Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 D1 Engine turns over but will not startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It getting badder - good badderies and badder coils.. er.. windings

Originally Posted by landlover_1
Oh dear sir.. I am so sorry if I have offended you in any shape, manner or form. You are too generous to call my wisdom ageless and kind and for that I thank you. Unfortunately I consulted my magic eight ball again and the reply is 'Better not tell you now'.

Don't fret.. this lady's wisdom is unassuming, endless and loves to keep giving..

Welcome to America - Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!

You are kind beyond compare, my lady. A lovely ledder to a lonely badchelor already helps.

I went on a further round of research on this wonderful communications framework called the "innernet" (by the way I read in a "Breaking News" flash that the president of the US of A said that the White House plans to relinquish control of the innernet - I have wrongly assumed that Zuckerberg had already taken it over many moons ago). However, look what I discovered related to unstarting Discoveries:

From a very technical forum, presented by an expert on ignition coils:

".... the only proper coil test is with a multimeter. Why? Here's the rundown: [if the baddery is not already run down, mind you]

"Inside an ignition coil are two coils of wire on top of each other [On top of each other? I am trying to figure out this incestuous arrangement... or does it mean that one coil of wire is wound around the other coil of wire...?].

"These coils are called windings. One winding is called the primary winding, the other is the secondary. [Now this bit of necessary logic I understood].

"The primary winding gets the juice together [that acidy fluid from inside the baddery?] to make a spark and the secondary sends it out the door [after a while it became obvious the expert refers to the hole on top of the coil. So that is the problem with my Landrover's inability to start: that little hollow receptor in the centre of the distributor cap is completely dry, as are the others that send the juice further on to the spark plugs - no juice gets to the centre hole, so the teeny weeny little holes in the wire from the coil to the distributor may also be blocked, it seems].

"Either one of these windings can go bad and cause your ignition coil to fail. [but only when it goes badder and badder and then real BAD].

"Sometimes an ignition coil is bad, clearly bad, as in it makes no spark at all. [Even if there is a goood baddery pumping the juice as in into the coilings of the coil where the windings are so tightly coiled up it blocks the juice from getting out. or even in].

"But if a coil is on the way out [at the last maintenance service the mechanic did not tighten the strap bolts] , but not dead yet, it can make a weak spark that can cause the car to run rough or wrong.[not only make it stop but run backwards?].

"By testing an ignition coil with a multimeter while it's disconnected [remote sensing multimeters? - must get one!] , you'll be using data and numbers to determine the health of the coil rather than your eyeballs. [If these multimeters are remote sensing how do they know to determine the health of [only] the coil rather than your eyeballs? As a man I am getting worrieder by the moment about the diagnostic ability of these clever multi meters...].

So much, so much for me to learn in the land of advanced technology... Here it is, for our edification, from the expert's own keypad:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/troubleshooting/ss/coil-test-ohm.htm

Where are you, popping your Landrover Discovery? I am in north west Colorado.

Andries

Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default when it's bad it's really REALLY bad....

Thank you for making me smile today - I needed that I now understand your confusion over the American/English language. I wasn't too sure if the author was actually talking about coils or something else!

I'm popping my battery in the Midwest. Please forgive me if I don't reciprocate to your gentle flirtation as you seem like a very nice gentleman. The thing is.. I'm presently tending to a wound left over from a fairly bad case of unrequited love...it's hard to say if I'll ever recover.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling

A day begun without a thought which brings a smile to the heart and face is a day wasted. That is the way each day is to be started - if it does not happen by default the style must be cultivated.

Now you go and do exactly that each morning.

The following is significant:
“There is a quality about women who choose
men sparingly; it appears in their walk; in their eyes;
in their laughter and in their gentle hearts."

Charles Bukowski

Indeed. Mr. Bukowski must also have been a keen observer of depth and quality and true value. Not all men are - in fact, most are not.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
A day begun without a thought which brings a smile to the heart and face is a day wasted. That is the way each day is to be started - if it does not happen by default the style must be cultivated.

Now you go and do exactly that each morning.

The following is significant:
“There is a quality about women who choose
men sparingly; it appears in their walk; in their eyes;
in their laughter and in their gentle hearts."

Charles Bukowski

Indeed. Mr. Bukowski must also have been a keen observer of depth and quality and true value. Not all men are - in fact, most are not.
Don't you go messing up my mascara now Mr. Montero. You're gonna make me cry...
Thank you and you have a wonderful evening.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Default “A love like that was a serious illness, .... from which you never entirely recover"

Maybe you can not recover; but just, just maybe you can, and that is the way the mind needs to find focus.

Mascara can be applied again when necessary to do so, can it not? Way, way better for the heart and the visage to get relief.

No evening in sight yet - rain coming in from the south-west and I am spending time under the Oil-Leak-On-Wheels (I sure miss my Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero here)), attending to a set of gaskets for the huffin' an' puffin' between the exhaust manifolds and their muffler pipes.

A.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Darn - the pressing issue of the question I had is still with me.

I do not know yet what I have to do to "pop the battery". Expensive, that heavy electron pump is - and to bridge the terminals may very well make it pop; so my flabber is still gasted.

To "re-set" the negative lead I'll go to the Service Manual, no doubt it will be explained there. I did reset the impact switch but that made no difference.

Oh well, it is a cold wintry day - weather like Cape Town this time of the year - and fooling around with an uncooperative old American designed (it has its origins in the Packard, has it not) engine, popped into the 21st century with British designed (Lucas) and not German (Bosch) electronics make for an interesting learning curve, so one is not noticing the chill factor.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default huffin' an' puffin'

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
Darn - the pressing issue of the question I had is still with me.

I do not know yet what I have to do to "pop the battery". Expensive, that heavy electron pump is - and to bridge the terminals may very well make it pop; so my flabber is still gasted.

To "re-set" the negative lead I'll go to the Service Manual, no doubt it will be explained there. I did reset the impact switch but that made no difference.
Oh Mr. Montero.. I wouldn't want your flabber to still be gasted Have you never 'popped your batteries' out of your digital camera, rubbed them like a magic genie in your hands and then put them back into the camera to get that last extra ounce of juice out of them?...

Don't worry, it's not as difficult as a digital camera..Disconnect the black cable attached to your car battery, wait 5 minutes and then reconnect. Rinse and repeat as needed...

See attached photo....you want to 'pop' that area right there inside the green oval. Just so you know that isn't my hand, wrist or arm.. And it isn't a Land Rover but hey, who's keeping track, right?

Of course you know how to do this.. especially if you're 'attending to a set of gaskets....'

Attached Thumbnails 96 D1 Engine turns over but will not startup-batterylead.jpg  

Last edited by landlover_1; 03-26-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Regarding unrequited love-

It seems my dad is not an ignorant fool...

When one door closes, a window opens.

Bon chance avec la nouvelle histoire d'amour !

Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by abran
Regarding unrequited love-

It seems my dad is not an ignorant fool...

When one door closes, a window opens.

Bon chance avec la nouvelle histoire d'amour !

True Abran, however...

"le coeur à ses raisons que la raison ignore"...

it will take some time...

Last edited by landlover_1; 03-26-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Les histoires d'amour sont trop compliquées pour moi !

Quick Reply: 96 D1 Engine turns over but will not startup