Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1996 Disco Post Accident air bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Disco Post Accident air bags

Hi everyone,

I have a 1996 Disco that was involved in a rear end accident, which deployed both the driver and passenger airbags. The SRS is on because of this. I replaced both bags and got a new module. The SRS was still on, and I was advised to go to a LR dealership to get the light removed/ fault reset. I went to the dealership and they connected 3 different testbooks to the battery, but could not get any fault codes. The testbooks kept saying couldn't make a connection even though it was able to do a 30 second scan on the SRS. Therefore, the mechanics at the dealership had no clue as to what's going on. Anyone know what's going on or what needs to be replaced? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ace

Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like your OBD port is dead.
Sorry but I have no info on how to fix it.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

When I replaced the SRS cable reel on my 96 the SRS light cleared itself. I'm wondering if something is not connected after the repair.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Overlanding

Is there a way to check that the OBD port is definitely not working? I read somewhere about how LR dealerships utilize several of these Testbooks, which can't necessarily communicate with older vehicles. In another post they mentioned about how mechanics do the common thing of pulling out old discs and saying nothing works.

Jafir, did your airbags deploy? If so, what did you replace besides the cable reel? Or were you just tinkering with the steering wheel column and pulled the reel by accident?

Also, does anyone think that checking out the fuses related to SRS/air bag could have any effect?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

My SRS light was on, and then later my horn stopped working. I can live without the airbag working, but with all of the driving skills around here I had to have the horn.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Overlanding

ok, so I went to another dealership and they diagnosed that I need an SRS ECU which needs to be specific to my VIN. My airbag module came from a 1996 Discovery with an obviously different VIN. I've never heard of this for older model cars. Has anyone ever heard that you need VIN specific SRS modules that need to be made by LR factory which will code in my VIN? Sounds like BS to me. Additional cost = 850

Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there any legal requirement where you are coverin airbags?

I have never had one with airbag deployment.

Another consideration, don't airbags expire at something like a ten year interval? I know mine is way beyond that.

Anyone know the staight skinny on this?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:28 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Correct.

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Is there any legal requirement where you are coverin airbags?

I have never had one with airbag deployment.

Another consideration, don't airbags expire at something like a ten year interval? I know mine is way beyond that.

Anyone know the staight skinny on this?
Most manufactures recommend 'servicing' the SRS system every 7-10 years. Depending on what you have, it could be as simple as a visual inspection to replacement of all airbags($$$$$).

Not positive on Land Rovers.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Taken from the RAVE in the maintenance section.

AIR BAG MODULE(S)
Check air bag module covers.
Check visually for signs of damage.
Renew every ten years.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aceoffadezz
ok, so I went to another dealership and they diagnosed that I need an SRS ECU which needs to be specific to my VIN. My airbag module came from a 1996 Discovery with an obviously different VIN. I've never heard of this for older model cars. Has anyone ever heard that you need VIN specific SRS modules that need to be made by LR factory which will code in my VIN? Sounds like BS to me. Additional cost = 850
The RAVE manual doesn't say anything about this... but that doesn't mean it's not true.

It does say that there were two different system fitted to D1, and gives a VIN breakdown of when they changed the system.

Quick Reply: 1996 Disco Post Accident air bags