Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015 | 10:42 AM
Camel Trophy

IMO you've got $6000 into a motor that when something goes wrong Turner is going to point to the heads and say "not our problem".

Old 08-06-2015 | 11:14 AM
Baja

turner has sold quite a few short block and i have not read of any real problems with them to speak.

So i don't know why yours would be any different any other short block they sell, i'm sure most people do not ship their heads to turner to be worked on.

the majority of people probably do exactly like you are thinking, they have there heads done locally and have turner do the short block.

Turner does not run any type of sealant in the block, they repair them or dont use them, so it is not like you will be missing out on anything. like well sealant.

Last edited by drowssap; 08-11-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2015 | 01:18 PM
|
TReK

Valid points. What I really wanted to do was ship my engine block to Turner and have them work their magic on everything. But Turner assured me that although they can arrange for affordable shipment if their blocks to me, that I would be responsible for setting up shipping for my block to them, and that it would prove to be to expensive.

As for the gasflow heads. Well with the salmon season almost over and the block nearly paid off and ready for shipment to my mechanics shop, Im running out of money so if I can save a grand on the heads than unfoertunatly I have to do that. Furthermore I still have another $4,500 I intend on spending on other things for my truck. Like I said I'm updating the complete cooling system, engine mounts, adding a arb safari bumper, replacing the rear wheel hubs, upgrade to ebc green stuff brake pads, jerry cans, GPS, sat phone rental, insurance and other things I'll need for the big trip and that's not counting the labor to have my mechanic do most of the work while I'm out of state. Got a long way to go in a short time.

Seems like I'll never get there, seems like I never be ready to embark on the great trip but in the end its worth it because I love my Rover.

Turner kicks *** by the way. Frida rocks.

Old 08-06-2015 | 01:25 PM
Camel Trophy

You should read this thread: Alaska and back???? - DiscoWeb Message Boards

Then realize you're really overthinking and overspending.

Old 08-07-2015 | 05:06 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
You should read this thread: Alaska and back???? - DiscoWeb Message Boards

Then realize you're really overthinking and overspending.
I'm indeed spending to much on this vehicle; but then again don't most overland enthusiasts overspend on maintenance, accessories, modifications, gear, food, supplies and gas for their expedition vehicles? Still further I wonder how much some of you die hard off road folks have paid for all the extreme modifications on your rigs?

This first trip will be a basic road trip on pavement but it will also be my first great adventure. I'll be able to figure out what things work and what thinks need fine tuning as far as setup, packing, storage, supplies etc. I'm already thinking about my next trip which hopefully will be the Arctic Circle. I'd like to replicate a portion of the Expedition Overland Alaska segment and visit all those awesome places. Take my time, hit some trails, camp, cook, take pics and have a blast exploring the last frontier. I'll probably be alone in most all these adventure so I want to ensure that everything works out. I want confidence and peace of mind. I want to focus on the landscapes and the drive and focus much less on a old engine with a ticking or a faulty driveshaft or or wheel bearings etc. I'm a very impatient person though so I guess that is the first lesson I need. Some overland enthusiasts plan and prep for over a year for expeditions so I should stop trying to rush **** and just focus on the build for now. When I'm ready to embark on the trip I'll be fully prepared.

My Turner engine will be paid I'm full Friday August 14th but the folks at Turner will be on vacation until September 1st so my block won't ship out until the 1st or the 2nd. Once it is delivered to my mechanics shop I'll have him take some pictures though our plan is not to install it until Spring as I'm gonna be working a second season up here in AK to raise more money for the next stage of the build for the trip. Thanks all for the support.

Old 08-08-2015 | 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I'm indeed spending to much on this vehicle; but then again don't most overland enthusiasts overspend on maintenance, accessories, modifications, gear, food, supplies and gas for their expedition vehicles? Still further I wonder how much some of you die hard off road folks have paid for all the extreme modifications on your rigs? .
Sometimes you just don't want to think about this ..or remember. You can do it on a lower cost budget than me, but to get it done timely and right the first time with top of the line parts, I found out to get my truck the way I wanted it and most importantly for me, to be 100% confident in it's ability and durability, it cost more than I will ever admit to.

It is endless, so my advice is decide how far you want to go and decide if spending that amount x another 10- 15% min is worth it to you.

Old 08-08-2015 | 03:44 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
Sometimes you just don't want to think about this ..or remember. You can do it on a lower cost budget than me, but to get it done timely and right the first time with top of the line parts, I found out to get my truck the way I wanted it and most importantly for me, to be 100% confident in it's ability and durability, it cost more than I will ever admit to.

