Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

[Help] New Rover 95 Discovery I

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do a full major service as posted in the top of the D2 section and make sure all is current before you go throwing mods at it.
I would suggest waiting till you have had at least 5 or 6 good trail runs with other Discos before you throw money at something you don't even know how to drive or what it will handle.
Yeah, I gotta concur with DM here. I just got my Disco and changed direction dramatically since I got it. This cost me money in items that I bought that I am not going to use.

Go over her good and get it squared away. These things are great stock so just get it reliable first. Then do mods to your taste as you see other Rovers perform.

I am lucky enough to live a few miles from one of the top Rover mechanics in the states. I use forum info with a grain of salt and form my own direction. Get on the trail, join a local club and talk to folks. Then move forward.

Best of luck. My new '95 DI came home on a 200 mile trip with a blown head gasket. I got to know my Rover quickly.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do a full major service as posted in the top of the D2 section and make sure all is current before you go throwing mods at it.
I would suggest waiting till you have had at least 5 or 6 good trail runs with other Discos before you throw money at something you don't even know how to drive or what it will handle.
I Just got this Rover recently. The guy who sold it to us is actually a mechanic, but he specializes in Hondas and Acuras (which I used to drive a '95 teg). We replaced the Tie End rods and maintenance (spark plugs, distributor, wire set, oil, oil filter, air filter) I actually bought all of this to do myself and ended up finding out after popping the hood that it was all done already. Then I checked underneath to be sure haha. The big problems are brakes, and electrical. The front right head light does not work and i just replaced the bulbs for both front ones. The left one works but the right is dead.. connection maybe? or fuse?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
In case you didn't know, the blower motor only moves the air, it does not cool or heat the air. And there is more to the A/C then just a compressor. If you aren't sure, you may want to take it to a 'good, honest'(good luck finding one) shop(I hate to tell people that) where they can repair it correctly without throwing parts at it. A/C can be expensive if you don't know what you are doing, or cheap if you take the time to learn how it works and have the time and patience to do it right.
To be honest I I just did as the mechanic who sold it to me said. Next he said the compressor was broken so I found one for about $100 online. If that doesn't work I guess I know he is just scamming money off of me, which I doubt. But then again I'm 16 and gullible.

Originally Posted by ainiguez
In addition, before you spend a lot on it, check to see that all is indeed in order. Summertime may reveal issues with the headgasket, etc. (hopefully not)
Will do.

Originally Posted by Spike555
The ABS light codes can be read by following the link in the tech section on the top of the page.

The SRS (airbag) trouble codes can only be read by the dealer.

If the red "service engine soon" light is on you can reset that yourself.
If the amber "check engine" light is on then you need to read the codes using the code read that is under the passenger dash.
Thanks, I think I will just take it to my auto shop class bc we have a reader. Thank you for the information though. And the closest Dealership is in Jackson...about 2 hours away.

Originally Posted by tibyABv6
for ABS check this post ... see post #4 to download instructions on how to get code signal...#24 for location of rellays you need
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ghlight=brakes
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Unless the PO got creative with your wiring harness, the display box for fault codes is under the passenger seat on a '95... the OBD1 diag. plug is below the glove box.
Is there a way to convert the OBD1 to OBD2? Just wondering.

Thank to everybody for their information. Replacing the tires with in the week, and tomorrow I'm going to figure out the ABS problem. With the SRS I guess I am SOL for awhile.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The speakers just unscrew and have a white and black plug that pull right out. On one of mine the wires from the bottom of the cone to the connectors were corroded. Often people part out trucks on craigslist try that. Otherwise there is a guy on ebay that sells them for 25 bucks plus shipping. If the subwoofer is crap take it out and do the fix in the sticky section. 3$ fix.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo

Is there a way to convert the OBD1 to OBD2? Just wondering.
Nope... Different systems. You'll like your model year.... 'tis a good one.

AND

demonlarry - "looked under my passenger seat for my diag codes... snapped a photo of what I saw. photo link is this what I'm supposed to see?"

That was a rare factory option... Lucky you!

