Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 389 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Trip side note......Ever feel alone? Like, there's no one else out there?

Never saw another D1 out there........not 1......Couple of run down D2's looking extremely sad once I reached my destination.........Sure, 2 hand fulls of newer hardware.......mehh....but not another single D1.......it's a lonely world...
I'm only in mine on Saturday and Sunday. And yes, there are very few D1's on the road today. I see DII's around and about, plenty of RR's and LR3-5's. Owning a D1 in good working order is pretty damn cool in my opinion.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
So is that a ball joint/TRE at the frame end?
Running and driving D1's are getting extremely scarce. I know where a couple reside in my area but I almost never see one on the road.
Actually both ends have ball joints Fish.......it's eliminated the slight bump steer I had as well as the very little death wobble I was getting with the worn out LR bushing set up. I basically did this the day prior to the morning I left, after retightening after the test drive, it felt so good I said hell....lets roll.

It's nice as it's adjustable, I'll be able to recenter once lifted......

I do have over sized polly joints here for other vehicles, nothing as small as LR puts under there......I may create a polly joint on the pass. side as time permits as a single bushing end is found on most makes, typically over sized.
These 2 mini bushing things are something I've never run into prior.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by stillruns
I'm only in mine on Saturday and Sunday. And yes, there are very few D1's on the road today. I see DII's around and about, plenty of RR's and LR3-5's. Owning a D1 in good working order is pretty damn cool in my opinion.
I guess your right, I was always one who dared to be different.........although in this case I'm just a little late showing up to the party.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Another quick note on the last trip.........Before the trip I was noticing a little upper end chatter during a cold start in the motor. Day after the trip I noticed a minor low end knock when restarting cold..............Hmmmm......remember my water pump failed not long ago and I ran her very, very hot?......My thought was I slightly cooked the Rotella.
I did a 2 quart oil transfusion prior to the return trip, pulled the filter & replaced, drained another quart (with out spilling) and refilled............got a knock when first started cold, hasn't knocked since..........time for another oil change, but the 2 quart transfusion worked wonders........I was pushing this thing at 75-80mph for hours at a time there and back......I'm sure that didn't help.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,186 Likes on 849 Posts

Changing your oil after a over heating issue is a must-do...but most folks don't know that.

Went to an oil seminar/class years ago (yes, being a mechanic for thirty nine years...you get to do some pretty exciting stuff...lol) and the oil rep giving the lecture talked about oil deterioration caused by over-heating an engine. They gave us a scale, breaking down the deterioration of the oil, by 3 degree increments above operating temperature (190 for most engines back then)...and how much it shorten the life of the oil (since you are basically cooking it). And once the temperature went north of 210 degrees...the oil's protection values went south sharply...and at anything north of 230...you basically had the protection values equivalent to water in your crankcase.

Normally, folks have a over-heating issue an immediately repair the problem...and go on about their merry way...but in truth...they've overlooked a ticking time bomb in the crankcase. Nice catch on your part, you may have dodge a bullet.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
Detoured Discovey (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Don't you love those seminars......Up until about 9 years ago when I was still doing outside contract structural steel work, I had to do a 3 weekend OSHA out reach program to fulfil the requirements of a good paying contractor's insurance requirements.......needless to say I liked his money, seemed silly, and it was since I've been a certified welder for some 24 years then......

Sounds like you learned something doing your class, thanks for the info. As far as my OSHA class went......laughable.....The one question I raised was about outside air sources (say with a full mask) and what grade air was considered acceptable for the user................umm....err......"I'll have to get back to you on that".........He never did, asked for my money back after the last class, he refused.......Quack program taught by people with zero field experience and only text book knowledge.....f'ing idiot.

Oil Change, on the to do list!!!

Think I figured out the fabrication for my new tail lights finally this morning, looking forward to toying with that very soon!!

Old 12-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Whoops......almost forgot......

Old 01-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,186 Likes on 849 Posts

The same folks that invented seminars...had to invent high octane coffee.

Happy New Year to you, too...but I hope that's not a gas can Jane's a hold'n...lol.

Brian.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Happy New Year to you, too...but I hope that's not a gas can Jane's a hold'n...lol.

Brian.

Damnnnnn brotha'.........You're an evil thinker!

Old 01-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Knowing my driver's side floor was bad for a year now, I decided to pick up some 14ga steel and go ahead and pull some carpet prior to calling it a day today...........

My initial response to this is.............This side of the truck is going to require 2 jugs of bourbon.................pass side only required '1'......

I'm thinking on this side, I should just pull off my rust free fiberglass rocker panel as well and address that 'U' channel at the same time from front to rear, deff. pulling back more carpet, plastic at the seat base........but the seat is staying....you know those bolts/nut sockets are just gonna spin......

Should be fun! Stay tuned!!!!

Oh, my cat got a new fishing pole for Christmas.........good luck to her!!

Quick Reply: Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-