Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

I run the thrush welded

Old 12-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

I need a muffler for my plastic car, the OEM looks like an old Cherry Bomb bullet. I noticed it was sagging while underneath and lo and behold, it's toast. If I touched it nice one more time it would've folded. Another fix needed. So I'll be looking for another bullet style (bullet due to space limitation, can't do a box type)....... recommendations?

AND I had a craptastic day with my cheap little plastic car. Finally installed the timing chain needed to finish off the motor. I had the two cams sitting on the bench labeled "exhaust" and "intake" with lifters and saddles. Guess what? Didn't even think of cross checking just went ahead with my trusty 1/4" drive Snap-On with 8mm socket and installed them. Well, there's an offset boss on both sides of the head and a offset collar on each cam that's supposed to prevent you from getting it backwards, I managed to snug the cam blocks down with that little wrench and busted the bosses, never even knew it. Had everything buttoned up and went to start it expecting a nice little smoker for a few and I got zip. Thump, thump, thump, and thump, thump, thump. Sounded like it was launching mortar rounds. Finally after several attempts and flooding the little turd I removed the valve cover for a looky lou and bingo, found the problem. So, I get to do a do-over. I had this head decked out to up the compression just a bit and spent a few coins to let somebody else do the valves.... I have two cylinders with very low compression which equals.......... bent valves. The backs of my knees are killing me from leaning over the fender and my lower back is throbbing too. I can't tell ya how happy I am right now......... no really. I had no leftovers, everything went back where it belonged which after a few months is pretty damn good cuz I don't normally label, bag, tag, arrange anything...... apparently when I do I get it wrong!

I found another head close by so I get to strip this little turd apart one more time. I'll be joining a Saturn S-Series forum as an "Expert" so if you don't hear from me you'll know why. I'll be on another forum and zip-zip-zipping my 1/4" drive ratchet until the wee hours.....

Please, carry on with the Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build. I just had to vent to my buds.

Last edited by ihscouts; 12-06-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Scouts good luck we have all been there lol, I'm sure you'll sort it out, bullet muffler? Sounds like you need a small resonator, they look like the old red tube cherry bombs, seen them a lot on 4cyl as muffler, quiet

Old 12-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm kool with venting Scouts, this whole thread is a VENT! LOL!!

What the year/model of the fantastic plastic?

Old 12-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Camel Trophy

94 Saturn SC2 - 1.9 DOHC 16V 125hp 1200lbs. The pic is not mine but exact.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TOM R
Scouts good luck we have all been there lol, I'm sure you'll sort it out, bullet muffler? Sounds like you need a small resonator, they look like the old red tube cherry bombs, seen them a lot on 4cyl as muffler, quiet
Thanks Tom, I'll be checking em out. I (was) going to increase the pipe size right off the manifold, I think the pea shooter has 1.75". Not caring about sound so much as efficiency - fuel mileage, make er breath. Quiet is good.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'll see what's out there and try to help with the plastic fantastic as well....

Mean while..................

You want a vent? I'll give you a damn vent!
Anyone ever write up a C pillar base repair over here???
HOLEY SHIAT...............Reminds me of the bed construction of a Jeep J10 pick up bed construction........built from lesser materials of course.......Ugh!!!!

As an engineer........you should know certain construction habits/techniques are going to fail.......Rover employee's are AMAIZING!!!

More to follow, more photo's than photobucket can handle, more time involved creating the post than I can handle..............idiots.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Camel Trophy

Lol....... I feel a little better now..... If you close off the underside of the C pillar (wheel well) that stops 99.9% of the quick rot right there.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Lol....... I feel a little better now..... If you close off the underside of the C pillar (wheel well) that stops 99.9% of the quick rot right there.
Why would they do that? WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?..........pathetic.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Scouts......Found you your muffler, says you get a 5-10 HP gain as well!

Name:  zip53_zpsjnvhzj1v.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  108.3 KB

Last edited by Detoured Discovey; 12-08-2015 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-