Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rails on V8 Model Defenders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 04:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer20
I don’t work for JLR but I’ve worked on similar stuff at other companies. The reason is that the center of gravity would be too high for the amount of grip that the tires provide on the V8.

Most pick up and SUV tires are purposely limited in the maximum grip capacity to prevent roll-overs during emergency maneuvers when the truck is heavily loaded, and a couple hundred lbs on the roof makes a huge difference in a trucks rollover resistance.

This is not only a high speed issue. Cars have the most grip and yaw response at lower speeds, so things can go haywire even at 30-40mph.
That makes little sense to me. Yes the V8 weighs a little more but doubt whether it significantly alters the centre of gravity from other defenders to make roll over any more of an issue with it? I suspect it is more about excessive speed with all that weight up there….

Old 04-29-2024, 11:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NZDriver
That makes little sense to me. Yes the V8 weighs a little more but doubt whether it significantly alters the centre of gravity from other defenders to make roll over any more of an issue with it? I suspect it is more about excessive speed with all that weight up there….
it’s not the V8, it’s the fact that it comes with grippier tires. And yes, of the top speed is higher that will also play in. Basically the overall performance envelope of the V8 is such that it’s not stable with a roof load in all conditions. They could have either neutered the car back to the P400’s performance envelope (grip, top speed, etc.) or they can reduce the loading allowance to match the performance envelope they wanted to offer for the V8 model.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Starting to make a little more sense. It would be nice if JRL (or maybe one of the forum gurus) would have a discussion on this. Roof weight vis a vis speed, on-road/off-road, all terrain/all season tires (grip), acceleration, speed, etc. if nit from a technical viewpoint, then an owner understanding viewpoint. For example putting roof rails on should have no effect. Adding cross bars might, adding gear to cross bars likely, etc. I think we (or I hope some of us anyway) are smart enough to adjust our driving to the conditions. I would NOT go 146 mph with two kayaks on the roof on a gravel road, although now that I think about it! One thing that bugs me, any Defender can go fast with any tire, safe or not. So what’s the difference?

Old 04-29-2024, 01:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Roof load can becomes a problem at 30-40mph, doesn’t have to be 146mph. Stability with different loading conditions is a very complex problem. Land Rover is liable for the performance of the car with its factory equipment and within its stated load capacities, and they have internal requirements for what they deem is acceptable stability and how much safety factor they provide. They also have to consider what happens if the adaptive suspension fails or if a wheel speed sensor fails and stability control isn’t available.

The only thing we can conclude is that the roof load pushed the V8 defender with its suspension and tires outside of what they consider safe within their corporate policies.

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (04-29-2024)