Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

i have only read parts of this thread over time, do you have a slipped liner? if so guess you dont want to have it pinned with engine in?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
i have only read parts of this thread over time, do you have a slipped liner? if so guess you dont want to have it pinned with engine in?

Unfortunately I may never know with certainly. My engine ticks like many other folks trucks, it comes and goes. No major problems with the engine and she drove just fine up to the day I parked her at my mechanics shop. I was going to have my mechanic tear the engine apart, investigate the source of the ticking and do a complete diagnostic of the engine to see what shape shes in, then possibly rebuild her. But my mechanic assured me that the paying a shop to do top hat liners would cost between $6k-$10k and thats not counting anything else. So after tons of research and listening to other forum members woes and a thread discussion about Turner re manufactured engines I decided to skip the engine tear down and diagnostics and just shoot for a Turner engine. Save time and money and get it done right the first time.

Its a shame our US currency is jack **** right now..... the UK pound is worth more so that stings a bit every time I make a payment on the Turner engine but I remind myself its worth it.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

a few years ago it was 2.50 lbs to a dollars, so it has greatly improved at 1.40

Old 06-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

x2 the exchange rate right now is pretty damn good.

Either way you will be happy with the motor I'm sure.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I think if you keep the old motor. You need to put it on a jack stand and just rebuild her yourself. Don't have the mechanic do it.

Let him give you advice and expertise when needed sure. But it will be a good opportunity for you to gain mechanical experience. Which I think is part of the reason we all like our Disco's. Secondly it will help calm your fears about these engines if you know in's and out's.

Land Rovers are essentially pieces of junk in a lot of ways. But if you have one long enough you will become a shade tree mechanic. Those are skills that last a life time.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

make a coffee table out of it, that turner engine should out live your truck

Old 06-26-2015, 06:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

At least you're getting something for your $6000, not like our boy Lincoln.
Wonder if his "bonnet bar" survived?
Name:  10492525_2635140687173_2667609369384133367_n_zpsaskuh5z0.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  30.5 KB

Old 07-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Hat liners

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Unfortunately I may never know with certainly. My engine ticks like many other folks trucks, it comes and goes. No major problems with the engine and she drove just fine up to the day I parked her at my mechanics shop. I was going to have my mechanic tear the engine apart, investigate the source of the ticking and do a complete diagnostic of the engine to see what shape shes in, then possibly rebuild her. But my mechanic assured me that the paying a shop to do top hat liners would cost between $6k-$10k and thats not counting anything else. So after tons of research and listening to other forum members woes and a thread discussion about Turner re manufactured engines I decided to skip the engine tear down and diagnostics and just shoot for a Turner engine. Save time and money and get it done right the first time.

Its a shame our US currency is jack **** right now..... the UK pound is worth more so that stings a bit every time I make a payment on the Turner engine but I remind myself its worth it.
Wow, 6-10k for top hat liners! I had a shop in Calgary Alberta do it for $2000 plus I supplied the liners, $800. He also installed new rings, Rod bearings, polished the crank and install new crank bearings, new cam bearings and frost plugs. He did a fantastic job and will supply his contact info for anyone who wants it. He also has done many of them and says it's not all that hard and the darten liners are hard as hell, should last forever.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:15 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GROVERDISCO
Wow, 6-10k for top hat liners! I had a shop in Calgary Alberta do it for $2000 plus I supplied the liners, $800. He also installed new rings, Rod bearings, polished the crank and install new crank bearings, new cam bearings and frost plugs. He did a fantastic job and will supply his contact info for anyone who wants it. He also has done many of them and says it's not all that hard and the darten liners are hard as hell, should last forever.
I'm only paying $6,500 for the engine with ductile liners, upgrades camshaft and reman heads, new oil pump assembly plus new oil pump cover, new water pump, new head gaskets and head bolts. Everything shipped for $6,500. Not sure where the $10k came in.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice build thread man just went through the entire thing! Good job! I have to agree with most of the comments on the price of the engine however, pretty steep! Just roll with it!

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build