Sponsored by:

Small rattle at Driver side B Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by EchorecT7E
Were you ever able to solve this?
That will be this weeks project. I put some Honda lube on the seals and that did make things a bit quieter, but that tap tap rattle comes and goes. I was going to do it today but had to remount my roof rack wind deflector which went from easy to wtf, so that blew sundays hours. I plan on fiddling with the harness tomorrow. I’ll report back here once I have some miles on any changes I make.

The following 2 users liked this post by chpsk8:
EchorecT7E (11-22-2023), VillaDazzler (11-20-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 08:53 AM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chpsk8
That will be this weeks project. I put some Honda lube on the seals and that did make things a bit quieter, but that tap tap rattle comes and goes. I was going to do it today but had to remount my roof rack wind deflector which went from easy to wtf, so that blew sundays hours. I plan on fiddling with the harness tomorrow. I’ll report back here once I have some miles on any changes I make.
Let me know what you find. I tried removing the above drivers side rear seat light this weekend to pull around the harness but the rattle is still there.

Old 11-22-2023, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling

I think I got it today. My noise was a tap tap tap, or tick tick tick, when hitting sharp bumps. Didn’t happen constantly, but would happen every drive.

I started yesterday with the light above the passenger side rear door. Thinking it was a loose wiring harness, I pulled the light. It’s well wrapped and only has 3-4” of wire that could make noise. It’s covered in felt tape and is well placed. Not the culprit.

Today I changed gears and started by tightening the two T30 screws that hold the grab handle above the front passenger door. This didn’t solve it, but it changed the cadence in which it occurred.

Next I pulled the handle out completely. There are two tabs or wings that are on each side of the screws. Those tabs are plastic and are designed to hold the handle in place when they put the headliner in. So the tabs hold the handle into the headliner, then once the headliner is in place they can set the screws.

I pulled the handle and wrapped the little tabs in felt tape. Duct tape would work as well. I also made a small gasket for the mating surfaces where the screw fastens the handle to the vehicle.
When reinstalling it was a pita to get the handle back in since the tabs want to flop different directions. I would guess you could just cut them off and just use the screws.

Went for my test run down a bumpy road and sure enough, no tapping, ticking, nothing. Problem solved.

So my theory is that the tabs were clicking on something, so covering them softens the tapping so you don’t hear it. Either that or the gasket now cushions the plastic on metal contact. My money is on the tabs and that one could cut them off completely and eliminate the problem.

Old 11-22-2023, 02:49 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chpsk8
I think I got it today. My noise was a tap tap tap, or tick tick tick, when hitting sharp bumps. Didn’t happen constantly, but would happen every drive.

I started yesterday with the light above the passenger side rear door. Thinking it was a loose wiring harness, I pulled the light. It’s well wrapped and only has 3-4” of wire that could make noise. It’s covered in felt tape and is well placed. Not the culprit.

Today I changed gears and started by tightening the two T30 screws that hold the grab handle above the front passenger door. This didn’t solve it, but it changed the cadence in which it occurred.

Next I pulled the handle out completely. There are two tabs or wings that are on each side of the screws. Those tabs are plastic and are designed to hold the handle in place when they put the headliner in. So the tabs hold the handle into the headliner, then once the headliner is in place they can set the screws.

I pulled the handle and wrapped the little tabs in felt tape. Duct tape would work as well. I also made a small gasket for the mating surfaces where the screw fastens the handle to the vehicle.
When reinstalling it was a pita to get the handle back in since the tabs want to flop different directions. I would guess you could just cut them off and just use the screws.

Went for my test run down a bumpy road and sure enough, no tapping, ticking, nothing. Problem solved.

So my theory is that the tabs were clicking on something, so covering them softens the tapping so you don’t hear it. Either that or the gasket now cushions the plastic on metal contact. My money is on the tabs and that one could cut them off completely and eliminate the problem.
Will definitely try this when I get the chance. How did you remove the grab handle? Do you pry up those plastic covers covering what I believe are screws?

Old 11-22-2023, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, the little covers have a divot where you can put a small 90degree pick in the hole and expose the screw.
The handle will resist coming out because the tabs are holding it in place. Pull straight out and help the tabs with the same pick.

The following users liked this post:
VillaDazzler (11-22-2023)
Old 06-24-2024, 07:02 PM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Okay, you guys are the best. As reported, I knocked 70-80% of the sound out with a thorough Shin-Etsy dousing of all of the front door seals. On the advice of this thread I ordered the Gummipfledge, but when I searched for it on Amazon (US) This is what came up, so I ordered it. Thirteen bucks. It came the next day and I spread it today.

Just got back from a long drive over roads that always caused the tik-tik sound before and not a whisper now. It’s the best feeling knowing I’m not going to have to take it to the dealer, try and describe it, and have them take apart the door.
This post saved my sanity. I hit all of my driver's side seals with this and the rattle is gone. This is an old thread but thank you to everyone who chimed in with their fixes, the noise was both tiny and obnoxious, like a mosquito in your camping tent...

This is what I used:
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (06-26-2024)