2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 08:03 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked to see if updates were available for mine, but it says that it has the latest version. I still have the old version without wireless CarPlay. Is this update done by the dealer or is it supposed to download by itself?

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 08:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by RR2Dfndr
I checked to see if updates were available for mine, but it says that it has the latest version. I still have the old version without wireless CarPlay. Is this update done by the dealer or is it supposed to download by itself?
It's OTA (Over the Air); automatic, not dealer installed.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 303 Likes on 170 Posts

Got the update last night (in the garage nonetheless).

Deleted and re-paired both the iPhone (her) and the Android (me) and both seem to work great.

Now she can toss her iPhone on the wireless charging pad and forget about it whenever she drives.

Sweet.

Old 11-21-2021, 06:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 220 Likes on 134 Posts

I played with it a bit, was able to play some audio from youtube, there are a couple of 'live' songs I listen to a lot so it works for those in a pinch, doesn't display any video or image but works for the audio. Would the youtube music app display video too?

Other items of note, cameras stay up now, even above 25 mph, pretty cool. I thought this would be absolutely giant in helping with blind spots but either the 'objects' appear much more distant than they really are or the actual feed lags by a couple of seconds making it not so useful for this purpose.

The mute button (for me it's the customized button) seems to unmute when you get back in the next day and start the vehicle, annoyance. I wish they'd make a mistake with auto stop/start 'accidentally' setting it to off every day. We can't be that lucky though. lol

Auto HBA, had a question about this, toggle it off within the options and a light comes on the dash which says auto on? Is this actually off when it's toggled on and on when toggled to off? If that's the case mine has been off since purchase.

Lane keep and other BS I don't want was toggled back on, expected that by now. Check all of your previous settings after the update installs.

Last edited by Chief65; 11-21-2021 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
I played with it a bit, was able to play some audio from youtube, there are a couple of 'live' songs I listen to a lot so it works for those in a pinch, doesn't display any video or image but works for the audio. Would the youtube music app display video too?
Go to YT music settings for that.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:59 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK well I guess I owe you all a mini-review for wireless carplay adapter!

The part arrived Friday afternoon, so I popped it into the truck as soon as I got home. Pairing was a bit finicky, and the instructions are pure ****e. However, it seemed to connect at first, then it didn't, then it did. At one point when it was connected, I was able to go to the update website and it said there was an updated firmware--this is absolutely critical. After installing the firmware, the unit was more stable and seemed to work the way you would expect.

So today I drove around with it, about 7-8 times in and out of the car. All but once my phone connected and the Carplay began automatically. I would say it takes 15-20 seconds after you turn the car on for your phone to connect. The experience has been generally good, but not flawless.

Positives:
When it works, which has been 90% of the time, it's really neat. Phone is tucked away in my pocket and I have full Carplay access
Negatives/unknowns:
Remote start might be an issue. The one time it didn't connect for me was when I used remote start. I unplugged the unit from the USB port and reconnected it and my phone connected to it fine after that
My backup camera has been iffy while the unit is plugged in. Sometimes it doesn't come up automatically when going into reverse--but other times it works just fine so I'm not sure what's going on. The screen icon works just fine
One time, I shut the vehicle off and it restarted itself immediately. That was very weird. Did I mash the start button twice by accident, or was something else going on? I don't know.
There is a very slight lag when using the Carplay interfece vs. hard wired. However, it's more than acceptable.
I'm not sure how wireless Carplay is supposed to work, but this unit seems to connect to your phone via both bluetooth & wifi. However, niether one actually shows that they are connected from the phone side once you are actually using the unit.
The center console USB port does not work for Carplay. It looks like you must use either 1/2 that are under the screen, or #3 in the back seat if you have that option.
So the bottom line is that it's new/experimental, but if it works for me the way it did today I would be very happy. I have not spent enough time in the truck to experience all of the bugs I'm sure, but if I've seen the worst of it then this is a great improvement from stock

Tips: disconnect/forget the Uconnect in the vehicle and then update the firmware immediately. I am using an iPhone 11 on iOS 13.4