Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDI Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 03:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Rychlr
Hi, how does this unit affect vehicle warranty? .....
I am talking about my case here: I was told, very nicely, that it will " ... I did not hear what you said, and don't come with it here, installed"
Some dealerships may turn a blind eye ( then again, depends who is there that day ).
Overall guess, yeah... they may void your warranty.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

About how long does it take to uninstall/reinstall this tuner?

Old 12-10-2021, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Not too long, but is a PITA to do it. Especially at the "booster 2". Very tight space and you need to do it mostly on the blind. The connectors are real tight and if not careful, you may pull some wires. Being tight is good, but these are stupidly tight.
But, all the cable routing and will have to be done over, each time you take it of, and put it back on.
My only concern is that if I get stuck on the side of the road, and need to go straight to the dealer, then I am hosed.
Can I do this on the side of the road ? who knows... maybe.
So far, I have been close to 2 weeks driving with this thing, and I am not impressed a bit.
I want to like it, hence I bought it, but I have yet to see an improvement or benefit.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:04 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020

Greetings every one ... .Just installed this today, and it was a bit of a bear for BOOST1 fitting. Barely reached it, but ... was done in the end.
When I ordered this device I got it with BT connectivity. It got a mystery object that might be the BT "dongle". Now, where would I connect this ? It seems to have the same type of connector as the unit itself, but no extra port where to connect it (!?).
No, there is no explanation on the manual or install instructions they've sent, and no support today (for some reason they are closed).
Any help is appreciated !
I think the dongle is to be used when you take out the tuning box and can still have the harness installed.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:55 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

i believe you are correct. i don’t have the module but have similar products on other cars. they give you a bypass valve to remove the actual module when going into service and not having to remove all wiring.

piggy back tunes have been around for a long time. they provide safe moderate power gains. if you are asking or concerned about this affecting your warranty this is not for you

any modification to your car is a voided warranty concern.

long story to what a dealer can void your warranty for but they can and you have to fight it. best to have a great relationship with your service department and be honest. sometimes things go wrong

i have been waiting for racechip to release their version. taking much longer than expected and prob got with TDI

Originally Posted by Rychlr
I think the dongle is to be used when you take out the tuning box and can still have the harness installed.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:06 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Would be nice for LR to offer the equivalent of a Volvo/Polestar tune — dealer option that juices the mapping a bit and still preserves the warranty. Some dealers (Mini comes to mind) will even install aftermarket tuning devices and not care — e.g., catering to the crowd — vs being lame enforcers.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
Would be nice for LR to offer the equivalent of a Volvo/Polestar tune — dealer option that juices the mapping a bit and still preserves the warranty. Some dealers (Mini comes to mind) will even install aftermarket tuning devices and not care — e.g., catering to the crowd — vs being lame enforcers.
It's not really a question of being enforcers, lame or otherwise. You can't really expect any car manufacturer to continue to warranty their vehicles once they have been third-party-modified to perform outside their design specification.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

there are specific laws that protect consumers and aftermarket parts but depends on where you live. despite my relationships with my dealerships i get occasional accusations about some parts. But these parts have to be proven to have caused the issue.

for an example i had some HRE forged wheels on my bmw x5m. had some issues with my transmission and they tried to blame the wheels. they stated the wheels were larger in diameter and heavier causing the issue. they wanted to deny the claim. well after disputing their claims i had proven that they had never measure the overall diameter of the wheels and that my aftermarket wheels were actually 1 pound lighter than the stock wheels.

they didn’t have much to say after my dispute. they fixed the issue under warranty

Originally Posted by Muppetry
It's not really a question of being enforcers, lame or otherwise. You can't really expect any car manufacturer to continue to warranty their vehicles once they have been third-party-modified to perform outside their design specification.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
it’s actually a thing that some dealers try to get out of repairs using any excuse they can even if there is no reasonable way to connect cause and effect. So if you blow your engine with evidence of an aftermarket tune… maybe reasonable to assume you might have an issue… can’t update your pivi or you have an air suspension issue and your dealer tries to blame your engine tune… yup, lame.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
it’s actually a thing that some dealers try to get out of repairs using any excuse they can even if there is no reasonable way to connect cause and effect. So if you blow your engine with evidence of an aftermarket tune… maybe reasonable to assume you might have an issue… can’t update your pivi or you have an air suspension issue and your dealer tries to blame your engine tune… yup, lame.
Agreed, but surely the issue under discussion here was whether this aftermarket engine management hack would be a legitimate reason to void the engine warranty.

Quick Reply: TDI Tune