Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That crazy setup was about the only way I could figure to get it out without removing the exhaust and trans oil cooler lines. The others were pretty bad too. Even with the engine dropped lower on its mounts there's barely any room to get tools in there.

Oh yeah not stopping there at all. Lots of things I want to do while the engine is away.

Last edited by EricTyrrell; 10-17-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You'll be needing a moving cart to tote that credit card bill....

Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah it's definitely money hungry, but it's about time it gets some love.

Been preparing it to be moved by hand tomorrow to the machine shop. Removed starter, engine mounts, drive plate, ring gear, timing chain, and camshaft. I don't think it'll be too heavy at all now.

I tried removing the hub aligner but those Allen bolts are ridiculous. I thought the head bolts were bad, but even my 200 ft-lb impact wrench couldn't remove them.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried removing the hub aligner but those Allen bolts are ridiculous. I thought the head bolts were bad, but even my 200 ft-lb impact wrench couldn't remove them.

Pray tell, what is a hub aligner?

And if I may ask, why did you not want to remove the exhaust and the cooling lines? I had to replace one of my transmission cooler lines due to a pinhole caused by corrosion on the metal line in the driver's side wheel well area. I kept finding red fluid in the wheel well and thought the power steering reservoir or hoses were bad until I got underneath with it running and saw the fine spray coming from a pinhole in the line. Took quite a bit of looking to find that leak as it only leaked with engine running but kept wetting the wheel well with tranny fluid.

With that kind of miles on it, I would also look at the gaskets at the y-pipe as well. One side of mine had burned thru and that was at 112K.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-18-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Probably partly because I was tired and not looking forward to making a big mess of fluids again. Also it looked like it'd be "somewhat" easier, but maybe not enough to justify removing yet more stuff. Maybe I should have, maybe I yet will

Hub aligner is in the RAVE under something like "Drive Plate/Ring Gear Assembly Removal". Can't remember if it's in workshop or overhaul. Basically it sits on the end of the crankshaft where the drive plate is centered and connected to it. They must have loctited it.

Ohwell, it's out of my hands now. A buddy and I carried it out to the pickup and took it to the machine shop. It was pretty heavy even with nearly everything removed.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

You're gonna have the newest 15 year old car ever

Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 PM

Just think, when you do finish, it should go for fifteen or more years again.

I am learning a lot from your teardown, thankfully I have not had to get in there yet. Thanks for sharing all those pics with us. I do recall some of the fasteners are loc-tited from the factory. Some heat may help in loosening.

Tom probably has been there done that and could provide helpful info for tearing it down without destroying it.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

RE: You're gonna have the newest 15 year old car ever

Roxie Moxie has the new record on old truck new condition we think.... 117 miles, $2000, D2

Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Wow I can't believe she got a deal like that. Especially when compared to what I paid and am going to pay... Ohwell. I love my Disco.

Now that the engine is away I've turned my attention to other areas. I spent all evening scraping crud from the engine bay. I literally filled a bucket with it. Then I'm going over it with degreaser and cloth. Now where there was a thick layer of gunk there's nice shiny paint. I'll take pics at some point.

160k Disco gonna give roxiemoxie a run for her money

Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 AM

I started a thread like this on a different Landy forum. I have pulled the heads on my 4.6L to replace the head gaskets and while I was waiting for the UPS to deliver, I ported and polished the intake, heads, and exhaust manifolds. When put back together with a fresh tune up, this truck runs like a champ!

My future plans for mods are all based on improving the volumetric efficiency of the engine and reducing the under hood temps.

-Larger diameter exhaust pipe and free flowing muffler
-corvette high flow cats
-Dodge RAM air cleaner box to provide increased filter media for less restriction.
- replace viscus fan for electric fans

The only other mods i have in mind are ARB with winch and AT tires then the transfer case CDL mod.
Attached Thumbnails

Eric: when I saw this I thought of you. Port and polish while it is apart? It is from a thread on mods.

Quick Reply: 97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild