Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sickws6
Nice build thread man just went through the entire thing! Good job! I have to agree with most of the comments on the price of the engine however, pretty steep! Just roll with it!

Thank you mate. Agreed I'm paying alot for the engine and I'm investing tons into this vehicle. Rest assured though that $6,500 for a Turner engine from England is much cheaper than a JE Robinson remanufactured engine here in the states. They quoted me over $12,000!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Thank you mate. Agreed I'm paying alot for the engine and I'm investing tons into this vehicle. Rest assured though that $6,500 for a Turner engine from England is much cheaper than a JE Robinson remanufactured engine here in the states. They quoted me over $12,000!
My god! that is crazy! I paid 6000 for my 04 DII with 100k on her. lol runs like a top.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

J E Robinson get $6500 US just for a short block. crazy

Old 08-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That is beyond crazy..
Good luck with you engine build TRIARII. Turner is good stuff.

David Frankel

Old 08-05-2015, 03:52 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
That is beyond crazy..
Good luck with you engine build TRIARII. Turner is good stuff.

David Frankel
Thank you. Have you ever done business with them before? I give them kudos for their patience with all the questions I've asked them....

So I believe I owe just over $1,000 however due to complications with storage space and shipping I've decided it would be best not to send my secondary heads to Turner for the gasflow upgrade. Doing so would require my mechanic to bring my Rover into his shop, tear the heads off, ship them and wait a few weeks until the heads and block ship to his shop. In the mean time my rover would be taking up space in a very busy shop and he would not be able to move it. Soive decided to buy the block with everything else including the performance camshaft and have it shipped to his shop where it can be put aside until we are ready. I'll have him send my heads to a trusted machine shop.

On another note I've learned that it is VERY difficult to communicate and negotiate with two businesses, one in England and the other in New Hampshire all while I myself am working in Alaska. Its been such a pain in the ***. But it will be worth it.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Why not buy a set of used heads to send over there? Used heads are what, 100?

Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
Why not buy a set of used heads to send over there? Used heads are what, 100?
My mechanic pointed out that the cost to ship my heads (or any heads for that matter) to England to be machined, and fitted to the block along with the head gaskets is to costly and will take more time than if I were to have the Turner blocked shipped as is without heads, then have a local machine shop do the same work on the heads as Turner but for $380 and we would not have to wait several weeks for shipping heads to England's than the block to the US. Since the Turner block is cleaned and all prepp and exposed my mechanic can do the head gasket job plus fit the heads for $250 plus another $1,300+ to swap the blocks. All the way around it just makes sense and get my new block sooner.

Keep in mind that the gasflow option is an additional $$$$ option. Even if you send a used set of secondary heads that you bought for $100 plus shipping, factor in over a grand for Turner to machine the heads plus install the head gaskets and heads to the block......

Last edited by TRIARII; 08-05-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Personally I would bite the bullet and have Turner supply the Gasflow modified heads and have them ship the entire motor complete. You already have a significant investment and you might as well have them do it right and according to their Specs. Then if you ever have any issue, it is all Turner and not some back shop mechanic modified head issue. And you get the benefit of the extra 22hp.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Thank you. Have you ever done business with them before?

On another note I've learned that it is VERY difficult to communicate and negotiate with two businesses, one in England and the other in New Hampshire all while I myself am working in Alaska. Its been such a pain in the ***. But it will be worth it.
Nope, I decided to keep my motor US bound with Steve Johnson at Cannibal. My interest in this is purely to see how this works out for you. Before and after the sale.
To the second point again all the more reason to let Turner do the heads as well. If there ever is any issue then there is one throat to choke not 2

Old 08-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm not sure how much shipping would be, probably quite a bit, but I've shipped stuff from England a few times, and it's amazingly fast, like 4 days with fedex. Heads, you'd probably want to ship with DHL or some other freight just because of the weight.

But as long as whoever is rebuilding and installing the heads for you will give you some sort of warranty, I'd probably stick with the route you are going.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build