the front recovery point (if it is stalled from the factory and under a removable fascia) you would have to remove the rear bumper knock out and bolt in a recover eye. Seems ridiculous. I'm hoping if the exposed recovery points do not become available as factory ordered accessories for models other than the X that the recovery eyes can be purchased as separate parts and installed after delivery.

This is the link to the build video from which the above image was clipped. You can ignore the balance of the video after the build as I don't know how to edit it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsIZ...outu.be&t=1048

Last edited by hsarch; 10-31-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Found this info that suggests the front recovery point (eye) is built in, from Land Rover Newsroom:

"This new body architecture provides ground clearance of 11.5-in (291mm) and exceptional off-road geometry, giving the Defender 110 approach, breakover and departure angles of 38, 28 and 40 degrees (in Off-Road height with tow eye cover removed) respectively."

Old 10-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Drifting

This is an image of the Defender under construction with the front recovery point installed, fascia cover off:

Old 10-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Drifting

I received this response to an inquiry I submitted to Land Rover:
Exposed Recovery eyes are specific to the X model as Factory Fit only, that will be as an option with availability in the Summer of 2020. The Front Undershield is unique to the X as factory Fit but it could be added via Retailer Fit to the First Edition model at a later date. We advise for you to liase with your selling Retailer to arrange for the fitment of this item when it becomes available in the Summer of 2020

So, it sounds like that front recovery point is factory installed and for all models other than the X which the undershield can be factory ordered, the shield can be added after delivery to expose it.

I imagine the rear exposed recovery eyes will also be available as separate parts at some point. As others mentioned above, I would still like to know what is provided from the factory as rear recovery points behind the bumper knockouts. If the exposed recovery eyes are an option, it suggests hidden rear recovery points or a bolt hole of some type may be provided from the factory. if only a bolt hole something like this is supplied with the tool kit:

LRRRS part:
https://parts.landroverpalmbeach.com...r=BingShopping

I have not been able to find an owners manual on line. Perhaps someone with a connection to LR parts or service can dig that up.

Last edited by hsarch; 10-30-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear

Well I dont think it took five hours to get the plate off, its just quarter turn plastic screws like on the LR3. I just think that during the recovery it was an issue brought up that they decided to address. I am sure in short order there will also be aftermarket plates one get install, like on the LR3/4, that expose the front recovery point.

I found all this simply searching Google.

I wish these images showed the rear bumper, but its not even installed for some season. The front, however, you can see the clearly integrated recovery point.

Thanks for posting these, that's great info.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:54 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by hsarch
I have a First Addition on order:

It has no recovery eyes. I see from the model configuration website that the X model comes with two recovery eyes at the rear bumper.

Can the X Model recovery eyes be ordered as separate parts and can they be added to the First Addition rear bumper after delivery?
Will there be front recover eyes or hooks made available from Land Rover or from aftermarket retailers?

Is there an aftermarket product line already available for the new Defender?

Thanks,
Did anyone answer your question? If not I will. There are recovery points on ALL Defender models however they are hidden behind little plastic panels. In the rear under the floor there are two "EYES" that screw in to the revovery points. The orange recovery points are a extra for the X model only. I have asked my dealer in Sydney if I can order the hooks and have them added. I know you can order them in the UK and there is a handy youtube video on how to fit them yourself.
If I hear from JLR I will update you

Note if you plan to user the recovery points for wintching or off road recovery then you WILL need to replace the basin "EYES" with full recovery hooks.

Quick Reply: Recover Eyes