Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

expedition/ camping trailer build

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I looked at a lot of the small cargo trailers with plywood sides and aluminum skin but I was to concerned about durability off road , plus price and useable space since its mostly verticle space

I am pretty confident this is animal proof and the main body's probly crush proof and if it rolled would not show any significant damage, the aluminum I can't say the same, that tounge box is huge so there's always the battery option , solar panel etc. , I even considered a potable water tank mounted in the frame with a 12v pump so sky's the limit

Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Been a while since i touched on this subject with so many irons in the fire and the baby ocupying most of my time

We plan to try and start coming to events again this year with the baby turning 2 so that means more gear

What my thought process is , i will weld tabs to the trailer sides at the top all 4 corners , bolt in square tube cross bars and use something similar to this shelving i got from a friend that scraps, looks like its from walmart or homedepot type shelves so super strong and plenty of places to tie down this way i can use pelicans or this roof top clam i got free to store overflow needs for baby and if i take other family kids

I figure the top storage for soft items like sleeping bags beds clothes etc so all the heavier stays low in the trailer for less tip ability i will post more pics when i eventualy get working on this and figure it out , sometime in spring i hope

Old 02-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOM R
Been a while since i touched on this subject with so many irons in the fire and the baby ocupying most of my time

We plan to try and start coming to events again this year with the baby turning 2 so that means more gear

What my thought process is , i will weld tabs to the trailer sides at the top all 4 corners , bolt in square tube cross bars and use something similar to this shelving i got from a friend that scraps, looks like its from walmart or homedepot type shelves so super strong and plenty of places to tie down this way i can use pelicans or this roof top clam i got free to store overflow needs for baby and if i take other family kids

I figure the top storage for soft items like sleeping bags beds clothes etc so all the heavier stays low in the trailer for less tip ability i will post more pics when i eventualy get working on this and figure it out , sometime in spring i hope

I haven't been posting her OR CT any here lately. We took our lr3 to Colorado to look for some property a while back and had a blast. Love the trailer!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

So fast forward, been sitting several years unused, i was prepping for our clubs annual, first time out in 3 years, i noticed that the hf axle is actualy bowed down aka bent guess i overloaded it

found a place on ebay has new dexter axles 2200# $ 129 shipped with hubs and perchrs welded where i want, also has brake mounts so i can add brakes later

now trailer was great but coming back i had no water on board and guess it made me to lite , kept grtting her bouncing at hi way speed, slow down stop bouncing so idk

maybe i need to figure out some shocks

Old 06-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

So fast forward, been sitting several years unused, i was prepping for our clubs annual, first time out in 3 years, i noticed that the hf axle is actualy bowed down aka bent guess i overloaded it

found a place on ebay has new dexter axles 2200# $ 129 shipped with hubs and perchrs welded where i want, also has brake mounts so i can add brakes later

now trailer was great but coming back i had no water on board and guess it made me to lite , kept grtting her bouncing at hi way speed, slow down stop bouncing so idk

maybe i need to figure out some shocks

Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

It's possible.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Mudding

So Tom!.... We also took our lr3 to Colorado in December to look for land as well! We're going again July 8 for a week and plan to do some kayaking as well. We're looking south central somewhere. San Luis valley area mainly.

I haven't been posting here or the other place either.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Mudding

Hey wait I responded to myself😂😂😂😂

Old 06-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Nice work!