Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup, I've requested the machine shop look into porting the heads as well as larger valves. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from them for a week. I'm also looking into cerametallic coated headers and a larger viscous clutch and metal fan.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You are pretty much restricted to a six inch reverse rotation clutch, but there are non-stock options. slanginsanjan did it, but they sent him the wrong metal fan, blade orientation was wrong. Being so cheap I experimented with a Chevy model, see https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...ictures-44044/, moves more air, mpg this weekend was 15.9.

Not everyone has a Land Rover in their junkyard, but there is no shortage of Chevys.

Some go to the trouble to install electric fans, which does take away some load from the water pump. My concern would be that while that is fine for my Kia minivan, it is seldom confronted with slow speed AND high rpm. A Disco in low transfer case speed is very slow, but engine can be at high rpm, generating more heat than it would just at idle or slow traffic. I figured the deeper Chevy fan moves more air based on engine speed, so it solves that problem. MPG is MPG, those of us who bought these things as long range commuter vehicles have to pony up.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All sounds good to me, do one really thorough upgrade while you got it apart and you'll get your money's worth out of it in the long run. I've had mine for years, paid a higher price initially than what most are going for now of course with the depreciation, but mine has been relatively simple things so far.

Just cleaning my MAF well for the first time since I've had it, possibly first time ever, has made such a major improvement that I have to upgrade my prior evaluation of the LR 4.0. I barely cracked the throttle as it shifted from 1st to 2nd and the difference is amazing. The pig does have lots of get up and go now. Idles rock solid at 750, quietly I might add. Blip the throttle with it rolling and she really hauls *** compared to before. Brings back the thrill.

Get it right and you'll be a Happy Rover Guy.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-08-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

sound like some one left a carbon footprint in your MAF...

cleaned mine this weekend also.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That will have to be my next round, a fan clutch and the chevy fan huh. I already got the thermostat. Need to go thru the cooling system one good time.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the extentions and wobble joints to set up a similar arrangements, my problem is i cant even see where the bolts are at to get to them.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Pro Wrench

I had to feel around a lot as mine were covered in gunk anyways. I also had to place the socket/extension on the bolt from the top, and then crawl under and attach the rest. From underneath you should be able to peer up and feel around. It's easier if you remove the exhaust and trans oil cooler lines, but I was suborn.

It's scary knowing someone is going to copy something I do, specially that step :P

Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well, Harbor Freight has those spiffy $70 video cameras with a bendable hose mount.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Pro Wrench

Well I finally got the engine back from the machine shop today I'll let the photos speak for themselves. Now onto more hardware cleaning and waiting for parts to arrive.

97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild-photo-5-.jpg

97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild-photo-6-.jpg

Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Loookin' good, man! And now that the engine is that clean you won't be using that cheap regular gas will you?

Would not worry about the extra power, because nothing down stream is engineered to handle it. Things to increase cooling, etc., those are good.

Quick Reply: 97 Disco Bottom End Rebuild