Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

04 DII Build Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Slight update, but nothing too important. We had the Rover shipped to Oregon recently, and it arrived a couple weeks ago. We now a big driveway, and 2 car garage to work on it.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
Slight update, but nothing too important. We had the Rover shipped to Oregon recently, and it arrived a couple weeks ago. We now a big driveway, and 2 car garage to work on it.

your car is a big inspiration for me! Really love the wheels and that bumper! Really love the flashlight and fire extinguisher as well! Hope mine gets to this point!

The following users liked this post:
Mstudt (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Blanco.se7
your car is a big inspiration for me! Really love the wheels and that bumper! Really love the flashlight and fire extinguisher as well! Hope mine gets to this point!
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about things I've done.

Mike

Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Almost four months after having the Rover delivered to Oregon I was able to start working on it. I've been spending so much time remodeling our house since buying it in October that I haven't spent a single minute on the Rover until this past weekend.

Most of you know about the ongoing issues around the high temps, and the multiple things we've tried to fix it. After replacing the t-stat 3 times, and Airlifting the cooling system with no success we moved on. This weekend I was able to pull all the original tubing off the rover, and removed the OEM fan. I was able to mock up all the new tubing with the added t-stat housing. I also added an aluminum body before the t-stat that holds the sending unit for an addition temp gauge, peck **** valve, and sight glass. I still need to cut the upper fan shroud, modify the new t-stat, and put everything back together. The goal is to have it up and running by the end of the week, and license it in Oregon next week.

Out with the old

In with the new

I also have a bunch of other items to take care of due to this sitting for the last couple years. Both batteries are completely dead, and need to be exchanged under warranty. I need to redo some of the wiring, and install some items that were removed to install in our 4runner. I also plan on adding a solar panel to help with charging the battery since this won't be driven very much.

Mike

Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Welp, so much for the new inline stat. I'm completely confused/stumped at this point.

New auxiliary gauge installed just before the new stat, and that gauge reads 140. While the computer was reading 206, and that was after about 4 minutes at idle. The hose before the start was not to the touch, and after the start was cool. They hose at the bottom of the radiator was even cooler.

Nothing blocking/clogging the radiator, hoses, or anything else. Thermostat was installed in the correct direct, and with the correct orientation. I'm really beginning to wonder if there's something else going on at this point.

Last edited by Mstudt; 05-06-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Have you checked the new thermostat for opening temp in boiling water? Never know until you know. That seems to be where the hold up is unless the coolant temp was actually 140, obviously the thermostat wouldn't be open. What was your ambient air temp when you ran it for "four minutes at idle"? Unless I put a load on the motor my temp isn't even half way to full temp after four minutes at 55*F.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:11 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

At this point I think a small investment in an IR temp reader is a good idea in order to verify what which reading is correct.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Have you checked the new thermostat for opening temp in boiling water? Never know until you know. That seems to be where the hold up is unless the coolant temp was actually 140, obviously the thermostat wouldn't be open. What was your ambient air temp when you ran it for "four minutes at idle"? Unless I put a load on the motor my temp isn't even half way to full temp after four minutes at 55*F.
I plan on pulling the thermostat out to check it in boiling water next, but I don't think it's the issue. Plus, is it even possible that I have such bad luck that 5 stat's in a row were all bad?

The air temp outside was around 70, and in sure in the garage where it's parked was a bit cooler. So by no means was it hot outside. I'm really beginning to think that I have another issue going on with a sensor or maybe a wire that's shorted out. The hose post thermostat was cool to the touch, but did start to warm up just as we shut the Rover off. I suspect this was the termostat starting to opening since the temp was reaching 160* on the new gauge.

I'll be able to tell a lot more tomorrow when I use the IR scanner on it. I plan on getting readings from all hoses, radiator, and outlet tube from the plenum. I'm also starting to dig into the secondary air to see if this could be causing an issue. My Rover have a temp sensor in the plenum, and in the bottom of the radiator. I'm wondering if there's an issue with one of the sensors now.

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
At this point I think a small investment in an IR temp reader is a good idea in order to verify what which reading is correct.
I should have done it a long time ago!

Mike

Old 05-06-2019, 10:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
I plan on pulling the thermostat out to check it in boiling water next, but I don't think it's the issue. Plus, is it even possible that I have such bad luck that 5 stat's in a row were all bad?
So you've had four in a row that produced the same results as this last attempt? Something is amiss. Your still trying.......and it's a Rover. What's the temp rating of the current Tstat?

Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
So you've had four in a row that produced the same results as this last attempt? Something is amiss. Your still trying.......and it's a Rover. What's the temp rating of the current Tstat?
I've had 2 OEM 180* soft springs, 1 Motorad 180*, and now an inline 180*. At first I thought maybe it was bad luck, but I don't think anyone has this bad of luck! I need to check the sensors, and the connectors going to them to see if that's the issue.

The engine swap was good, and the Rover ran great for about 800 miles. Then something happened, and it's been happening ever since. I can tell you the cooling system is holding pressure just fine, and I have zero coolant loss. I've flushed the engine so I know there are no blocks. I've also flushed the radiator too, and I have good heat inside. No blocks in any of the hose, new water pump, belts, belts in correct orientation, and plenty of tension on it.

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 DII Build Thread