Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Agreed, not a very secure method of keeping things outta the sheet metal meat. It doesn't help that it "looks cool" to have the bumper above the frame horns. Eric did allot to his truck but he lacked any serious fab experience and I believe it was his first motor rebuild........

Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

To be clear, I guess a more fair way to ask what I was saying would be...Is that the only mounting option offered by that manufacturer? 4 bolts, way up front to existing holes? I'd be laughed out of business if I did that.
That upper vertical brush guard system works great with small deer and brush, but rarely survives a real one on one incident.......exactly why some manufactures push it forward on a pitch........last deer the wife hit she drove over.....lol, tweaked the tie rod.....cop was impressed.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

There are a couple that require an additional hole be drilled for a 3rd bolt but it's rarely done.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't think there are many manufacturers left. I never trusted them anyways no matter what I was working on. I always have to add.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Two words...........**** Poor........on both accounts.

I'm definitely from a different neighborhood, reputations are built on durability.....

Customer from 2 winters ago in Alaska, multiple Jeeps thru the ice, into the river.......took 2 full size, overbuilt Suburban's on 47's to pull this guy out 2 days later, the thank you note was 2 emails long for the system he bought, I provided.....

It's one of my winch mount/recovery systems.......Note the front axle missing, windshield gone..........you don't do recovery like this with 4 bolts in factory holes......

This one, same system, again in Alaska......lost control at 35mph hit a huge pine tree so hard it rolled up the tree off the fairlead..........another long thank you note......he drove it home. He bought another winch mount system off me 3 months later........no frame damage, only replaced the fiberglass fascia (j/y), factory bumper skin ($32.00) & plastic grill ($26.00).

Change your tire in the woods? No problem...........

You can't make this stuff up, nor can you do it with 4 bolts in your factory supplied holes........build right, install it right, it treats you right.

Last edited by Detoured Discovey; 01-10-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen the truck in the tree trick before, just much higher up in the tree

Grab a beer and take a peek took me a minute to find the link I needed.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...LWmtKXprOvK_wE

Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Uh, that would be Roverfanatic yes?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

TexaninMass is what he used to go by on the forum.

Nice guy, very energetic

Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Wow.......If your more comfortable about talking about Ford Excursions, we can go back to that........you really missed the point of the post.

I'm from New England, we have a nick name for those who dwell in Massachusetts, looks like you have a board man who owns a Rova and doesn't care.......yippy!! Did that to a Pinto with a come along in 81.........

Logging off scratching my n__'s.......I mean head....

Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

No I got the point of the post, just had to share a fun set of pictures

The thing in rover world is the only things folks ever complained about really was the arb bumpers torquing under winch loads.

The real problem is 90% of rover owners want bolt on solutions. They do not want to cut, drill or massage to make it work. It should arrive be sexy and easily installed with basic hand tools or even better install itself.

I had a scorpion racing bumper on the front of my RRC. I had to drill to additional holes in the frame for mounting, and remove the bottom 5" of my front fenders for it to fit right. It looked awesome and the fender edges were just dead weight really.

Quick Reply: Super Model With Bad Crack Habit Rehab Build-