Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 Disco. I ve had it....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I drove my D1 for two weeks while I was fooling around with getting two new universals into the prop shaft. It simply becomes a rear wheel truck. Prop shaft was in the bench vise. Spike told me he had done this, not sure how long.

I have never said I have only driven on one propshaft.
And I have never done it.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
watch this video...
spike555's Channel - YouTube
That video makes me want to remove the body and leave nothing but one seat!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty cool vid Spike...
I ve come to think and thisis actualyl the first 4wd Ive owned with a CDL switch, all other 4AWD have been full time no spilt

Old 10-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GROVERtheROVER
pretty cool vid Spike...
I ve come to think and thisis actualyl the first 4wd Ive owned with a CDL switch, all other 4AWD have been full time no spilt
There is a HUGE difference between all wheel drive and full time four wheel drive.
AWD uses either clutches or viscous fluid to transfer power front to rear and the clutches or fluid will automatically slip to allow power to be transferred front or rear without your input.
Full time 4x4 is totally different, it has gears in the transfer case and those gears only lock together if YOU lock them together, if not then it is a open diff which sends power to the path of least resistance.
When you lock your CDL YOU are literally moving gears inside the transfer case to a different position.

jycsalas has a great video of the inside of a Rover t-case with the inspection cover removed and the truck up on a lift while his girlfriend shifts into drive, reverse, and works the CDL but I cant find it.
You can see the gears moving, the CDL changing gears, etc.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And I mis-spoke, see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...aft-out-43160/, it was not Spike, but some one else who's opinion I trust.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks folks, i appreciate the info

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading this, I should be able to drive with my transfer case un locked??? Mine has to be in H for it to move, or All the way pulled back towards the transmission shifter.... Hmm. Do I have a PROBLEM?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Mudding

The transfer case has to be engaged in a minimum of H for the truck to move. Dont confuse the "diff lock" with the actual transfer case gearing selector. The transfer case has 5 possible modes of operation:

Hi Range (H)
Hi Range (H) with diff lock
Neutral (N)
Lo Range (L)
Lo Range (L) with diff lock

If you put the transfer case in neutral no drive at all will be transmitted from the output shaft of the transmission through the transfer case to the drive shafts. If you engage the diff lock then it locks the differential in the transfer case forcing both the front and rear output shafts to move regardless of being loaded or not and will allow you to limp home with a busted drive shaft or axle.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psykokid
The transfer case has to be engaged in a minimum of H for the truck to move. Dont confuse the "diff lock" with the actual transfer case gearing selector. The transfer case has 5 possible modes of operation:

Hi Range (H)
Hi Range (H) with diff lock
Neutral (N)
Lo Range (L)
Lo Range (L) with diff lock

If you put the transfer case in neutral no drive at all will be transmitted from the output shaft of the transmission through the transfer case to the drive shafts. If you engage the diff lock then it locks the differential in the transfer case forcing both the front and rear output shafts to move regardless of being loaded or not and will allow you to limp home with a busted drive shaft or axle.
To engaged diff lock, what do I do? Lol I didn't know about this.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Mudding

move the transfer case lever to the left, when the light on the dash comes on diff lock is enaged.

down and to the right is H
down and to the left is H with diff lock
up and to the right is L
up and to the left is L with diff lock

Quick Reply: 95 Disco. I ve had it....