Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I dig it looks good man way to knock it out.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I really love the way it came out. I'll take one please and thank you.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Loosing the front bumper and plastic...........MIND BLOWING effect on engine temps.........it's f'ing crazy!!!

Old 11-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Airflow has been known to help.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Loosing the front bumper and plastic...........MIND BLOWING effect on engine temps.........it's f'ing crazy!!!

Wasn't there a video about that very thing from St Pierre? He was in "the bush" and mounted his front license plate just slightly over a bumper opening. He immediately noticed and increase in temps. He moved or notched it or something back to normal. Maybe a half inch over the hole made a big difference. I can imagine what gains your getting with the hood vents and the bumper ditched. I've got a Saudi grill and I see a huge difference. I'm seriously considering those hood vents. It rains less than 5" a year here. So I'm not worried about incoming water.

The following users liked this post:
Detoured Discovey (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, new to the board. Probably an intro page somewhere I should have filled out first. My neighbor has a 93 disco making her mark in his driveway. He's been wanting to sell it for about a year now. Second owner. First owner reported that engine was replaced at 90k. It's sitting at 120k now. Lots of deferred maintenance by the looks of it, but it's never left him stranded. Brakes are soft, stops not swift. Anyways I've read your whole thread in the last two days in an effort to talk myself out of it.. Really enjoyed the thread.. still on the fence. Asking price is 3500... California car.. need to go back and look for rot... need to get my project pickup running before I sell my daily driver pickup because as soon as you have no pickup you need a fridge or a couch or something... again, many thanks. I'll let you know if I learned any lessons from your cautionary tail. Or if I just took the dumbass route like I usually do in life.....

Last edited by Lowcoe; 11-06-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Can't spell
The following users liked this post:
Detoured Discovey (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Wait not 93. 2003. Sorry

Old 11-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Many thoughts on the grill 'shifty....there's more closed surface area then open, your conversion is probably called that for a reason.......it's HOT there and makes more sense! I'm sure you see much better temps! As far as hood vents, proper placement is key........I have ZERO side effects from rain.

Locoe......if your board with life and need an adventure......GO FOR IT!
$3500 is far too high, offer him/them 2k at best.......they'll need 2k one day over letting it sit in the driveway dripping. Thanks for reading!

Almost pulled the rear bumper this afternoon..........fired off my generator for a system check prior to winter instead......glad I did as she ran a tad rough for the first 5 minutes......also winterized every other gasoline powered tool I owned as well........that was 2 hours better spent!!! Giddy Up!!!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Drifting

Good advice! If nothing else it motivated me to finish up repairs on one more fender and get it into primer... sorry to hijack da thread again. I will sit back and watch from here on out unless I have something on topic to add... carry on!

Ohh oo.... thought of a question! When welding on a complete rig such as yours don't you have to worry about frying the ECM or other electronics??? Ok I'll go sit back down in the back of the classroom. Carry on!!

Attached Thumbnails Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build--img_9523.jpg  
Old 11-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Not if you disconnect the battery terminals....... and if your really paranoid disconnect the ECM and pull fuses. Common shop welding practices when welding around electrical/electronics.......

As for the 03 DII, I wouldn't, sorry to be the rain cloud in the sunshine parade. It's the runt of the LR litter right after any Freelander. Read up in the Disco II section. The 03/04 are problematic more over than the run of the mill 99 1/2 - 02 Series II Discovery's and you'll notice that most of the posts on this board are in that section.....frig'n station wagons who wanna be Rovers. Busted gear-rotor oil pumps, cracked blocks, liners not sealing, liners slipping, cams drifting out of their bearings and a myriad of other poor quality controls those models suffered. There is a huge difference between the Disco dances. 94-95 came with a distributor and FI. 96-99 1/2 had a crank sensor = Sequential FI and then the DII which was more car-like instead of truck like. You'll never bust a lug stud on an early Disco...... ever. Find an early 97 and you'll be happy, the late 97 on up had a funkiness in the fuel vapor handling that frankly has wires tied in series to all kinds of junk.

Quick Reply: Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-