Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Her name is Majesty

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Why can’t you just call the guys at Lucky 8 and get an answer to these questions? Wheels should be this difficult my god. If they won’t respond call Eric or Dave over at Atlantic British. I swear those guys have been there for 40 years and they have always answered any technical questions I’ve had even if I didn’t order anything.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

My money is on Julian not paying attention when he installed the wheels/nuts, and he didn't center the lug nuts in the wheel stud holes.

Originally Posted by stillruns
Why can’t you just call the guys at Lucky 8 and get an answer to these questions? Wheels should be this difficult my god. If they won’t respond call Eric or Dave over at Atlantic British. I swear those guys have been there for 40 years and they have always answered any technical questions I’ve had even if I didn’t order anything.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:33 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Eric of Lucky 8 does not appear to be very knowledgeable with regards to this application. Took him over a week to respond to my email and calls and his response did not comfort me. Said he went through all his archives in regards to which lugs nuts most of his customers ordered for their TF steel wheels and concluded that because no one else had any trouble with these lugs and wheels that all is well. Then he said both lug nut types are compatible.

When I first purchase the wheels and lugs I spoke to Mike and specifically asked for the lugs that are compatible with the center caps. Lucky 8 sent the wrong type lugs. I was not aware that the center caps were not compatible with the lugs until the tire shop installed them. Fast forward a week when I returned to the tire shop for a second balancing. I actually called lucky 8 back and had him speak directly to the store manager. They explained to him why they believe the wheels are damaged and why they believe the bigger lugs are not for those wheels. The I spoke to Eric again who politely offered to send me a return label for one of the sets of lug nuts and that he would reimburse me for them. Told him I would think it over. Imagine my surprise earlier this week when I called lucky 8 back and told them I shipped back the lug nuts myself and that I did not want a refund for the lugs but rather to use it as a store credit towards the new wheels. Collen told me he had to go speak to Eric then he would call me back. 10 minutes later Collen calls me back and was like "yeah our policy says we cant accept returns on lugs nuts, I spoke to Eric and he said we cant give you a store credit for the extra lugs your purchased". I was like "really? The phone call was recorded so please go back and retrieve the recoding and hear it for yourself!".

I've never had such a bad experience with a merchant before. Even if the wheels are not damaged. The fact that they on 2 occasions messed up my order in the span of 3 weeks ish is absurd. First the wrong lugs then the missing shocks. And how long it took Eric to get back in touch with me. He was also quick to say that LR specification torque for the alloy lugs was incorrect for steel wheels but failed to mention what the correct torque setting is for tf steel wheels.

Last edited by TRIARII; 07-04-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TRIARII
He suggested ANR4851 which are the bigger lugs. When I got those in the mail I installed them myself and was excited because now I could get the center caps installed to. Ever since my wheels have been causing the steering wheel to vibrate at 45 and 65 mph respectively. That's when i decided to bring the truck back to Town Fair Tire to have the wheels checked and rebalanced. They told me that the ANR4851 lugs are too big and are chewing the metal on the steel wheels.
Here is your problem. When YOU mounted your wheels with the ANR4851 it should have been VERY clear if there was a problem or not. The nuts taper either fit in the hole, or it didn't. Lucky8 may bot have run into this issue before because, honestly, not that many people run $80 per wheel nut covers on their $97 steel wheels. But again, it should have been very obvious when you installed them if there was a problem or not.

I've read your posts for years, and it feels like a daytime soap opera. You seem to have this rain cloud permanently over your head. At some point you have to wonder if its really everybody else that keeps messing up, or if its you??

Take the ANR4851 and rest it in the lug hole. Take and post a pic.
Take the smaller lug nut and rest it in the lug hole. Take and post a pic.
To be honest I'm not sure how you got those smaller lug nuts. I wonder what their application is for, maybe the TF alloy wheels? Rovers North, AB, and Lucky 8 all list ANR4851 as the nuts needed for steel wheels. I do not even see any other options listed on their website.

Last edited by fishEH; 07-05-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:45 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Your fierce loyalty to lucky 8 speaks novels about you. Fact is they messed up 2 of my orders in the past 3 weeks. I have the receipts to prove it. Yes their website listing for the steel wheels does indicate that these tf steel wheels require the ANR4851 lug nuts. Yes I asked Mike to include the correct lug nuts when I placed the order for the wheels and unfortunately he sent me the smaller TF152NUTBLACK lugs instead. I had to pay for the second correct set of lug nuts despite their mistake. Yes I purchased a $650 suspension lift kit from Mike and yes I recieved 4 coils but unfortunately only 2 of the 4 shocks were shipped. This time Mike sent the other 2 items at their expense.

Why did they send me the wrong lugs? Probably a mistake. But fact is I have a email from presumably Eric indicating that the smaller lugs are also compatible with these wheels be it a basic lug as he claimed. So I have little or no confidence in their sales team. As for the wheels I did centered the wheels as best as I could do, with the help from a friend. I cannot guarantee that they are machine precision centered but they do look centered. The vibrations are still apparent but now only at 45 mph. The lugs are larger than the lug holes on the wheels therefore they do not go in or sit inside the lug holes of the wheels. If you look closely at the pictures you will see what I mean. The studs also do not go all the way through the lugs which is concerning.

The wheels were balanced with the weights installed on the inside of the wheels rather than the outside which is more common practice. Maybe this is part or the problem? Maybe the factory wheel hub studs are too short for these lug nuts? Maybe the powder coating somehow changed the properties of the wheels? Maybe Town Fair Tire did the first installation incorrectly? Maybe the added weight of the center caps is causing the wheels to be out of balance? Maybe I did not center the wheels good enough when I switched out the smaller lugs for the ANR4851? No one can say. But the fact is, i just pulled them off again yesterday, inspected all the wheels and carefully reinstalled them and did my best to center the wheels, with the help of a friend. If these lug centric wheels require machine precision perfection then i say the hell with these wheels. Should not be this difficult to install a dam wheel and lug nuts.

Fisheh: you seem to have ALL the answers and your like a Doctor Phil. You can tell me all my problems and offer useful solutions. So my friend please advise me on how YOU install your lug centric wheels and lug nuts. Perhaps you have a handy technique that ensures perfect centering every time? Please upload some pics and instructions on how you do it. Thanks so much in advance for your positive attitude and your willingness to dedicate your time to help fellow LR owners keep their trucks running smoothly. You rock.

Julian

Last edited by TRIARII; 07-05-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Fisheh: you seem to have ALL the answers and your like a Doctor Phil. You can tell me all my problems and offer useful solutions. So my friend please advise me on how YOU install your lug centric wheels and lug nuts. Perhaps you have a handy technique that ensures perfect centering every time? Please upload some pics and instructions on how you do it. Thanks so much in advance for your positive attitude and your willingness to dedicate your time to help fellow LR owners keep their trucks running smoothly. You rock.
I mentioned much earlier in this thread exactly how I centered the lug centric aftermarket alloy wheels on my two D2’s with zero vibes or issues.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts
Old 07-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I am not trying to pile on but, I would like to ask a couple question

1. Why did you go with steel wheels?
2. After paying for the powder coating, how come you were not pissed to see the scratches on the wheels from the socket?

Old 07-05-2019, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Damn good movie stillruns!

Old 07-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by friday night disco
i am not trying to pile on but, i would like to ask a couple question

1. Why did you go with steel wheels?
2. After paying for the powder coating, how come you were not pissed to see the scratches on the wheels from the socket?
100%!!!!! 🤣🤣

Quick Reply: Her name is Majesty