It is endless, so my advice is decide how far you want to go and decide if spending that amount x another 10- 15% min is worth it to you.

I like your way of thinking and honestly Im kinda the same way. Im extremely OCD about what parts I buy for my truck, who I buy them from, where those parts were made and Im very weary of who else may be working on my truck. I over think many aspects of my truck and as a result (like you) I over spend to ensure that I have a reliable fully capable truck. I want to turn my attention about from reliability issues and focus more on the adventure aspect and the places this vehicle will allow me to explore.

The engine and the drive shaft were the big problems on this model and with both now out of the way I should be set. Sure the 3 amigos will always be in the back of my mind but with my braking system about 90% new and once I get the rear wheel hubs and ABS sensors replaced I should bet set for awhile. If the shutter valve things ****s the bed then Ill fix it.

Turning our attention away from the spending aspect of my truck, I think anyone who says you should sell your Land Rover because its a money pit and go buy a Toyota Land Cruiser is crazy. Older 90's-00's Land Cruisers are selling for between $10,000-$20,000, the LC appears to retain its value exceptionally well, even with over 200k Ive seen them sell for 3 times more than a typical D2. Ive never owned a LC or a Toyota for that matter but I have heard that some of the maintenance is a royal pain in the *** and Ive also heard that parts for the LC are expensive be it less often that you will need to buy replacement parts (supposedly). So heres how I look at my alternative options:

- Buy a older 90's-00's good shape Land Cruiser for around lets say $12,000-$15,000? Update all the maintenance on it than invest $$$$ on roof rack, HD lifted suspension, beefy tires, light bars, performance brakes, communications etc and end up at around maybe say $20,000+ in total investment?

- Buy a new 4Runner. With my credit I can promise that the monthly payments plus full coverage car insurance will be very high, maybe say $800-$1,000 per month for the next 3-5 years? Plus cost of fuel, basic maintenance. Probably would not be able to afford to add any fun accessories and mods until the vehicle was paid off..... and even then there goes another $$$$

- Sell/trade my D2 for another older Rover. Sometimes I get a craving to have a second Rover but that means I would have to start all over with maintenance, especially if it was another D2. EVen if I found a D2 with a clean bill of health and no ticking engine, its probably gonna start ticking the minute I sign the paperwork

Honestly Im not a fan of Japanese vehicles though if I were I would go for the new 4Runner because in my opinion its the second best looking modern day SUV and it still looks like an offroader and has a semi impressive offroad system on board. Im not a fan of any other new vehicle makes or models. Im also not a fan of the new Land Rover model lineup. The Discovery is no longer a "Discovery". The Defender is on its way out the the replacement is pending my approval or disapproval. I like the Discovery 3 for its features but still dont like how it looks. I do like the 3rd generation Range Rover but its to small in the boot and to high profile looking and more likely to be stolen or vandalized. The Discovery 2 is by far my favorite vehicle and model, followed by the Defender 130 Wagon. I love almost everything about it including how it looks. Just wish LR had an extended wheelbase/longer boot option like they do for the Defender.

So there is my justification for investing heavily in my D2. For the longest time I hated the color and was disappointed that my truck does not have ACE but I can live without ACE and after all this time the bonatti grey is starting to lean on me........ So I think its obvious my intentions. I plan on keeping this truck and Im happy to over spend on it because it makes me happy, confident and makes me feel like I can finally go anywhere and do anything I want.

Old 08-10-2015 | 07:38 AM
Baja

unless you plan on putting 1500-2000 into the short block to have it top hatted what good is it to you.?
You have a new top hatted engine that will most likely out last your truck, it defiantly will out last your truck unless you plan on putting $7k into it for a frame swap. or swap the 4.6 it into a range rover.
Get yourself a couple hundred for for the crank and rods and be done with it.

Last edited by drowssap; 08-10-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2015 | 11:40 AM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by drowssap
unless you plan on putting 1500-2000 into the short block to have it top hatted what good is it to you.?
You have a new top hatted engine that will most likely out last your truck, it defiantly will out last your truck unless you plan on putting $7k into it for a frame swap. or swap the 4.6 it into a range rover.
Get yourself a couple hundred for for the crank and rods and be done with it.
Valid points. I'm investing in a frame swap within next year or two.

Old 08-11-2015 | 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Valid points. I'm investing in a frame swap within next year or two.
You need to find u a parts truck with beat motor and good frame...1.5-3k for that.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build