Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

04 DII Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The wife came home last night and told me the heater wasn't putting out much heat. I did some digging around and found some information on checking the coolant level. Low and behold the coolant was pretty at cold. I added some more Dex-Cool and went through the bleeding process. About 5 minutes later there's heat again. I must say it was pretty easy to bleed, but man is hard to find good information on Rovers. Everybody seems to have a different opinion, and there is no conclusive evidence for anything. This has to be the most annoying thing about Rover forums. Information is so scattered, and not very complete. The 4runner forum I'm on has boat loads of information, and everything you could ever want to know can be found in about 20 seconds of searching. Just my rant, but the heat is fixed.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

where did the coolant go? it had to go somewhere. why are you still using Dexcool ?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
where did the coolant go? it had to go somewhere. why are you still using Dexcool ?
Coolant doesn't stick around forever, and things like that don't get filled in cars with poor previous owners. The coolant was low when we bought it about 4 months ago. I noticed it when I was putting the lift on, and didn't take care of it then. It slipped my mind until the other day when I had to address the heat issues. The coolant hadn't changed in the 4 months that we've had it. So the coolant didn't go anywhere. I'm using Dexcool since that's what was in there, and I'm not about to start mixing coolants. Plus, if dexcool weren't recommended they wouldn't have put it in the manual. Not to mention that everything I've read all said to use Dexcool as well.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Baja

coolant does stick around for ever unless its leaking.
and before you become a wise *** you may want to do a search on why you are the only one still using dexcool and what happens when you allow it to mix with air.

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...94.fvEMw68aiHs

Last edited by drowssap; 11-20-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling

coolant does stick around for ever unless its leaking.
and before you become a wise *** you may want to do a search on why you are the only one still using dexcool and what happens when you allow it to mix with air.
I'm a little lost here on the wise *** part? Maybe you're just mistaking my keyboard tone vs my normal dick personality. It's just the way I am.

I've search a couple hours, and every single thread I came across all said to use Dexcool. Either way, the coolant hasn't gone anywhere. It could have been leaking before I bought, and I'm sure that was the case. I pay close attention to my cars, and fix things when they arise (aside from adding more coolant). This are is only going to be driven for about 4 more weeks, and then it'll be parked until August. When we get back from our 7 month vacation I plan on flushing all the fluids, and I can swap out the Dexcool at that point. If I had honestly know about the Dexcool issues I would have flushed the entire coolant system.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Baja

No my mistake good luck with the build.
Originally Posted by Mstudt
I'm a little lost here on the wise *** part? Maybe you're just mistaking my keyboard tone vs my normal dick personality. It's just the way I am.

I've search a couple hours, and every single thread I came across all said to use Dexcool. Either way, the coolant hasn't gone anywhere. It could have been leaking before I bought, and I'm sure that was the case. I pay close attention to my cars, and fix things when they arise (aside from adding more coolant). This are is only going to be driven for about 4 more weeks, and then it'll be parked until August. When we get back from our 7 month vacation I plan on flushing all the fluids, and I can swap out the Dexcool at that point. If I had honestly know about the Dexcool issues I would have flushed the entire coolant system.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling

No my mistake good luck with the build.
Karma's a bitch!

Crawled under the Rover over the weekend after a trip to my in-laws. I had to run a wire harness from the engine compartment to the cab and notice the coolant was low. Check all the hoses, radiator, connections, and everything looked good. Didn't see any residue, coolant, or anything. I crawled under it, and the underside was covered in coolant. The steering linkage, axle, oil pan, and further back. I'm leaning toward the water pump leaking at this point. I'm going to pressure test the system tonight when I get home.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling

No need to even check the pressure. I crawled under it, and I can see where it's leaking from. Time to order a new pump.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Got the new water pump in over the weekend, and the coolant has been at a constant level since. This weekend I plan on changing the oil, oil filter, air filter, and changing the spark plugs.

I'm hoping to get my HDPE for the rear door in within the next week so I can get that done before the end of the year.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:49 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Rack Mounts?

Originally Posted by wkburns
I did a two inch lift as well. Plenty for all I do. Next comes all the other accessories lol..

This rack is sick.. I am just learning to weld, however the person teaching me offered to help me build a rack. I was going to go with the full style however bending the steel tubing may be difficult.

What rack mounts did you uses to attach your basket. Did you make this basket? If so, do you have any plans?

Looking good!

The following users liked this post:
Buddy Lee (08-09-2015)

Quick Reply: 04 DII Build Thread