Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1996 Disco Post Accident air bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geek_IM
A masterful troll, sir, I salute you. It had better be a troll, otherwise the forum as a group will have to band together and start making torches. And it's Sunday, for goodness sakes.
If you hadn't noticed, I said that I would keep it per advice of other forum members and getting rough estimates on certain items. I didn't know how much cheaper it would be to get the parts myself. Don't go bashing others and not offering even one cent of advice. To me, you're trolling by adding nothing to this thread except your BS.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by aceoffadezz
I've changed my mind on letting it go. The tune up and other maintenance issues, I can handle. The primary problem is the SRS light. I know i can go without airbags, but wouldn't my car fail an inspection? I read in the RAVE that upon deployment, you have to replace everything from wiring harness, 2 airbag crash sensors under the hood, DCU, etc. No mechanic around me wants to do this work. So what do i do?
I have no idea about the inspection or what to replace.
Does your horn work?
Take it to a inspection shop and see what they say about the SRS.
If they scan it and the SRS fault does not come up then I would remove the bulb, but thats just me.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spike555
I have no idea about the inspection or what to replace.
Does your horn work?
Take it to a inspection shop and see what they say about the SRS.
If they scan it and the SRS fault does not come up then I would remove the bulb, but thats just me.
The horn works. The funny thing is, when the inspection shop tries to connect their OBD or any diagnostic device, I have a feeling it won't read anything. Two dealerships weren't able to connect Testbooks to my Disco, so there must be some other problem.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Alot of people have OBD port problems, but no one every posts the repair.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey now realize when air bags deploy, that is a controlled explosion of a pyro technic device right there. Of course you should replace it all. It was not just a light coming on!!!!!

And Bashing goes both ways, Bash and be bashed. Get crude, Spike will trake care of you.....

Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 AM

From the pics, it took a pretty big lick. I never would have spent 4 grand repairing the collision damage. If the engine was good, I would have yanked it and the whole drivetrain and looked for another one to put it on.

You know what they say about a fool and his money.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Hey now realize when air bags deploy, that is a controlled explosion of a pyro technic device right there. Of course you should replace it all. It was not just a light coming on!!!!!

And Bashing goes both ways, Bash and be bashed. Get crude, Spike will trake care of you.....
I did replace the airbags, which include the device that causes the controlled explosion. I have to get another air bag DCU which is VIN specific and that will run me 850. I'm pretty sure if I got the dealership to do it, it would be VERY expensive as they would have to remove the whole center of the interior and tack on countless hours at $115/hr.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 PM

Is it a Salvage title since the wreck?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Take out the ECU and shake it, then put it back in. Maybe the SRS sensor will reset.

I'm actually only half kidding. Some airbag sensors are basically just a magnet and a gold plated ball bearing. If you hit something hard enough, the ball bearing comes off the magnet and hits some contacts, completing the circuit. This may be a catastrophic event though.... not really sure if you could actually reset the sensors by getting the ball bearing back onto the magnet. And I don't know if Land Rover uses these types of sensors.

Quick Reply: 1996 Disco Post Accident air bags