2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A snorkel for the new Defender? Yes Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 08:00 PM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting that you bumped this thread. I recently did the full day experience at the Biltmore in North Carolina (great day). Our guide was very knowledgeable and supposedly one of the leading authorities on all things Land Rover in the US. I asked him about the factory snorkel ...and in a nutshell, he basically and carefully said, it's not that good. (I still love the way mine looks)

After that discussion we took their Defender 110 through some deep water and shortly after that, the power steering went out. Turned the vehicle on/off multiple times, thinking it may reboot, but it never came back. Maybe some water got into some electronics.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
The other weekend had me thinking about snorkels again. Seems like all is legit on the Bravo Snorkel in spite of their photoshopping. It ships from Europe for about $500 all in. Fully sealed to the airbox.

I want to find out more about what other factors limit the wading depth. Diff breathers etc. I do think it would be a half decent insurance policy in water that's flowing a bit. Not sure if I'll get one. Install doesn't seem too onerous a task.

I think I'm at about 30" here. Plenty of room to spare with a bow-wave.
That is terrifying. This is exactly why God invented deserts for our off-roading pleasure. You are clearly insane.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
ficklma1 (05-24-2023), GavinC (05-23-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 12:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Finlander
Interesting that you bumped this thread. I recently did the full day experience at the Biltmore in North Carolina (great day). Our guide was very knowledgeable and supposedly one of the leading authorities on all things Land Rover in the US. I asked him about the factory snorkel ...and in a nutshell, he basically and carefully said, it's not that good. (I still love the way mine looks)

After that discussion we took their Defender 110 through some deep water and shortly after that, the power steering went out. Turned the vehicle on/off multiple times, thinking it may reboot, but it never came back. Maybe some water got into some electronics.
The not-a-snorkel-RAI being unsealed is; to coin a poetic phrase from a Kiwi mate, about as useful as tďts on a bull. They sure are popular. A good seller.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:56 AM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

No idea why this is such a heated debate… a snorkel would be well worth the extra assurance for me, much of my off-roading/camping requires river crossings which at times can be dicey here in the Ozarks. The Bravo looks the part, although there aren’t many reviews of their snorkels online. I also worry I’d screw up the install somehow, even though it looks simple on face value it never is as easy as advertised.

I’m also on the lookout for the Terrafirma Snorkel which should launch sometime in the next month or two per a guy testing out the L663 product range on Facebook. Here’s to hoping they’ll bring a snorkel, bullbar, etc to market that wont set you back a down payment on a house. Their old Defender products seem to be fairly priced.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (05-25-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 10:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by EchorecT7E
No idea why this is such a heated debate… a snorkel would be well worth the extra assurance for me, much of my off-roading/camping requires river crossings which at times can be dicey here in the Ozarks. The Bravo looks the part, although there aren’t many reviews of their snorkels online. I also worry I’d screw up the install somehow, even though it looks simple on face value it never is as easy as advertised.

I’m also on the lookout for the Terrafirma Snorkel which should launch sometime in the next month or two per a guy testing out the L663 product range on Facebook. Here’s to hoping they’ll bring a snorkel, bullbar, etc to market that wont set you back a down payment on a house. Their old Defender products seem to be fairly priced.
Good to know on TerraFirma. Will keep an eye on that. Like you said, extra assurance is really the key point.

ficklma1 (05-25-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Good to know on TerraFirma. Will keep an eye on that. Like you said, extra assurance is really the key point.
Found the picture. It sure looks the part, definitely a little better than the Bravo IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by EchorecT7E:
GavinC (05-24-2023), GrouseK9 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

Not a snorkel kinda-guy, but what's the logic of it facing forward? I thought the trend was to have them aspirate to the rear in order to decrease dust/whatever. Looks pretty cool, but not my jam. In Texas, if the rains cause a creek to flood - wise people avoid them. When it comes to permanent water, they are just so uncommon as not to be a typical obstacle to plan for. But, I am fascinated in them! In this case, I thought there were a lot of other issues (something itches in my brain about breathers in axles, but that could be dated). I thought more would be needed on the Defender than just a "real" snorkel (vs. the OEM "looking" one that has questionable value for water crossings).

Old 05-24-2023, 04:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Not a snorkel kinda-guy, but what's the logic of it facing forward? I thought the trend was to have them aspirate to the rear in order to decrease dust/whatever. Looks pretty cool, but not my jam. In Texas, if the rains cause a creek to flood - wise people avoid them. When it comes to permanent water, they are just so uncommon as not to be a typical obstacle to plan for. But, I am fascinated in them! In this case, I thought there were a lot of other issues (something itches in my brain about breathers in axles, but that could be dated). I thought more would be needed on the Defender than just a "real" snorkel (vs. the OEM "looking" one that has questionable value for water crossings).
On Jeeps (and so presumably on everything) the diffs and maybe other greasy bits down there have breather tubes that allow air to get in and out. I believe on the JK Wrangler I have the tubes come out of the side and go a short distance up to the top of the diffs and terminate, but I can't say for sure. As a matter of fact, I have new axles front and rear, with new diffs, of course, or I should say replacement, as they're no longer new. At any rate, I don't remember what we even decided to do with the tubes, but the deep-water guys extend the breather tubes and run them up to above their max wading depth. If you don't, so goes the internet wisdom, and you spend very much time under water, water can travel into your diffs and dilute the grease within, and also contribute to rust. Although one would think the heat in there would quickly evap any water, but watery grease could be a problem.

It may well be one of those things that does happen under certain extreme situations but most people will never spend nearly enough time in spots like GavinC apparently frequents to need to worry.

GavinC (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 09:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
On Jeeps (and so presumably on everything) the diffs and maybe other greasy bits down there have breather tubes that allow air to get in and out. I believe on the JK Wrangler I have the tubes come out of the side and go a short distance up to the top of the diffs and terminate, but I can't say for sure. As a matter of fact, I have new axles front and rear, with new diffs, of course, or I should say replacement, as they're no longer new. At any rate, I don't remember what we even decided to do with the tubes, but the deep-water guys extend the breather tubes and run them up to above their max wading depth. If you don't, so goes the internet wisdom, and you spend very much time under water, water can travel into your diffs and dilute the grease within, and also contribute to rust. Although one would think the heat in there would quickly evap any water, but watery grease could be a problem.

It may well be one of those things that does happen under certain extreme situations but most people will never spend nearly enough time in spots like GavinC apparently frequents to need to worry.

@NoGaBiker Enjoys a spot of fishing circa 2063 (about tea time)

I guess you're right.