Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

DI Radio light really not serviceable??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DI Radio light really not serviceable??

Okay, ran to the Land Rover dealer to get another bunch of seemingly impossible to find light bulbs. Asked for one to replace the radio display & they told me the lights on the stero were non-serviceable. I really find that hard to believe. Are they right?? I need to replace the whole thing for a bulb??

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

They're LED's and you can find them at Radio Shack, requires soldering. Half of my display wasn't back lit when I first bought the stock Pioneer radio off Fleabay. My truck had an aftermarket radio (cheapo that the owner was so proud of installing) I told the owner to keep it which left me without one and no code. After I brought the radio back to working condition I bought an excellent aftermarket to work with my iPod. The irony. Have you taken the faceplate off yet?

When I go to the bone yard I pocket every bulb I can get my hands on. I have a storehouse of spare bulbs w/holders, relays, switches, face plates, subs, *****, fuses...... I use an electricians tool bag with a few simple tools since they allow it. It always comes back full and heavy. Hey, if they're gonna charge top dollar for me to pull it then I'll charge interest for being there in the first place.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I'm a great fan of the pull-a-part enterprise system I have ton's of better than came with the DI stuff installed & in reserve, but the light situation with the DI is simply insane!! Haven't pulled the radio out & really like the sound from the factory systen W/subwoffer. I know there's a code to the radio which I have, but would that code work with another radio, or just the one that came in the truck? I saw one on ebay and sent the seller a message to ask if he had the code for the radio, be they never responded. If the code was to the truck & not the radio, I'd just ****** one out of the junk yard.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Code is hardwired into the radio so they don't work if ripped off. Seriously the LED's are not hard to replace but then again one man's easy is another mans impossible. Radio Shack has them. I still have my LR radio that I replaced them in and it's sitting in the pole barn on a shelf. If you really think you can't do the LED's then I can send it to ya if I can find the code for it. I wrote it on a sticky note..... and notes don't last long around me. I'll see what I can do. Let me know, just send me a PM.

It is insane, all the little different bulbs, that's why I go the five finger discount method. I'm sure somebody could post up (like antichrist) where to buy the bulbs....rovahfarm has some.

I don't even listen to the radio since I stripped my interior out. I like listening to the motor, tc and XPC's, it's like cruise control.