Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 Disco Starts to overheat, then calms down

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if it will stop the overheat for sure or not but that's where I would start. Just unscrew the grill and pop off the trim under the lights, pop the grill off, and pull the fans out. If it is the left one (looking toward the engine) it will just unscrew and pull right out. If it is the right one it takes a little more work as you have to remove the screws for the condenser and take the hood latch assembly loose. When you pull off the grill and look you will see. It is pretty much common sense. The motor just has some screws that mount the fan to it. Simply job. All you need is a phillips screwdriver and a simple socket set. Don't forget you will need to splice the old connector onto the new motor. And heat shrink it for protection. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info discomedic, I will try to tackle it this weekend. Thanks again, I will report back if this does or doesn't aid my situation.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NP. Good luck. If you start tackling it and get hung up just give us a shout on here. I just did this not long ago so it is still fairly fresh.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All the recirculate mode on the HVAC does is close the HVAC system to the outside air.
The HVAC (heating ventilation air conditioning) system draws its air from infront of the windshield right behind the hood, open the hood and you will see the empty space under the windshield.
There is a door that allows outside air to be drawn into the cabin, press the re-circulate button and this door closes and the air inside the cabin recirculates around and is reused.
That is why your a/c is colder with that button on, it is easier to cool the already cool air inside the cabin than the 120*F air from outside the cabin.
If you lived up here and turned that button on in the winter time all the moisture from your breath would build up inside the cabin and the windows would fog and you would not beable to see.
Your a/c compressor has 2 settings, on and off. Thats all it knows, it does not know or care how hot or cold it is outside, if the re-circ button is on, if you have turned the temp ***** to hot or the HVAC fan on hi...it does not know or care.
You turned the a/c on, so it comes on, you turn it off, it shuts off.

As for your overheat issue, replace that bad electric fan and your fan clutch and your overheat issue will go away.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Spike, if the recirc is just closing that entryway does that mean that it does not add any extra stress to the engine or my mpgs? Is it fine to leave it on for long periods of time (say a 3-5 hour road trip)?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BURover
So Spike, if the recirc is just closing that entryway does that mean that it does not add any extra stress to the engine or my mpgs? Is it fine to leave it on for long periods of time (say a 3-5 hour road trip)?
Correct.
You can leave it on until the bulb burns out, replace the bulb and leave it on some more.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it still overheats after you replace your fan you may need to rod the radiator out. Mine did the same here in MS heat at 100plus while in traffic.