Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

What parts are you going to carry over to the new engine? Should probably be able to save some dimes on that.

I know you gave a good reason not to do the inline thermostat mod. But I still suggest doing it, just with a warmer thermostat.

The factory setup was giving me temperature spikes into the 220's. This was with everything new in the cooling system. Swapped out the 180 tsat twice to no avail.
With the inline mod you can keep the engine from ever seeing 200F. Could go a long way to keeping your head gaskets healthy down the road.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

DR007, did you use only the Motorad 180 thermostat? My temps were still higher than I wanted after installing a Motorad 180 so I switched to the OEM Grey one and temps dropped down to 190 or so. I had a recent issue with higher temps due to the electric fan being seized but that's all better now. I would stay away from the Motorad thermostats. In addition to running hot, the internal gasket in mine was improperly fitted right out of the box so I am very suspect of their quality.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
DR007, did you use only the Motorad 180 thermostat? My temps were still higher than I wanted after installing a Motorad 180 so I switched to the OEM Grey one and temps dropped down to 190 or so. I had a recent issue with higher temps due to the electric fan being seized but that's all better now. I would stay away from the Motorad thermostats. In addition to running hot, the internal gasket in mine was improperly fitted right out of the box so I am very suspect of their quality.
I used both the motorad and genuine 180 and had the same issue. Either they both happened to be bad or the inline mod is masking another issue. Either way it's running great now and runs 183-188.6 all day long. Never would see that out of the LR thermostats.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:29 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
What parts are you going to carry over to the new engine? Should probably be able to save some dimes on that.

I know you gave a good reason not to do the inline thermostat mod. But I still suggest doing it, just with a warmer thermostat.

The factory setup was giving me temperature spikes into the 220's. This was with everything new in the cooling system. Swapped out the 180 tsat twice to no avail.
With the inline mod you can keep the engine from ever seeing 200F. Could go a long way to keeping your head gaskets healthy down the road.
I'll keep the inline in mind should I ever live in a warmer climate again. But for now I think Alaska is the place to be. Over the next few years I want to explore northern Alaska and visit the Arctic Circle. I also can't wait to experience my first Alaskan winter with my Rover. So like I said I don't want my block to get to cold. I've heard it can be hard enough as it is to start your vehicle when the temps drop up here and the fact that pretty much every other vehicle I see here in Seward has a engine block heater .......

Yes maybe one day I can purchase a donor parts truck, however most of the parts I replace are new. Maybe a frame, some extra switches and relays but mechanical parts I prefer new. Still don't have the space for a second vehicle. I'm actually worried should I ever work on a boat or a processing ship I have no idea where I will park my Rover. I will be worried about people breaking in and stealing it or my accessories.

As for my old block. The pullies, cylinder heads, intake manifold, belt, power steering pump, will all be swapped over to the new block. The belt, PS pump and throttle body heater plater have all been replaced recently so might as well keep them. Right now I'm using a used alternator that I sourced when mine **** the bed, it probably has 100k on it and I learned my lesson from when my alt died and will most certainly be buying a new alternator for my new block. Battery is new to so the power system should be fine.....

Im worried about those 2 small electric fans up front behind the grille though. Seems the fuse keeps blowing and I have looked online for replacement fans and have not found a vender that sells new ones. May buy a used pair..... I have not confirmed if they still work or not though.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe this guy can hook you up with a frame: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...er-free-75035/

Old 08-12-2015, 05:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i would suggest the LR 180 t-stat instead of the in line as you have a warranty to maintain.
you may want to check ebay for a LR block heater and replace one of the freeze plugs with it before the engine goes in.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by drowssap
i would suggest the LR 180 t-stat instead of the in line as you have a warranty to maintain.
you may want to check ebay for a LR block heater and replace one of the freeze plugs with it before the engine goes in.
I've been using the 180 td5 thermostat from Rovers North for months now in my truck and have noticed a resonable drop in my engine temps. I'm going to continue using this thermostat though for the sake of the new engine I gonna buy another one from RN just to eliminate any potential issues later on. My truck came with a block heater though I've never used it. Good point about the warrenty by the way. I probably should avoid any modifications to the engine or coming system that might void my new blocks warrenty.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:44 AM
TReK
Talking

Paid in full.... Turner is still in today so they may be able to ship out my order today! Words cannot describe the joy I feel right now. I never thought i would get quit this far, this soon. This block is probably the most important and biggest improvement to my D2 of all the things I have invested in. Grant a frame swap will probably cost more money in labor but the powerplant is key. I have asked my mechanic to take pictures of the block once it arrives at his shop though again I dont expect the block will be installed until the Spring. Ill keep updates flowing.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

awaiting updates

Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Wow! I just dipped into this thread and it is interesting on so many levels! Please keep up your posts!

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build