Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

04 DII Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well. Tuesday has come and gone, and the Rover isn't coming home. The shop replaced what we all thought was a faulty t-stat, flushed the system, and added a bottle of Water Wetter. The Rover is still over heating at this point, and that work only helped slightly. We have a newish water pump (5k), new t-stat (again), new hoses, new sensors, new fan clutch, new ac condenser fan, and new radiator.

The shop said it seems like it's not dissipating heat like it should, and they think it "might" be the radiator. The radiator was replaced with an Nissens PCC000710G per recommendation from Lucky 8, and that should have been for the SAI models.

We didn't have any heating issues on our old leaky engine that we just swapped out. Now with all new parts we can't keep this thing cool. At this point our trip is on the verge of being cancelled since this issue isn't getting any better. We have a very large investment in the Rover, and I can't understand what else could be going on.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Mstudt, I replied on another thread as your problem is similar to what I went through.
If you don't overheat at idle or on level grade, take a look at the transmission. a hot transmission will cause an engine to run hot quickly.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Mstudt, I replied on another thread as your problem is similar to what I went through.
If you don't overheat at idle or on level grade, take a look at the transmission. a hot transmission will cause an engine to run hot quickly.
Unfortunately it's heating up at idle, and on level grade.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Are the hoses rock hard/over pressurized?

I've used Nissens radiators without issue(one I installed had a leak but was immediately replaced under warranty)

Old 06-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
Are the hoses rock hard/over pressurized?

I've used Nissens radiators without issue(one I installed had a leak but was immediately replaced under warranty)
Not to my knowledge. When the Rover was in my hands the hoses were still soft/pliable every time I checked them out. I highly doubt this is a radiator issue.

With my luck this is will a temp sensor issue, or something simple like that. Either way I'm determined to get this issue resolved.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Sounds like you did get it figured out in the other thread. I should have specified rock hard when running at operating temp.

means there is steam in the system.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
Sounds like you did get it figured out in the other thread. I should have specified rock hard when running at operating temp.

means there is steam in the system.
I don't think they were rock hard then either. I've messed with the hose both when hot and cold, and don't recall them being solid.

I do think we have it figured. Someone had mentioned the water pump before, but I never gave it much thought. Then I started doing some research on how everything works, and then it started to come together. Then once I wrote out a time line of events it really made sense.

At this point the water pump fan combination is the likely cause.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Just wondering, did you ever set out on your adventure...or did the rover dash them?

Brian.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I think if i remember rightly, they were leaving the Rover behind and taking a different vehicle instead.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (01-11-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

That's a shame, go through all of that...and not use the vehicle intended.

That sucks.

Brian.

Quick Reply: 04 DII Build Thread