Last edited by Cosmic88; 12-01-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Nope... Different systems. You'll like your model year.... 'tis a good one.

AND

demonlarry - "looked under my passenger seat for my diag codes... snapped a photo of what I saw. photo link is this what I'm supposed to see?"

That was a rare factory option... Lucky you!
Holy Smokes! Where do I get one?! I think I got ripped....

Last edited by kenk; 12-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the World of Discovery. That is a heck of a first vehicle for a 16 year old.

I would caution you to take it easy with it and learn it safely so you don't destroy it, yourself, and any of your friends that may dare to go out with you. If you are not patient and careful with it, you can do a lot of damage in a hurry, especially off-road.

It will go some incredible places, it can also flip and kill you in a hurry if you try something you should not. I hope you realize that and respect it and nature as you go off-roading in it. Now I will get off my High Horse (he can't help it, it's his nature).

Do make sure all the fluids, especially the differential and transfer case have been changed. Does the CDL function properly? Do you know how it is supposed to be used?

It's a lot of vehicle, but also a lot of fun and a great thing to learn how to maintain it.

Download the RAVE, it contains all the technical data for your Discovery.

Take a lot of pics of things before you disturb them and as you are taking them apart to work on. This will help you learn about it and can be used to help get it back together correctly.

Take it easy with it to begin with until you get a goofd feel for how it handles.

Don't do the bash, crash and trash routine that so many new owners do.

Watch the various videos on Utube and see how some people really screw up.

Most of all, enjoy it.

I always tell new owners to treat it like a new woman you just met, get to know her top to bottom, front to back, inside and out.

You may want to look real good for any rust that was just painted over as well.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The workshop manual is in my sig. It is called Rave.

Check the freon pressue and make sure the compressor is running before you swap it. The electric fans in front should turn on when you turn on the a/c.

Change your fluids so you have a benchmark. It is easy and relatively cheap.

Check all of your fuses. Also with the aftermarket head unit, they probably bypassed the factory amp. Passenger side footwell. It runs on a common ground, and if you use an aftermarket head unit with it, you will get a buzz. Check the wiring before you go replacing speakers. I would put my money on a loose connection before a bad speaker..

Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have speakers if you are interested in them.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As posted in this thread:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34325

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
I spent the first year of driving my Rover to and from work. It helps I am a Audi technician and have all the tools I need to work on mine. In that year I have replaced the following:

Left rear axle seal
Rear brake pad pins (they were missing)
Starter
Water pump
Viscous fan clutch
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Air filter
Distributor cap and rotor
Flushed: front, rear and center diff oils
Added a copper washer where the trans cooler line attaches to the radiator, it was missing.
Coolant resevoir tank
Exchanged the green coolant for Pink (better at coagulating when there are tiny leaks)
wiper blades front and rear
Transmission flush with filter
Couple of oil changes
Right rear window regulator
Both rear subs exchanged for Alpines.

All of this work has made mine pretty reliable. I still however need to
fix alot of small leaks with the trans cooler lines, power steering lines
and valley pan gasket. Possibly the head gaskets.

Point I am trying to make is they are only reliable if you put in the time.
Alot of these repairs are normal for a vehicle with over 170k on it so I am
totally happy to perform the repairs knowing I now know how much longer
each part will last. I have also put on some mean mud terrain tires and plan
on putting on rock sliders, a 2" lift, new headlights and turn signals and front
bumper mod. Just like any vehicle with time and mileage on the clock you
have to love it and it will love you back.
I also have done the following since that post:

Rotoflex joint and axle sleeve
Drained all 3 diffs and added 85w 140 oil. no more clunky shifts.
Added the Rock sliders.
The only mod I have done other than maintenance is the sliders. Money well spent after running through the boulders of the rocky mountains.

Best Money spent was on 4 new BFG MT KM2 245/75/16. Worth every penny when off roading. I still caution that you should go through all the maintenance prior to going off road. It makes you really familiar with all of your vehicle before getting into trouble.

Quick Reply: [Help] New Rover 95 Discovery I