Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

3 ways to flush your power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3 ways to flush your power steering

Hello!

I had a problem with my power steering fluid. It was milky. Tried to flush using the bleeding nipple, waisted about a quart and the milk was still there....

Disconnected the return hose from the reservoir, connected it to a hose and then added some pints of liquid to the reservoir until it was pretty clear. The problem I had with this method is that I was alone and was not able to turn the steering wheel while pouring more liquid in to the reservoir. I was thinking I had done a successfull flush, but once I topped the reservoir and started the engine, the liquid became milky again.... There was an improvement because I started with condensed milk, and now I have something like fat free milk... I waisted about 2 quarts of steering fluid liquid on this procedure, and today I have doublechecked the Workshop manual and found that it uses ATF fluid... a lot cheaper than Steering fluid, so... I need to flush it again. Basically, yesterday I trew about 45 bucks to the garbage... That is the price of knowledge...

I went to google to find out what I did wrong and I have found this page. Since I have read that a lot of you have gone trough the same issue, I want to share it.

Take a look!!

Doug's Domain :: DIY Power Steering Flush

Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it looks milky, that is an indication of water mixing with the fluid. You are correct in the use of ATF instead of normal PS fluid.

You can use a turkey baster to suck out what you can. Sounds like you may need to totally drain the system and see what else may be going on with it. Adding more fluid will only contaminate it as well is what I am thinking. Good Luck.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Remove your fan belt, remove the return line of the power steering system from the reservoir.
Spin the pulley by hand until all of the fluid is gone.
Put it back together, refill.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Remove your fan belt, remove the return line of the power steering system from the reservoir.
Spin the pulley by hand until all of the fluid is gone.
Put it back together, refill.

Or leave belt on and start truck and let It run for 10-15 seconds

Trust me it will be fine. One time on the trail I lost all of mine. Used 20w motor oil in it to get home. At first it made some noise by later quieted down. When I got home I flushed it all and filled it back up with ATF. Isn't any louder now than it was before

Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The milky look is likely the fluid foaming which would indicate air being sucked into the system, this can happen at the pump seal or in the steering gear (or a hose now that I think of it). Bleeding the system may get rid of it but it will probably return if not corrected. I can't think of any way for water to get into the system except a deep water crossing or leaving the cap off, hood open in a rainstorm.