Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps we are forgetting a couple of things. (A) Will if fit through the door frames? (B) Can you get it out and put it on a hand truck / appliance mover? If you have stuff to protect the floor from the wheels, one guy can move a very big appliance on a dolly. Just hard to turn. If it was out, covered with plastic and shop towel to soak up any stray oil (is there any in there that is still liquid, or has all of it "gone to the Colonel" and become extra crispy?), might be able to do it without too much mess. Can rent hand trucks or dollies at U Haul. Harbor freight sells some nice ones cheap.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I was able to get my D2 out of park while doing an engine replacement in my garage by disconnecting the linkage at the transmission and manually selecting neutral at the transmission, Battery was removed, and without a battery, shifter inoperable. If I remember right, we had to roll it forward (it was backed in) out of the garage to get the clearance we needed to get the engine out (low garage).

Easily manageable by two people with all of that removed. Years ago, myself and another guy took a small block chevy (cast iron block and heads) off an engine stand, and held it for a few seconds while the stand was replaced.... and I'm 5'9" 140lbs...

Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout once you get the motor pulled you put the block on a furniture dolly. Jack the truck up and put it on 4 heavy duty jack stands. That should give you enough clearance to roll the motor out under the truck, no need to go thorough the house or contort yourself on the side.. Just trying to think outside the box a little for a solution.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you cant roll the truck out of the garage, just rent a heavy duty dolly and take the motor through the house. It's funny to think of this scenario as I just did the same thing about a month ago except it involved a Big Block Chevy. My dad and I were able to strap it to a hand truck, take it across the yard, up the stairs and through the house to its final resting place. It sucks but it beats trying to push a heavy vehicle up a hill back into the garage.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My brother and I picked up a complete Chevy 283 from our garage floor and loaded it into a pickup truck bed many years ago by the following method.

We bolted a short length of chain across the top of the intake using two of the engine bolts. We then slid an 8 foot long 2 by 4 thru the length of chain. With one of us at each end of the 2 by 4, we hunkered down and lifted the 2 by 4 onto our shoulders, lifted the engine from the floor, walked out of the garage to the pickup sitting a few feet away, one on each side of the pickup box and lowered the engine into the truckbed.

It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and my brother was a 140 pounder. He told me they did similar things to lift heavy objects in the old foundry where he was a machinist.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Worked all day on it. After a lot of work, grease, dirt, pain, frustration, all that stands between that engine and freedom is a few bolts holding it to the transmission. I got 5 out, but 3 are left and I swear there must be some secret tool to get these things out. There's no room to maneuver a wrench, ratchet, much less breaker bar even with many combinations of extensions and wobble joints! I'm going to go insane!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

I doubt it, but that certainly is a signal that more college football on TV is needed (take a break).

Since you started this project you have impressed many of us. You took on something that would more than challenge to many, and have made a success (so far) of it. At the office you would be what is called a "high performance" employee, the best thing your boss can do is give you a task, point you in the right direction, and get out of the way. The worst he could do is micro manage you.

When you get ready to move on from that firm, download your resume into CAD, print it on a single 3 X 4 foot sheet of plotter paper, put in a blue print tube, and FedEx to the CEO of the firm you want to work for. Not HR, but CE0. It won't fit in his in box, it will be opened at once (they think it is plans for review), and they will be impressed that you put your resume on one page. You'l get an interview.

If you can rebuild a Rover engine under the conditions you are working with, there is nothing in the business world that can't be conquered.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the wisdom and tips Buzz. Very valuable as usual

Finally here it is. It's out!
97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild-photo-21-.jpg

Here's the tool setup I had to use to get the right center engine-trans bolt out!
97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild-photo-22-.jpg

And finally, look how perfect they fit!
97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild-photo-23-.jpg

Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Well, at least one part of the truck is working as designed! BTW, you wing-tip wearing, RAID array re-striping, Rover wrencher - that tool set up looks like something out of a Dr. Suess book (about as far as I got with ma reedin').

Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That was quite a set up of extensions and wobble joints. Pretty impressive.

Don't stop there. Service the transmission filter while you got everything out of the way.

Quick Reply: 97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild