Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 D1 Engine turns over but will not startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The for-ever-unsure-of-himself-Oscar-Wilde Esquire.

...which showed in a sometimes over-valued assumption of his ego... but he supplied us with some entertaining reading, did he not.

I suppose he best phonetic exercise in pronounciation would be if you can pronounce undress and subsititute the ess with the sound of the ish like in wish but without the sh and merely an s, you are rather close.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default an ego is not necessarily a baddery thing..

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
...which showed in a sometimes over-valued assumption of his ego... but he supplied us with some entertaining reading, did he not.

I suppose he best phonetic exercise in pronounciation would be if you can pronounce undress and subsititute the ess with the sound of the ish like in wish but without the sh and merely an s, you are rather close.
That was quite the phonetic exercise - something tells me that you've had fun with that one before

I like Oscar Wilde. He probably lived by the motto that 'nothing is too good for the Irish'...and...seeing as I'm partly Irish I have adopted one of his quotes as my motto for living:

'The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it'.

If there aren't so many restrictions in life then there are fewer temptations, non? Chocolate cake? I can have it..

You do realize that we've hijacked this thread...

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by marjac
Can someone please point me in the right direction. My 96 D1 will turn over but not start. I have reset the inertia switch but still no luck. Are there other reset switches. Thanks for the advice.
Soooo did you ever get the truck running?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Default High Jacked the thread? Someone else had starting issues and started a new one

Originally Posted by landlover_1
That was quite the phonetic exercise - something tells me that you've had fun with that one before

I like Oscar Wilde: 'The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it'.

If there aren't so many restrictions in life then there are fewer temptations, non? Chocolate cake? I can have it..

You do realize that we've hijacked this thread...

Well, I have the Landy running rather smoothly and save for a leak in the exhaust somewhere below the new left gasket she sounds quite purrrrty to me. AND I may have posted that the reason for not starting initially was not because the baddery needed poppin' but because the ignition amplifier module needed replacin'. If not I am posting that knowledge right away. However, there may be a more suitable venue for some Irish Coffee and dark chocolate cake - where my email address is also lurking.

"...partly Irish..."
No wonder there is some as yet undefined but nevertheless evident vibe somewhere - the Irish have always, in their style, and sincerity, and character touched a good string within our family. Initially about a 100 years or so ago because so many of them joined forces with my countrymen to fight the British at the turn of the previous century. Subsequent to that historical knowledge coming to my attention I have always found myself ill at ease with the English way of expressing their fear by cracking belittling jokes about Paddy.

Temptation? Life is too short to not succumb at least once to the temptation to adopt a stray dog - or for that matter a neglected Landrover looking for TLC. Of course there are other pitfals; life is risky, but not overly dangerous as long as one walks through the open door with an open mind.

Driver side window failing to wind down (or up)? It may be as simple as a dislocated little electric terminal behind the door panel, or if you can hear the power but there is no movement then the scissoring controller may need some attention.

Regarding the phonetics, if you feel some resistance to the "Undress" bit: Is there an American term "undies" (you know, plural for against-the-skin-clothing?) If the term is familiar, should you be articulate in Scottish pronounciations and can add a rolling letter "r" after the "d" you may very well sound exactly right.

A smile (one thing Landrover owners have to be able to do).

Last edited by MonteroMan; 03-31-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Persistent as well as Optimistic….. both endearing qualities.

Irish Coffee and dark chocolate cake...
Oh, Irish Coffee (the only type of coffee I drink btw) and dark chocolate cake. So sinful… and so very very tempting…..I want it, I want it, I want it Thank you for the invitation.

Regarding the topic of adopting stray ‘dogs’, I must remind you that I’m not in a position to do so at this time. Although you are correct in stating that there is an ‘evident vibe’ (thank you), I adopted a stray a few months ago and he stuck around for a while but recently ran off to parts unknown. I miss him, I miss stroking his fur (although sometimes I did it incorrectly and rubbed it the wrong way), and I’m afraid that my heart and mind are still with him. I wonder where he went to, how far he ran, if he found another home? I thought we were playing the same game, one minute I was throwing the ball and he started to run but he just kept running. I ‘chased’ him down the road for a while (toward the exit ramp) but he was much faster than me and I couldn’t keep up. He was waaaay too fast. He left a big cloud of dust in the air (all I could see were the pads of his hot paws) which choked me up some. I observed that he liked a wide variety of girl dogs too and I believe that is what led him to go astray

He was a unique breed (I don’t dare say mutt), a crossbreed of many types which made him quite interesting to play with and watch. I’d have to say that he was a multi generational mix of a Beagle (good hunting qualities), a German Shepherd (keen sense of high vigilance), Bulldog (firm & courageous), Boxer (can be loyal when they want to be), Czechoslovakian Wolfdog (active, quick, furry & fearless), and dare I say Rottweiler (physically strong, moves rapidly and although typically calm in nature, may have a bad temper). So until I’m over whatever I’m feeling I am afraid that I cannot move on… sigh. Would you care for another slice of chocolate cake?

The driver side window fails to ‘wind’ down. I can’t hear the power either. From what I’ve read on the forum here I am thinking that maybe it is the actuator?
Andries…sssssss…You’re good.. you’re really really good I hope that you’re enjoying your day.

Last edited by landlover_1; 04-01-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling

So sinful… and so very very tempting.

Regarding the topic of adopting stray ‘dogs’, I must remind you that I’m not in a position to do so at this time.

So until I’m over whatever I’m feeling I am afraid that I cannot move on… sigh. Would you care for another slice of chocolate cake?

The driver side window fails to ‘wind’ down. I can’t hear the power either. From what I’ve read on the forum here I am thinking that maybe it is the actuator?

Andrais…sssssss
Let's start at the back and work backwards:

4. The "-dries part is not pronounced as in "drying out" but as in the sound at the end of the name Anne-marie and just adding an "s" to it. The process could be understood by using he Greek Andreas and forget to pronounce the last "a". You are funny...

3. I do not think the actuator or the motor; maybe simply the switch in that little console between the seats - or even just a connecting terminal at the switch. Quite easy to get to that.

2. I can eat quite bit of good, dark chocolate cake (NOT the new fangled mousse type but the old style crumbly kind), so I'd like another piece please.

1. I am certainly not up for adoption. Adaption is about all I can entertain presently. . The reference to stray dogs was the way I feel about buying a Landrover - I have had many vehicles in my life and the three Landrovers have had quite an order of magnitude more issues than all the others put together - most of them totally silly, simply poor design and very limited quality control, if any.

That stray you had taken in... Does whole of society reject him or is he merely a clever user and manipulator of human weakness when he sees it? I think the Rover company is exactly that - having shifted owners so many times now in the last 20 years to avoid litigation and each new owner refusing to fix all the design and systemic problems of the brand. Some of us just like tinkering and fixing problems and so we are exploited by an insincere brand. In my country there is a saying:

"If you need to arrive in style take a Range Rover. If you need to arrive take a Mitsubishi Pajero (Montereo), or a Toyota Landcruiser".

They just go on for ever without anything breaking down. Not even regular maintenance can assure that on any Landrover.

:-) VERY true.

Last edited by MonteroMan; 04-01-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default my misunderstanding and I mispelled your name on purpose :)

Let's start at the back and work backwards:

4. The "-dries part is not pronounced as in "drying out" but as in the sound at the end of the name Anne-marie and just adding an "s" to it. The process could be understood by using he Greek Andreas and forget to pronounce the last "a". You are funny...

3. I do not think the actuator or the motor; maybe simply the switch in that little console between the seats - or even just a connecting terminal at the switch. Quite easy to get to that.

2. I can eat quite bit of good, dark chocolate cake (NOT the new fangled mousse type but the old style crumbly kind), so I'd like another piece please.

1. I am certainly not up for adoption. Adaption is about all I can entertain presently. . The reference to stray dogs was the way I feel about buying a Landrover - I have had many vehicles in my life and the three Landrovers have had quite an order of magnitude more issues than all the others put together - most of them totally silly, simply poor design and very limited quality control, if any.

That stray you had taken in... Does whole of society reject him or is he merely a clever user and manipulator of human weakness when he sees it? I think the Rover company is exactly that - having shifted owners so many times now in the last 20 years to avoid litigation and each new owner refusing to fix all the design and systemic problems of the brand. Some of us just like tinkering and fixing problems and so we are exploited by an insincere brand. In my country there is a saying:

"If you need to arrive in style take a Range Rover. If you need to arrive take a Mitsubishi Pajero (Montereo), or a Toyota Landcruiser".

They just go on for ever without anything breaking down. Not even regular maintenance can assure that on any Landrover.

:-) VERY true.
I hit a nerve... my apologies. Thank you for the nice words - they are very much appreciated.

Last edited by landlover_1; 04-01-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Default D1 engine turning over and starts in a flash

Originally Posted by TOM R
Soooo did you ever get the truck running?

Hi Tom,

The problem was an outgoing ignition amplifier module and it finally failed right at my home. All the symptoms and multimeter readings eventually pointed to it.

Local parts stores charge between $400 and $588 for the little rascall and I eventually got it on the internet for $31-80. Isn't that something - $588 for a little matchbox sized electronic voltage amplifier...

:-)

Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Thumbs up Adapt or die...

I hit a nerve... my apologies. Thank you for the nice words - they are very much appreciated.

You are exceedingly smart and I respect and appreciate that.

A bandage went around the leaking wound in the exhaust. What shall we do had it not been for bandages?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default I can also kiss it and make it better...xx

You are exceedingly smart and I respect and appreciate that.

A bandage went around the leaking wound in the exhaust. What shall we do had it not been for bandages?

I have a confession to make. After reading your last post I sat down and ate the rest of the chocolate cake. I think the ‘embarrassment’ of the situation I found myself in led me to it. I also think, Mr. Montero, that perhaps you should work a little more on the American English language because you use quite a few double entendres that could give a girl the wrong idea. You wouldn’t want to find yourself in a predicament out dare in the moundains of Colorado. Some old man may not take too kindly to you talkin to their daughder that way and may give you a what for.

But I’m ok with it because I’m the Princess of awkward social situations and am quite used to it. A good chocolate cake, a cry and a nap didn’t hurt in easing the embarrassment on my end either

After I awoke I consulted my magic 8-ball and asked it if I should write again on the forum and it told me that ‘it’s decidedly so’. So here I am.

As for dogs.. do they manipulate? I guess he did show some interests in my treats that I had for him – he would get a little gleam in his eye when I would ask him if he would ‘like a treat’ so I suppose maybe he did sense my ‘weakness’ for treating others (including dogs) well. And he never had to beg. Maybe I was easy prey?

So what I think I need to do is contact Cesar Millan (the dog whisperer) and see if he can help me. Hm.. I wonder if there is a ‘Rover Whisperer’ available too?

Regarding the switch.. how does one go about removing it? Is there a video for such a thing?

Andries…ssss…ssss…sssss… I’ve been saying your name all day and believe me, I got it right Glad you wrote back. btw.. why did you say 'start from the back and work backwards' and not 'start from the bottom and work your way up'?

R.

Last edited by landlover_1; 04-01-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 D1 Engine turns over but will not startup