2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDI Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 07:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

GavinC: You asked a good and interesting question. I know nothing on the topic either. I hope someone can share the answer publicly ... always good to learn something?

Old 11-22-2021, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
I know next to nothing about tuning.

Increased fuel economy, torque and HP.

Given the ubiquity of the non-free-lunch-hypotheses, where's the rub?

I'll take my answer off the air.
The way I've always understood it is that it's not using more fuel to get more power. It's tweaking the engine to get more power from the same fuel.

Changing the fuel/air mix, increasing fuel pressure, and changing timing of cam/lift/valve components, altering temperatures and kicking the turbo in a little faster... all gives a power increase.

From there, now that there is more torque, the transmission can shift faster with the same output. Less time in lower gear also gives better mpg. The engine should feel smoother with all of this.

Some engines are under-tuned from the factory so they can sell dif't versions like the d200 and d250. Those LR engines are the same in every way except tuning and $$. Want 50 more hp? Pay LR for it. It's pure profit.

There's a conversation to be had about the drawbacks. Tuning can cause the engine to fail emissions in some areas like California. Should my Florida engine have to be neutered because of California? Debatable.

Excessive or bad tuning can also cause wear on fuel injectors (increased pressure), turbos (kicking in more), or other parts.

I've always assumed (right or wrong idk) tuning mostly causes more wear in general and would only do it on a car I plan on keeping 3 years or so. Most of the people I know with tuned engines are diesel. You can practically shovel dirt into a diesel and they just run. Only know 1 with tuned gas engine. None have ever had problems and most are around 40k miles or more into it.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (11-22-2021), TrioLRowner (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 07:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Maybe put another way...

We have a 460hp engine that gets 20mpg. Unfortunately it doesn't meet emissions standards in every market where we want to sell it.

We can't have 4 versions of a P400. It's too confusing.

We can tune it specifically to hit the highest emissions standard but it gives us 398 hp at 18mpg.

Emissions are non-negotiable while CAFE can be played with through buying credits from Tesla (LR is one of Tesla's best customers).

The following 3 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Eitan (11-30-2021), GavinC (11-22-2021), TrioLRowner (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 09:41 AM
WMN
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
The way I've always understood it is that it's not using more fuel to get more power. It's tweaking the engine to get more power from the same fuel.

Changing the fuel/air mix, increasing fuel pressure, and changing timing of cam/lift/valve components, altering temperatures and kicking the turbo in a little faster... all gives a power increase.

From there, now that there is more torque, the transmission can shift faster with the same output. Less time in lower gear also gives better mpg. The engine should feel smoother with all of this.

Some engines are under-tuned from the factory so they can sell dif't versions like the d200 and d250. Those LR engines are the same in every way except tuning and $$. Want 50 more hp? Pay LR for it. It's pure profit.

There's a conversation to be had about the drawbacks. Tuning can cause the engine to fail emissions in some areas like California. Should my Florida engine have to be neutered because of California? Debatable.

Excessive or bad tuning can also cause wear on fuel injectors (increased pressure), turbos (kicking in more), or other parts.

I've always assumed (right or wrong idk) tuning mostly causes more wear in general and would only do it on a car I plan on keeping 3 years or so. Most of the people I know with tuned engines are diesel. You can practically shovel dirt into a diesel and they just run. Only know 1 with tuned gas engine. None have ever had problems and most are around 40k miles or more into it.
Thanks for this! So many variables, so much time(ing).

Don't know if anyone watches Engine Masters but they have some great shows, a number are about timing and cams in general, and what does and doesn't create power.

The episodes are part of MotorTrend TV, I think.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,142 Likes on 895 Posts

Thanks @_Allegedly

Good info. Makes a lot of sense.

I think I watched a video on here (you may have even posted it) of a guy effectively shoveling dirt into a diesel engine. Sucking a bucket of sand in through the air intake to see if they could get it to explode. Diesels are amazing. Wish we could get them on the Defender here in the states. No biggie I guess.

Sorry to shift things to Diesel talk OP. I know you have the p400. Carry on. Hopefully I'll learn something here.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (11-22-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 07:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Location: Summer in Upstate NY, Winter in South Florida, Spring and Fall in Kentucky
Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

I just tried ordering one of these but could not get it ordered since I dont have my Vin# yet.

edit: I got an order placed early 11/27/2021.
Now i just need confirmation that my Defender is ready to ship…. and get it delivered.

Originally Posted by _Allegedly

Hard to beat this pricing for Black Friday. It's less without optional Bluetooth to control the programs from an app but I can't see going without that feature. I'm in. Ordering tomorrow. Thank you @DefXBill

Data sheet for p400 attached.

Last edited by 4x4 DAVE; 11-27-2021 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DefXBill
I have been running the TDI tune for a couple of weeks now and I must report I am very happy. The throttle response off idle is the most noticeable, almost eliminated the turbo lag. I like the idea of not changing the ECU map, just trick the sensor inputs much like the Johnson lift rods do, but in this case the boost sensors. And it is easy to put back to stock. I highly recommend this mod. It was an easy tool-less install, although one of the sensors is tricky to access. They claim an increase in MPG with HP gain, coming from the modified Diesel truck world this is a new experience for me. So I agree with their increase in HP claims, guessing I’m around 450 now plenty for me. It was easy to find a location to mount. If you go on their website and they don’t show one for our P400 application email them, they have one.
Bill, were your wire leads both marked “B1”? Or B1 & B2 ? My TDI kit arrived yesterday and both of my leads have a blue tape with B1 on both. Since the individual wires are different colors… I’m assuming wire leads are specific to sensor 1 & 2 & TDI mismarked one of the jumper leads??

Old 11-30-2021, 09:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Jati;801931]Bill, were your wire leads both marked “B1”? Or B1 & B2 ? My TDI kit arrived yesterday and both of my leads have a blue tape with B1 on both. Since the individual wires are different colors… I’m assuming wire leads are specific to sensor 1 & 2 & TDI mismarked one of the jumper leads??[/QUOTE. As a follow up…. Turns out that the leads work in either configuration on this application…. While I’m only using setting #4 as suggested for about 40 miles before I can set it up to 7….. a very noticeable difference!!! Couldn’t be more pleased!

Old 11-30-2021, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Mystery object

Greetings every one ... .Just installed this today, and it was a bit of a bear for BOOST1 fitting. Barely reached it, but ... was done in the end.
When I ordered this device I got it with BT connectivity. It got a mystery object that might be the BT "dongle". Now, where would I connect this ? It seems to have the same type of connector as the unit itself, but no extra port where to connect it (!?).
No, there is no explanation on the manual or install instructions they've sent, and no support today (for some reason they are closed).
Any help is appreciated !

Last edited by Mechano2020; 11-30-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jati
Bill, were your wire leads both marked “B1”? Or B1 & B2 ? My TDI kit arrived yesterday and both of my leads have a blue tape with B1 on both
I just got mine installed today, and I had B1 and B2 as labels.

The following users liked this post:
Jati (11-30-2021)

Quick Reply: TDI Tune