Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Her name is Majesty

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Okay, you don't have the smaller lug nuts anymore. So, l've gone to the three different major vendors, and yes they all sell a similar rim...but...rovers north "seems" to come with a smaller diameter tapered lug (similar to your originals)...whereas the other two vendors recommend the larger. Me, and going from pictures alone here, would say the smaller ones recommended by rovers north "look" to be correct.

Now, the million dollar question...are the rims any good? Judging by the picture, it looks as though 1/5 of the rim surface has been compromised (by the larger lug nuts cutting their own taper).

Me, and this is just me (full disclaimer)...so do what you feel is right for you...l'd get the smaller lug nuts back from lucky 8 and install them, being sure that the lug nuts are centered correctly in each hole and rim is located perfectly on lug nut taper, tighting each one in small increments until snug. Then torque to spec...and drive it for a few miles, recheck torque (but don't increase torque or over tighten them thinking that is going to help matters...just check them)...then test drive again. Steel rims are extremely strong...so they may be alright. But again...use extreme caution and care if you decide to do it like l would.

Good luck.

Brian.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

You can get a conical seat 14x1.5 lug nut anywhere. Auto Zone, Oreilly’s, Discount Tire, or any decent tire shop. 14x1.5 is a common size & conical seat is also the most commonly used.

Whenever I give advice on here it’s not just oh do this & you’ll be good. I go by facts, proven fixes, and my “friends” aren’t “friends” of “friends” they’re my good direct friends that I’ve known since I was 15 years old, and each of them have 25+ years as LR Master Techs under each of their belts. They’ve seen it all over the years & when I asked them a question on your behalf to try and help you I wasn’t getting an “opinion” I was getting a direct answer from both of them on the rim issue (a better more reliable answer vs Lucky8 or TF IMHO)... They said they’ve seen the smaller lugs & the OEM Alloy wheel lugs used. One then sent me a pic of his trail D2 with custom steel wheels with added beadlocks with OEM lug nuts and zero issues.

If I don’t know the answer to someone’s question I will not just answer it. I’ll either let other folks answer it or if it’s a unique issue I’ll ask my LR Master Tech’s and then respond.

You keep going on & on about the P/N for these lug nuts and that is NEVER going to solve the issue. The smaller lugs look to me like typical common conical seat lug nuts. Sometimes if you shop around you can find them with larger heads on them say 3/4 or 13/16. That could be all you needed for the center caps to have worked.

However it looks like the second set of Lug Nuts were installed in such a way that the rim wasn’t centered on the studs (not hard at all to do) and that combined with driving on them has now damaged the holes.

I would either grab another set of 16inch OEM wheels or try the AB Wheels or Pro Comps. Not sure you’ll get to use the LR center caps but you could get steel wheels.

Or try Deputy’s advice & see how the smaller lugs (go buy some 14x1.5 Gorilla brand lug nuts locally) work with the rims. You might be able to save them. However do at your own risk as it could be a major safety issue for a D/D vs trail truck.

Last edited by Best4x4; 07-07-2019 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I looked up the Pro Comp steel wheels last night & I didn’t find any 5x120 rims listed anymore. I found some 5x6.5 black alloy’s for a D1 though.

When I got the steel wheels from AB years ago (I probably owned them for 5 years before I just sold them), I remember it saying in red letters down under the rim description that they were not compatible with the LR center caps. I never even thought about as I had another center cap I was going to use at the time. I do remember looking at the lug nuts & thinking to myself dang those are tiny vs the OEM LR lug nuts. Then they sat for 5 years until I got my project XD and I’d rather use the rim $$$ toward the XD.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Yeah this isn't rocket science here. Nuts either fit or they don't. Use the ones that fit.
Too bad in your haste you already shipped back the smaller ones.
My guess is Terrafirma made weird wheels.
The ANR4851 nuts probably fit every other steel wheel for a D2. Did you notice that Terrafirma doesn't sell or specify which nuts to use on their website?? They make a lot of stuff, but they're not always the sharpest tools in the shed.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:02 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Yeah this isn't rocket science here. Nuts either fit or they don't. Use the ones that fit.
Too bad in your haste you already shipped back the smaller ones.
My guess is Terrafirma made weird wheels.
The ANR4851 nuts probably fit every other steel wheel for a D2. Did you notice that Terrafirma doesn't sell or specify which nuts to use on their website?? They make a lot of stuff, but they're not always the sharpest tools in the shed.

In any case I would never intentionally put something on my truck that would compromise the safe operation of the vehicle. I did what I believed to be the right course of action; based on the little information I had available at the time. Terrafirma has not responded at all and I do not agree with how lucky 8 handled everything.

I need to decide if I want to spend another $300 on 4 more tf steel wheels or save up my $$$$ and buy a set of 5 steel wheels of a different brand and try my luck with those. I'd like to keep using steel wheels though. Is there any tool out there that can be used to insure perfect centering of the lug centric wheels everytime you mount the wheels? Not sure if it's something I should contact a fabricator shop for or if there is already something on the market.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

There's no tool to my knowledge that centers the rim on the hub or lugnut. It isn't necessary...because...if you use the right lugnut and install them properly...the taper of the lugnut centers the rim on the stud. Like mentioned...this is not rocket science...folks have been putting on tires/rims for a century now...without any specially made, fabracated tool. The right parts and knowledge take care of the wrong problems.

If you are not happy with these damaged rims, scrap them and move on.

Brian.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I feel like your wheels are salvageable. If it were me, I would try. I'd take a razor blade and scrape off and sharp edges. Mount the wheels with the smaller lug nuts and have the tires rebalance.
AND WIPE ALL THAT SCHMOO OFF YOUR WHEELS!!! You don't need every single surface completely slathered in antiseize!!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 PM
TReK
Default Update: 7/14/19

I'm still on the hunt for replacement wheels. Been in contact with a seller in the UK so hopefully we can agree on a deal. Can anyone confirm if RRC114560 steel wheels are hub centric?

In the mean time I've been checking off other things on the to do list. Got the factory suspension changed out. I went with a Terrafirma HD 3" lift with TF 4 way adjustable shocks.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

There probably ist any steel wheel that will be hubcentric

Lift looks good! I have the same shocks and they have been amazing so far..!

Old 07-14-2019, 10:49 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Saturnine
There probably ist any steel wheel that will be hubcentric

Lift looks good! I have the same shocks and they have been amazing so far..!

I ask because RRC114560 wheels are a genuine factory lr wheel. Since they were vehicle specific maybe they are hub centric. Not sure though.

The suspension upgrade was needed. Ever since I swapped out the alloys my front driver wheel been rubbing aginst washer fluid reservoir during sharp cornering.

Quick Reply: Her name is Majesty